• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Sony Asks: Why Do You Hack Your PSP?

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
psp_hacker_surveyb.jpg

According to a new survey being conducted by Sony Computer Entertainment, the company is apparently trying to figure out why PSP owners are hacking and running homebrew on their portable.

Not shown in the above screen cap, were questions questions like "Do you know of anyone who has "hacked," or modified, transferred and customized their PSP firmware and software."

Sony Wants To Know Why You're Hacking Your PSP [Kotaku]

Ztryfe

Yeah.. kinda lame, i could agree on "I can do more with a hacked psp than with an unhacked psp" However, I'm sure there is a logic and data-gathering reason for making this questions.

Cheezeball99

But I was committed after that birthday party...
>The benefits of getting free PSP content outweigh any of the negatives.

Negatives? That's a lose-lose question. Sony propaganda.

`Rage`

"Hacking a PSP makes me feel like a Rebel" LOL

Seriously, who wrote this? The Junior Sony Association?! It's like Sony is treating the well experienced hackers and legends of our time like adolescent teenage dropouts.

99% of people that would fill this out would have no experience in PSP hacking other then installing a CFW, if even that. I don't see Sony's logic in releasing something so... idiotic ... But then again, it is Sony.

Installing a CFW is not hardly the same as "Hacking" the PSP, though, it does help fill the potential that the PSP can handle.

There are so many LEGAL attributes that help out the PSP such as use of the infrared - A feature that was not embraced by Sony, but through the work of Homebrew, made it such a useful feature.

Given.. ISO/CSO's and Emulators for something such as the PSP would greatly hinder parts of the gaming industry. Sony won't stand for such things..

Hence why Sony can't possibly go for the Game Hacker Motto:
- "Gaming Without Boundaries"

Darkchild

The Doctor

Seriously, who wrote this? The Junior Sony Association?! It's like Sony is treating the well experienced hackers and legends of our time like adolescent teenage dropouts.

99% of people that would fill this out would have no experience in PSP hacking other then installing a CFW, if even that. I don't see Sony's logic in releasing something so... idiotic ... But then again, it is Sony.

Installing a CFW is not hardly the same as "Hacking" the PSP, though, it does help fill the potential that the PSP can handle.

There are so many LEGAL attributes that help out the PSP such as use of the infrared - A feature that was not embraced by Sony, but through the work of Homebrew, made it such a useful feature.

Given.. ISO/CSO's and Emulators for something such as the PSP would greatly hinder parts of the gaming industry. Sony won't stand for such things..

*claps* Such words...Touched me!

My dear friend, you took the words right out of my mouth!:thumbup:

Cleverly done!

Hanzo_f19

[insert custom user title here]
"I hack my PSP to see if I can get away with it?"

o_rly.jpg

"Hacking the PSP is worth the legal and technical risk"?

r-u-serious-owl.jpg

So I guess they see hackers as teenagers robbing banks (?)

Chafiro

I agree in all you say, and I think most of the community of psp users do too, but I don

Fako

does that means they gave up? i mean, if they release such survey, it must be because they're out of options, seeing that hackers greatly overpower their forces and such. they sound like beaten dogs, like "okay we won't try anymore to make unhackable fws".. just my two cents i guess..

TimTiger

Way to addicted to games.
Same here. we really need a link to the poll

Liam

<p>they are asking to understand how to improve their product and profit off those changes.</p>

angelsniper45

Yeah i agree we need a link to the actual poll, interesting either way though.

Simon19

lol me too, if there was a comments section i would probibly outline all of the PSP's missing FW features such as IR and homebrew support! Sony could provide a homebrew platform, look at chickHEN's features for example, can play homebrew, but not ISO's and home ripped PSX games but at the same time allowing the sony DRM'd stuff to work!

xCloneECKO

You wanna know why sony? Cause your stupid. I'm not a hacker, but I like my PSP's that I spent almost $500 on. My favorite games are the SOCOM ones (excluding hackers), I like them more than COD. The ONLY reason people hack is because of the people who put a 5 on almost every question on the survey. They only hack there PSP's so they can cheat on there little video games so they can actually say, "Oh, I'm ranked 3 on the leaderboards" or some stupid !@#$. Now people get mad, like me, because they can't show there "actual skill." What I mean is take FTB3 for instance, LAT-ER-AL should be ranked number one, but because of all the boosters, (wich I can guarentee 9/10 of them hack) hes ranked 10th. My friend on FTB3, --UnSp0keN, should be 10th on the boards but I think hes somewhere in the 40's. So, what happens now that a game only has a couple of new hackers? They decide to show the world about there new hacks after awile. The reason that other people would want ANY hacks is to be a "Anti-Hacker." Now things are getting worse because at the slightest sign of cheating, hacking or whatever (even if the guy is just good and its a misunderstanding) the room gets booted or banned, sometimes a "Anti-Hacker" just pulls out his hacks on someone until they leave the game. Once things like this happen more people get ticked and more people want to hack because they dont like other hackers and the only way to deal with a hacker is to be the better hacker. Wich always ends up in failure for both sides.
I guess to sum it all up, people hack because it's not fair when others hack. I guess there selfish persons thinks it's fair for everyone when they have the hacks on also, witch btw it's not. If you want it all to end, THEN PUT FOURTH SOME MONEY TOWARDS YOUR PORTABLE SYSTEMS SONY!
Oh and also, the fact that hackers can get free crap online made things worse.