• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Sony Finds Evidence Linking Hotz's PS3 To PSN Account

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor

ultimakillz

Teh Fett Mawn
surely they'll have to do better than an ip address that points to a town in new jersey and forums posts about jailbreaking phones, right? that doesnt really prove anything to me.

sonyyoco

hip hip hooray hip hip hooray, long live Sony and its wonderful products. I love my PS3 the way Sony made it, UNHACKED! thank you very much. I hope Mr. Geodouche is enjoying his vacation with the money all you dumbasses donated to him. LOL

TeamOverload

surely they'll have to do better than an ip address that points to a town in new jersey and forums posts about jailbreaking phones, right? that doesnt really prove anything to me.

The PS3 serial number used to connect matched up with one that he purchased as well. To be fair, that still doesn't prove that it was indeed HIM who created the account, but it is in fact his system at the very least.

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
The PS3 serial number used to connect matched up with one that he purchased as well. To be fair, that still doesn't prove that it was indeed HIM who created the account, but it is in fact his system at the very least.

It's still considered his console however and that account will be tied to him under the law. Also the account name also appears online in various locations discussing jailbreaking, something we all know GeoHot does quite a bit of. All I can say is "ruh-oh". Something that would've definitely helped him in the trial, not having a PSN account, has backfired on him.

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
hip hip hooray hip hip hooray, long live Sony and its wonderful products. I love my PS3 the way Sony made it, UNHACKED! thank you very much. I hope Mr. Geodouche is enjoying his vacation with the money all you dumbasses donated to him. LOL

Just because he's on a vacation in South America does not mean he used legal funds to do so.

He could have been planning the trip months ago, before all this happened. Who knows? There's no reason he should put his life on hold. It's a shame to see 'reputable' sites like Eurogamer reporting that he's fled the country.

What is concerning, though, is that he apparently did not deliver the hard drives in an operational state.

ultimakillz

Teh Fett Mawn
yea, i didnt see that until i got a little ways into the document. good luck getting out of that one :argh:

Spiros

Maiki
This is ridiculous, they're grasping at straws here. Anyway, why is having the trial in California so important, I thought the DMCA was a federal thing and would be the same throughout the country?

Either way, I still don't see where he broke the law.

XsavioR

Because he has to fly there every time. Court is about as inefficient as things get. He will land up spending as much traveling as he will on court costs. Simply because of its location. Where as sony is a giant corporation which will not be effected in any way because of the location.

El Xando

"Dam whippersnapper"
It says blickmanic for both things :p

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
It says blickmanic for both things :p

In the forum post Sony cites, it says blickmaniac, despite them stating earlier that it references blickmanic...

Edit I see I mixed them up in the article, fixed.

Josey Wales

Evil Poptart
Geohot is never going to win this trial, nor did he ever had a chance.

His first mistake was revealing who he was..

Adiuvo

He could have been planning the trip months ago, before all this happened. Who knows? There's no reason he should put his life on hold. It's a shame to see 'reputable' sites like Eurogamer reporting that he's fled the country.
If he's asking for donations to fund his legal fees he shouldn't be using any money, even his own, to pay for a vacation. If you have the money for a vacation, why do you need help on your legal fees to the point of you publicly asking for donations?

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
If he's asking for donations to fund his legal fees he shouldn't be using any money, even his own, to pay for a vacation. If you have the money for a vacation, why do you need help on your legal fees to the point of you publicly asking for donations?

I'm sure the money he's using for the trip is insignificant compared to his defense costs. He racked up $10k in a few weeks, it's probably triple that now.

Regardless, we also don't even know if he paid for it. Could be on a trip with family.

Adiuvo

I'm sure it is as well. It's more of a principle thing. Personally if I asked for donations I certainly wouldn't be spending any extra cash I had on something as large as a vacation until the matter is cleared up.

If he didn't pay for it I don't mind though.

TeamOverload

Interesting if this is true.
psx-scene said:
As for Sony's claims that Hotz has a PSN account under the name "Blickmaniac," they should probably take a closer look at the forum post they are using as evidence, since the geotag in the picture posted by the user leads to Cambridge, MA. That's not even close to New Jersey the last time we checked. So, yeah, life's good.
http://psx-scene.com/forums/f6/geohot-flees-south-america-83925/

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
Geohot responded...

http://geohotgotsued.blogspot.com/

Factually, it's true I'm in South America, on a vacation I've had planned and paid for since November. I mean, it is Spring break; hacking isn't my life. Rest assured that not a dime of legal defense money would ever go toward something like this. And of course Townsend loves the idea of painting me as an international fugitive. I have been in contact with my lawyers almost every day; I would not let the case suffer. That said, I also won't let this ridiculous lawsuit run my life either. Then the fearmongerers win.