• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

PS3 Sony To Restore PSN Access This Week, Will Reward Users With Free Content And PS Plus Subscription

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
kaz1.jpg

Sony has come forward with an update on the PlayStation Network security breach that left 77 million accounts compromised, announcing that services will resume this week.

Earlier today, PlayStation boss Kaz Hirai took to the stage in Tokyo to address concerns regarding the intrusion. The company noted that the breach was a result of "a skilled intruder who took steps to cover his tracks." The hacker created a tool inside PSN's web application server, subsequently allowing access to databases used to store customer information.

Sony says of 77 million PSN users, 10 million accounts had credit card information on file[...]

Continue reading: Sony To Restore PSN Access This Week, Will Reward Users With Free Content And PS Plus Subscription...

Hellcat

Contributor
That doesn't sound too bad.

Glad they DO give a "compensation", can't wait for the dust to settle and everthing giong back to normal.
I hope its more "early" this week than "late" this week....

Dan

Contributor
Glad that we've finally been told what's been going on. Not knowing was the worst bit.

Though the Playstation Plus thing is a bit stupid, I thought all content becomes invalid when it runs out?

Sousanator

Shockingly Delicious
Good thing my prediction came true. It will help Sony recuperate some of its loss through the new members who get hooked on PS+.

eldiablov

Contributor
Glad that we've finally been told what's been going on. Not knowing was the worst bit.

Though the Playstation Plus thing is a bit stupid, I thought all content becomes invalid when it runs out?

Yes? It's good business imo.

MenaceInc

Staff Member

Yep, it will :troll:

As someone somewhere said, it's a hook to get people hooked into PSN+

january39

eXo Staff
I am considering buying psn+ so a month free will be good to see if it is any good. Better than nothing as well.

Dan

Contributor
Just seems like a crappy form of compensation. I'd rather have store credit or something.

"Here's a temporary reward, but you have to give it back at the end of the month."

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
Not a fan of the reward. It would be fine for compensating us for the downtime that PSN has received but not for the loss of our personal information. Why aren't they offering credit protection services?

january39

eXo Staff
Not a fan of the reward. It would be fine for compensating us for the downtime that PSN has received but not for the loss of our personal information. Why aren't they offering credit protection services?

Since they do not believe such data was obtained by the hacker, they have advised an 'abundance of caution' and also offered a ID theft service, which really is the bigger issue. I have a new CC now and long since cancelled the other card.

PSN being down over the easter hols was a bummer at best, but the CC detail scandal is another altogether.

MenaceInc

Staff Member
Umm, Sony have offered to cover the costs of renewing credit cards and if I remember correctly, they've offered some form of credit protection service as well. I'll need to check the conference checklist again though which discussed the points made by Sony.

Hirai said that no improper CC usage has been reported and they have no evidence of CC info being compromised. They said that Sony will pay for CC reissuing and assist with monitoring/insurance programs for customers. If there are any improper charges, they will be handled on a case-by-case basis.
http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/h1anz/key_points_from_the_sony_conference/

january39

eXo Staff
Umm, Sony have offered to cover the costs of renewing credit cards and if I remember correctly, they've offered some form of credit protection service as well. I'll need to check the conference checklist again though which discussed the points made by Sony.

http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/h1anz/key_points_from_the_sony_conference/

I never ever been charged for a re-issue card, not sure what they mean by that really, i suppose it is the thought that counts though

MenaceInc

Staff Member
I never ever been charged for a re-issue card, not sure what they mean by that really, i suppose it is the thought that counts though

Neither have I so I'm assuming it's more so for people in the US or others who have dickish banks.

Dan

Contributor
It refers to the production cost of cards, from the banks' perspective.

Edit what

Diagram-Hack-600x476.jpg

Josey Wales

Evil Poptart
Speaking as an American who has had bank/credit accounts in multiple states; Ive never been charged for new cards as long as the reason wasnt suspicious like "So I can have two of them".

ultimakillz

Teh Fett Mawn
Yep, it will :troll:
im having a hard time seeing why everyone (not here, necessarily, but the collective "everyone") is so content with a reward package that will expire after 30 days. am i the only one who is kinda pissed about this? i would have rather not take anything than take something i can access for 30 days then is taken away from me :\