• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Using The Universal Unbricker To Unbrick / Downgrade / Restore Any PSP To 5.00 M33-4

Zolo_

MY friend you are a life saver!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

One question though, Can I back-up my MMS, and restore my mem stock with the stuff I backed-up?

And can I use this method to install 3.90 cfw on other non hacked psps?

flannelfoot

i dont know about backing up but yes ofcourse u can use it to load 3.90 cfw on a psp with official firmware on it... thats what its made for!

nekirhs

My universal unbricker is already set to install 3.71 M33.
Is there a shortcut I can use to make it install 3.90 M33 instead, without having to go through all this?
Like replacing some files or something.

gooders

Ive followed the guide to a t, but when i put memory stick and pandora battery in psp the green light comes on and screen stays balnk any ideas why?

Acerthief

Ive followed the guide to a t, but when i put memory stick and pandora battery in psp the green light comes on and screen stays balnk any ideas why?

Take everything out of your PSP (memory stick, battery), hold it and dance around for 20 seconds (I perfer chacha or breakin) then stick the memory stick back FIRST, then the battery.

If it doesn't work, well, install the memory stick again.

lp4u

can this method be used for a 3.71 running OFW? if no, what can be done? it said "Using The Universal Unbricker To Unbrick / Downgrade / Restore Any PSP To 3.90 M33-3 " so i presumed it should work for 3.71 OFW?

Acerthief

can this method be used for a 3.71 running OFW? if no, what can be done? it said "Using The Universal Unbricker To Unbrick / Downgrade / Restore Any PSP To 3.90 M33-3 " so i presumed it should work for 3.71 OFW?

Yes, any firmware, any console.

Vef

How to find the kernel version

Hello,

I have a slim PSP which is on custom firmware 3.71M33. I want to make a magic memory stick with version 3.90M33-3 using the tutorial from x3sphere.

However, I'm already stuck at the 1st line "make sure the GAME folder homebrew setting is set to 3.X Kernel".

How do I define this kernel? When I boot up to the recovery menu (R + power on), I get the following topics in the configuration menu:

- Skip Sony logo
- Hide corrupt icons
- Autorun program at /PSP/GAME/EBOOT/EBOOT.PBP
- UMD Mode
- Fake region
- Free UMD region
- Hard Reset on homebrew
- Use VshMenu
- XMB Usb Device

Normally, I was expecting to see a line such as "Game Folder Homebrew (currently : 3.71 Kernel) in this configuration menu

I suppose I have the requested 3.xx kernel, but I'm not sure. Please help me.

Thanks,
Vef

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
Hello,

I have a slim PSP which is on custom firmware 3.71M33. I want to make a magic memory stick with version 3.90M33-3 using the tutorial from x3sphere.

However, I'm already stuck at the 1st line "make sure the GAME folder homebrew setting is set to 3.X Kernel".

How do I define this kernel? When I boot up to the recovery menu (R + power on), I get the following topics in the configuration menu:

- Skip Sony logo
- Hide corrupt icons
- Autorun program at /PSP/GAME/EBOOT/EBOOT.PBP
- UMD Mode
- Fake region
- Free UMD region
- Hard Reset on homebrew
- Use VshMenu
- XMB Usb Device

Normally, I was expecting to see a line such as "Game Folder Homebrew (currently : 3.71 Kernel) in this configuration menu

I suppose I have the requested 3.xx kernel, but I'm not sure. Please help me.

Thanks,
Vef

The setting should be in-between Hide corrupt icons and Autorun. It's not there? That's VERY odd but try running the program anyway... if it doesn't work it will just output an error message. If that happens, then create a folder called GAME371 alongside GAME on your memory stick and place the application folders in there instead.

Vef

Hi x3sphere,

Indeed it is very strange, but there is no info about the kernel in-between Hide corrupt icons and Autorun, even though I'm on 3.71M33.

But anyway, I followed your instructions in the guide and it ran smoothly. I did not receive any error messages while making the magic memory stick, so I suppose there will be no further issues when upgrading to 3.90M33-3.

By the way, I suppose I can use this same memory stick to upgrade a fat PSP which is still on original firmware. Or do I need additional files on this memory stick because it's a fat PSP. It's for a friend of mine and I want to be completely sure not to harm his PSP.

Many thanks anyway for the support and the awesome good tutorial!!!

Vef

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
Hi x3sphere,

Indeed it is very strange, but there is no info about the kernel in-between Hide corrupt icons and Autorun, even though I'm on 3.71M33.

But anyway, I followed your instructions in the guide and it ran smoothly. I did not receive any error messages while making the magic memory stick, so I suppose there will be no further issues when upgrading to 3.90M33-3.

By the way, I suppose I can use this same memory stick to upgrade a fat PSP which is still on original firmware. Or do I need additional files on this memory stick because it's a fat PSP. It's for a friend of mine and I want to be completely sure not to harm his PSP.

Many thanks anyway for the support and the awesome good tutorial!!!

Vef

Yeah, the same memory stick can be used to install 3.90 M33 on a fat PSP. No additional files are needed.

dark

thanks

thanks alot dude it worked really well for me and i waz able 2 downgrade mine to 3.90m33-3

Vandel212

I wanted to downgrade my PSP from 3.95 GEN to 3.90 M33-3. I did everything that I was supposed to do and it did it succesfully, but when I try to boot my PSP while holding UP on the d-pad it just boots into the XMB.

Warclock

I have 3.90 M33-3 and try to make the magic memory stick but it gave me error to install 150.PBP ..."error while initializing: 0x80ca0005" I let it there waiting to install but look like it done nothing. I wonder how long do you have to wait for intall 150? I waited for 30 mins but still at the same screen.

I tried different memory sticks but it's the same error

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
I have 3.90 M33-3 and try to make the magic memory stick but it gave me error to install 150.PBP ..."error while initializing: 0x80ca0005" I let it there waiting to install but look like it done nothing. I wonder how long do you have to wait for intall 150? I waited for 30 mins but still at the same screen.

I tried different memory sticks but it's the same error

First try re-downloading the 150.PBP as it may be corrupted. It doesn't take too long to setup the magic memory stick, probably around 15 minutes or so, if that.

Also, are you sure your memory stick is not fake? There's a good guide here on how to identify counterfeit sticks:

http://reviews.ebay.com.au/FAKE-Son...Gate-Cards-Exposed_W0QQugidZ10000000001535703

These memory sticks usually have problems with generating the magic memory stick files, since the process is very read/write intensive.

Warclock

First try re-downloading the 150.PBP as it may be corrupted. It doesn't take too long to setup the magic memory stick, probably around 15 minutes or so, if that.

Also, are you sure your memory stick is not fake? There's a good guide here on how to identify counterfeit sticks:

http://reviews.ebay.com.au/FAKE-Son...Gate-Cards-Exposed_W0QQugidZ10000000001535703

These memory sticks usually have problems with generating the magic memory stick files, since the process is very read/write intensive.

Thanks for reply. I have tried all kind of setup but nothing working. Then I tried Card Adapter, then no problem at all. The problem is PBP extension has problem transfer from USB directly to PSP. The best way is to insert the memory stick to USB Card Adapter and transfer PBP.

I may want to add this in the tutorial so it can eliminate this issue. :biggrin:

lp4u

one stupid question. i've bought a psp slim(don't know which motherboard or firmware) and its getting shipped right now. just wanted to know how to proceed to install cfw. will this guide works? btw i already have a fat one running 3.90m33-3. is the step needing the 1.50 firmware necessary because i've read that the slim doesn't support it?

can someone please help me with this? thanks in advance