• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Watchmen

Adiuvo

I saw The Watchmen with some friends. It's absolutely horrible. You know how people say sex and gore sell in movies? This one takes the cake. I thought the writing in it was decent, but the director was horrible, as well as most of the actors. One memorable scene of bad actors is when [BLACKOUT]Rorchash dies, and Night Owl does a famous Vader 'nooo.' It sounded horribly forced, and delayed.[/BLACKOUT] Definitely not recommended.

Adiuvo

Nooooooooooooooo

I thought it was going to be awesome :(

Looking at reviews, most people disagree with me. It seems like the movie is a hit and miss. A few reviewers agreed with me (one even mentioned the 'nooo' part), but most praise it being completely faithful to the comic, and 'visually stunning.'

twelve

I'm not dead
I saw The Watchmen with some friends. It's absolutely horrible. You know how people say sex and gore sell in movies? This one takes the cake. I thought the writing in it was decent, but the director was horrible, as well as most of the actors. One memorable scene of bad actors is when [BLACKOUT]Rorchash dies, and Night Owl does a famous Vader 'nooo.' It sounded horribly forced, and delayed.[/BLACKOUT] Definitely not recommended.
I couldn't disagree more. I just got back from it and absolutely loved it. It certainly exceeded my expectations

I got cramp in my thigh half way through and even that couldn't ruin it.

Chathurga

I couldn't disagree more. I just got back from it and absolutely loved it. It certainly exceeded my expectations

I got cramp in my thigh half way through and even that couldn't ruin it.

I'll probably agree with you, first and last time I ever listen to Adiuvo.

Abe Froeman

Gamer Dad
Enforcer Team
I'm going either tomorrow or Sunday, can't wait.

I was watching Howard Stern earlier and they said that the first 40 minutes of it were amazing. Also said it has a solid soundtrack, they were playing Dillon, etc.

Adiuvo

Oh yeah, the soundtrack really was great. That part of the movie I loved, and during the first twenty minutes it perfectly went along with the 'old age' thing they were going on about.

It's the middle for me that made me dislike it. The beginning was superb, and the ending was pretty good ([BLACKOUT]especially Adrian's plan for peace[/BLACKOUT]), but the middle where they showed Night Owl's and Silk Spectre's [BLACKOUT]love for each other;[/BLACKOUT] I thought it was too stretched out. It really didn't even play a big part of the movie plot wise. I could understand if it did, but it felt like it was just there for the sake of it.

Mister Chief

Have you read the book, Adiuvo?

I'm going to go see it on Monday with a couple of friends after school. I was just at the cinemas and there were a ton of people there who I can only assume were there to see Watchmen.

twelve

I'm not dead
Have you read the book, Adiuvo?

I'm going to go see it on Monday with a couple of friends after school. I was just at the cinemas and there were a ton of people there who I can only assume were there to see Watchmen.
I'm gonna guess that he hasn't because it's very faithful. The story is spot on, some of the back story on lesser characters has been cut but nothing that's integral to the main story.

I went to the 22:30 showing last night and was stunned with how busy it was. I tend to go to late showings because there's generally less people, but in the biggest screen in the multiplex it was over half full. What's even more amazing is that it's rated 18 (which is law over here) and almost 3 hours long, combine that with the late time and it really is amazing how full the cinema was.

I can honestly say this is the first time in years that something has lived up to the hype for me.

Vee

Looks like a cool movie, but i hadn't heard of this comic book before the movie. Since when was it the "most celebrated graphic novel" evar?

twelve

I'm not dead
Looks like a cool movie, but i hadn't heard of this comic book before the movie. Since when was it the "most celebrated graphic novel" evar?
Probably because it's aimed at adults. You don't tend to pick up on these things at a young age.

Had you heard of Sin City before the movie?

Joey

When talking about what you thought of the movie, please state whether you read the novel.

---------- Post added at 06:38 AM EST ---------- Previous post was at 06:37 AM EST ----------

Since Time magazine put in on it's "Top 100 novels of all time".

Watchmen - ALL-TIME 100 Novels - TIME

That's fairly high praise, me thinks.

Vee

Probably because it's aimed at adults. You don't tend to pick up on these things at a young age.

Had you heard of Sin City before the movie?

I hadn't no. But i knew of V for Vendetta before the movie.

Tell me, are "Graphic Novels" and comic books the same thing? I can understand this being the most celebrated graphic novel, if Superman and Batman didn't fall under the same catogerie.

Vee

Graphic Novels are like comic books, however they have a much more in depth storyline.

I'm really gutted that I can't go see this, as it's an 18 over here.

I'm sure it'll pop up on the internet. Atleast thats what i'm relying on.

Anyway, i found this on google. Greatest Comic Book Characters. Even though its a list of characters, it still gives you an indication of what i think are the best comic books. Superman being first, followed by Batman, Spiderman and Wolverine.

Abe Froeman

Gamer Dad
Enforcer Team
I just have one question that may be a spoiler of sorts to thise who have seen it. Is the pirate sub-story in this at all?