• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Water Found on the Moon

Adiuvo

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
I looked at this news with a bit of perplexity, if there was no life whatsoever on the moon, how come there is water there?

Still this is a breakthrough that leaves us to wonder many things.

Chathurga

Because water is a compound of hydrogen and oxygen and is easily formed? Why would water need life to exist?

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
Because water is a compound of hydrogen and oxygen and is easily formed? Why would water need life to exist?

I suck at science tbh. xD Plus I only had science up till 9th grade... Which was a loooooooooooooooooooong time ago.

NoEffex

Seth's On A Boat.
MORE SCIENCE GET. Science wins.

That's like saying if Hydrogen exists, science wins. Water's a simple compound, but an awesome one at that.

I'd love to see what comes out of this. It'd be pretty cool if we did manage to get people living up there on the moon, supplied by moonwater.

Riorio99

It may not be important, but this is just one step. Discovery of water on the Moon is somewhat important. Sucks that the moon didn't blow up though. That would have been awesome.

agentnnc

That Guy I Am
It may not be important, but this is just one step. Discovery of water on the Moon is somewhat important. Sucks that the moon didn't blow up though. That would have been awesome.

If it did, or if the orbit changed, our tides would get royally screwed up.
Is it really worth the show?

Hellcat

Contributor
Water is the most common element in the known universe, so I am not wondering they (finally) found some on the moon.

That said, there is/was no life on the moon (IMHO) and (IMHO) there never will be - unless humans colonise it.

Way more interesting is water on Mars.
Mars is supposed to have been quite earth like (M-class) "some time ago", so there might have been life on that old rock once....

Abe Froeman

Gamer Dad
Enforcer Team
[HIGHLIGHT]Water is the most common element in the known universe, so I am not wondering they (finally) found some on the moon.[/HIGHLIGHT]

That said, there is/was no life on the moon (IMHO) and (IMHO) there never will be - unless humans colonise it.

Way more interesting is water on Mars.
Mars is supposed to have been quite earth like (M-class) "some time ago", so there might have been life on that old rock once....

Water is not an element, and if I had to guess, Hydrogen would be the most common element since it is what makes up the lions share of a star's composition.

Also, "M-class" is a fictional Start Trek term.

I think it's a very interesting find since the frozen water can potentially be used for numerous tasks to help support a colony of some sort in the future.

Isn't the Moon theorised to have once been a part of the Earth?

I think that's correct. I'm sure I heard that somewhere along the line when I was in school. Something collided with the planet when it was still forming and the resulting chunk became the moon. Or something to that effect.

agentnnc

That Guy I Am

Off Topic: In Stark Trek, M-Class reffered to a planet that was barely livable (but harsh conditions). Earth is good for supporting life. Therefore, Earth is not M-class.

Just wanted to throw that out there :p

MenaceInc

Staff Member
Water is not an element, and if I had to guess, Hydrogen would be the most common element since it is what makes up the lions share of a star's composition.

Maybe he was refering to the old idea of elements? Like earth, fire, water and air? xD

eldiablov

Contributor
Huh. I thought NASA were bombing the moon for fun.

The section you are in is called smart talk and what this means is that certain people should just look at what's going on unless they have a piece of intelligent input. In other words, posts like yours break smart talk rules.

z2442

hey

so this is rely good right water can be broken down into oxygen and carbon dioxide right so then wouldnt that make moon base much easyer to maintain ?