• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

When is the price drop coming?

Abe Froeman

Gamer Dad
Enforcer Team
I read this article earlier today and wanted to share it. We all know that hardware costs go down the longer a product is mass produced. This gives a nice little comparison and some dollars and cents breakdown of the first gen PS3 versus the current ones being produced. The below combined with the lackluster fourth quarter sales has to bring about a price drop to around $250 if they want to stay competitive. (In my opinion) The first quarter of this year is too important to lose more ground in. I wouldn't doubt a drop by February.

Sony Corp.’s new-generation PlayStation 3 (PS3) features a cost-reduced design due to integration and some key changes in components from the previous-generation model, according to a teardown conducted by iSuppli Corp.

Based on pricing from October 2008, the latest version of the PS3 carries a combined Bill of Materials (BOM), manufacturing and box-content cost of $448.73, a 35 percent reduction from $690.23 for the first-generation model, using pricing from mid 2007, according to iSuppli’s Teardown Analysis service. This total doesn’t include other costs, including software, box contents and royalty expenses.

A portion of the cost decrease is attributable to normal learning curve and supply/demand factors that bring component prices down over time. A more significant factor is the clever integration of discrete components into the core silicon of the PS3, dramatically reducing the component count. The new generation PS3 contains an estimated 2,820 individual parts, compared to 4,048 in the previous-generation model with a 60Gbyte hard drive. This also dramatically reduces the overall cost of the console.

While the previous generation PS3 was sold by Sony at a significant loss, which the company made up for via game title sales and royalties, the new version may help stanch the hardware red ink. “With its new-generation PS3, Sony has come closer to breaking even, although it probably hasn’t quite reached that mark yet,” said Andrew Rassweiler, director and principal analyst, teardown services, for iSuppli. “With iSuppli’s estimated PS3 cost at $448.73, the product retailing in the United States at around $399 and taking into account other expenses, the PS3 may be able to break even in 2009 with further hardware revisions.”

The PS3 accounted for 16.4 percent of global video game unit shipments in the second quarter of 2008, second only to the Nintendo Wii, which accounted for 54.2 percent of the market.

A whole new game
All of the key Integrated Circuits ICs) in the new PS3 have undergone changes and employ more advanced process geometry compared to the previous model. These key parts, which include Nvidia’s Reality Synthesizer, IBM’s Cell Broadband Engine and Toshiba’s I/O controller, now are made using 65 nanometer (nm) process technology, compared to 90nm before. This helps to cut power consumption and to reduce the number of discrete components in the console.

More importantly, it appears that each of these ICs has been redesigned to augment functionality and to integrate hordes of previously discrete components that now have disappeared from the PS3.

Less power and fewer dollars
Another key shift is the reduction of the entire power budget for the PS3. One of the key benefits to migrating the core integrated circuits to 65nm is the drastically reduced power consumption, which, in a nutshell, means a less expensive power supply. The new PS3 hardware features a Delta Electronics power supply (probably multi-sourced) priced at $21.50, down 30.1 percent from the $30.75 Sony part used in the previous version of the console.

MEMS machinations
Another key component supplier shift in the latest PS3 is the use of a Kionix Inc. three-axis Microelectromechanical System (MEMS) accelerometer in the controller unit that replaces the Hokuriku Electronic Industry Co. Ltd. part. The Kionix accelerometer is priced at 90 cents, down more than 60 percent from $2.35 for the previously employed component.

iSuppli’s preceding teardown of the PS3 in 2007 revealed it contains a three-axis accelerometer from Hokuriku—which, interestingly, featured a package that was smaller than the present offering from Kionix. Initially a minority supplier to the PS3, Kionix displaced Hokuriku as the No.-1 supplier beginning April 2007 onward.

“Kionix has been very aggressive on pricing during the last two years, helping it to earn this key design win,” said J

twelve

I'm not dead
I heard somewhere that apparently they're not planning another price drop until 2010. If that is the case then I guess Sony have fallen out with money or something.

user friendly

Definitely early 09. Combining the drop with KZ2 or RE5 would be a smart move. Maybe fire their current marketing group, they can't keep advertising like they did with the PS2. I personally like some of the ads but they seem to think the PS3 is already successful as the PS2 was. It's like they don't think they have to start over and that they can just continue riding the coat tales of the PS2.

Abe Froeman

Gamer Dad
Enforcer Team
Definitely early 09. Combining the drop with KZ2 or RE5 would be a smart move. Maybe fire their current marketing group, they can't keep advertising like they did with the PS2. I personally like some of the ads but they seem to think the PS3 is already successful as the PS2 was. It's like they don't think they have to start over and that they can just continue riding the coat tales of the PS2.

I hear that. The 360 ads are much more to the point and they are targeting families more often now. I must have seen the one advertising the new Indiana Jones and Kung Fu Panda plus a console for $200 about three times last night.

Seth

MD Party Room
The PS3 accounted for 16.4 percent of global video game unit shipments in the second quarter of 2008, second only to the Nintendo Wii, which accounted for 54.2 percent of the market.

I dont understand does this mean sales are up for the ps3?

Bump:
I hear that. The 360 ads are much more to the point and they are targeting families more often now. I must have seen the one advertising the new Indiana Jones and Kung Fu Panda plus a console for $200 about three times last night.
I dont like the rockband and netflix ads they been doing...

Adiuvo

The only good ad Sony has is the PSN one with the shirts, but only people who are already gamers will understand it.

Surprisingly, it's the one they show the most too.

user friendly

MS has amazing advertising. GearsofWar ad was brilliant.

As obnoxious (after the 20th time) as they were the "Do you want it" ads are the type of ads they should be airing.

twelve

I'm not dead
MS has amazing advertising. GearsofWar ad was brilliant.

As obnoxious (after the 20th time) as they were the "Do you want it" ads are the type of ads they should be airing.

The ones with the Saliva song? They're great ads. They seem to put out some decent ads in the cinema over here but people don't go to the cinema as much as they watch TV so they're focus is in the wrong place.

Even those cinema ads are only for exclusives. Microsoft advertise big name multi platform games so people buy the 360 for them.

Vee

I remember reading a kotaku article, that said the Sony are still making a loss on every PS3 sold, even with all these new parts. If thats true, why would Sony make the price even lower?

Adiuvo

If they get a bigger install base then that's more people buying games, DLC, all the stuff that they easily do make a profit off of. It's really common to sell the actual system at a loss, then make it up with revenue from content that is cheap to produce, but winds up expensive when you buy it.

mohaas05

It's sad that Sony is making the highest quality product and losing money off of it while Nintendo is making a cheapass product that is selling like hotcakes.

Sullivan

Mainly all I see in "PS3" ads, are a bunch of games all packed into one. And the majority of the commercial is based around "Blu Ray" which isn't a bad target, but it seems like its not working out to well for them.

Oh: Our wii, just sits next to the PS3, collecting dust. I find my PS3 much more entertaining then the Wii by faaar. My 3 younger siblings find the PS3 more entertaining then the Wii too, they say its gets boring after a little while, while on the PS3, you can play for hours.

Vee

In my opinion, for Sony to sell, they just need to make it a perfect round price, and have it one good bundle.

I think if Killzone 2 is advertised alot, then they do a 360 style advert with the "console costs

Abe Froeman

Gamer Dad
Enforcer Team
I doubt a Killzone bundle will bring an increase in anything. People who would be interested in that game already have a PS3. No parent is going to see a commercial for a FPS and think "Thats the perfect bundle for my 11 year old.!!!!!"

@mohaas - Why is it sad to you that one company is making profits?

Mister Chief

The reason the PS3 is selling less than the 360 is price.

Period.

As long as it is priced so highly they will continue to trail in sales.

Blackout

Advertise more into Major hit Ps3 games and Bluray. Explain how you can get the Playstation 3 with games, music, and High Definition movies at a reasonable price. Isn't the PS3 the cheapest bluray player out still? Not to mention the ability to play games, I don't see why people aren't jumping on this.

Vee

I doubt a Killzone bundle will bring an increase in anything. People who would be interested in that game already have a PS3. No parent is going to see a commercial for a FPS and think "Thats the perfect bundle for my 11 year old.!!!!!"

@mohaas - Why is it sad to you that one company is making profits?

Fair enough, but it does need to be bundled with a major game, available only on the PS3. Can you think of anything like that, thats enjoyable for 11 year olds?