• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

When is the price drop coming?

Nero

Mmmm...cookies
Abe, I think an 11 year old would go for the Wii. Hardcore gamers would really go for the 360 or the PS3. So something like killzone 2 bundled with other games would be perfect imo.

twelve

I'm not dead
Advertise more into Major hit Ps3 games and Bluray. Explain how you can get the Playstation 3 with games, music, and High Definition movies at a reasonable price. Isn't the PS3 the cheapest bluray player out still? Not to mention the ability to play games, I don't see why people aren't jumping on this.
Stand alone bluray players are cheaper now. And have the added bonus of a remote and HDMI cable out of the box.

If Sony really want to sell the PS3 as a bluray player then they should do a bundle with the remote and an HDMI cable included (in fact HDMI should be included regardless of what bundle it is).

Vee

Stand alone bluray players are cheaper now. And have the added bonus of a remote and HDMI cable out of the box.

If Sony really want to sell the PS3 as a bluray player then they should do a bundle with the remote and an HDMI cable included (in fact HDMI should be included regardless of what bundle it is).

But if you were to market it as a blu-ray player, those customers wont then go on and buy video games for it, as they bought it for movies. So sony wouldn't be making that money back, right?

I think the reason they dont bundle HDMI cables in, is because HDTV owners are still a minority. So by bundling it, your having to put both cables, for whatever TV they might have.

Personally, everyone that i know that has a PS3 and a HDTV, went and got a HDMI cable immediately. Especially as stores like GAME have been putting them in bundles.

user friendly

Isn't the PS3 the cheapest bluray player out still? Not to mention the ability to play games, I don't see why people aren't jumping on this.

The PS3 is no longer the cheapest BD player on the market but IMO it still is the best buy, especially if you want it for gaming as well. People aren't jumping on this because it's too damn expensive for the general public. The % of people that want BD is way too small, it's growing but not fast enough to impact sales numbers yet.

The digital switch might help. People may buy new HDTV's but about 10% - 30% are going to buy a BD player or even upgrade to HD cable. There are still people out there that have their HD sources hooked up with composite cables. Point is, not enough HD awareness to have any impact on PS3 sales.

BlackBurd

Original Gangstuh
cheapest bd i could find was 280 ps3 is 399.

its still the best according to benchmark tests though

Slasher

Suck It
I doubt a Killzone bundle will bring an increase in anything. People who would be interested in that game already have a PS3. No parent is going to see a commercial for a FPS and think "Thats the perfect bundle for my 11 year old.!!!!!"

Most of parenting in general has pretty much gone down the shittube lately. Parents don't care about mature games anymore lol

Joey

Isn't Sony losing money right now on every PS3 sold. I wouldn't expect more then a 50 dollar price reduction.

Yeah, and Sony as a company isn't doing so hot (as one would expect during a recession, from a company that makes luxury items).

twelve

I'm not dead
Isn't Sony losing money right now on every PS3 sold. I wouldn't expect more then a 50 dollar price reduction.

Microsoft only started turning a profit on 360 consoles last year. It's the norm for a console to be sold at a loss because the software is where they make the money.

Sony don't seem to realise that if they lowered the price so more people could buy the console they'd have more people buying the games that actually make them some money. Or maybe they do realise but they've fallen out with money or something.

Vee

In my opinion, for Sony to sell, they just need to make it a perfect round price, and have it one good bundle.

I think if Killzone 2 is advertised alot, then they do a 360 style advert with the "console costs

user friendly

They will definitely post a huge loss for the last quarter, no question. They took a huge risk with forcing Blu-ray on gamers but it definitely helped win the format war, which is probably more important to them than the Playstation brand.

In two years, they have already lost what they made in period of 8 :eek:

Abe Froeman

Gamer Dad
Enforcer Team
You could get 12 analysts together and have them each make an argument for a sequential month and one of them will look like a genius.

It's going to happen, only a matter of time.

Adiuvo

Apparently one analyst is saying April.

Analysts don't mean anything at all anymore. If they have had a string of correct predictions, then they're just lucky. Look at Michael Patcher. He was right for a long time, and now people generally say whatever he predicts, the opposite will come true.