• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Windows 7 Discussion [Screenshots Enclosed]

ChurchedAtheist

Your resident psycho hobo
If the final product of 7 is as good as the betas, then i will gladly use it. i expect it to get massively worse tho, adding needless crap overhead like they did to vista. earlier betas were faster than the final iirc. Im going to expect that it will be the wost os ever. a rollup of every bad thing ever said about ME or Vista. that way my hopes wont be smashed.

JaX3RiR

If the final product of 7 is as good as the betas, then i will gladly use it. i expect it to get massively worse tho, adding needless crap overhead like they did to vista. earlier betas were faster than the final iirc. Im going to expect that it will be the wost os ever. a rollup of every bad thing ever said about ME or Vista. that way my hopes wont be smashed.

I'm pretty sure Microsoft learned from their mistakes with Vista, and won't release this one too early to the grand public, so that most of the old applications will be compatible when it finally gets released.. I think that was the main failure with Vista.

Anyway, Vista's theme also sucked. I want my computer to have good performance, not look fancy. But that's just me.

ChurchedAtheist

has anyone tried the new beta ?
yeah. it was ok. only thing that bugged me was I couldn't find any signifigant customization options, like how you could change icon size, font size, border padding, window text color etc.

PSPHax0r9

Quality Haxing Since 1991
Windows 7 beta 1 is awesome... I can't quite put my finger on why I like it so much. Everything is faster right off the bat, but also everything just seems to be more accessible, easier to use, and is overall just a better experience than Vista. And I love the default desktop too :)

ChurchedAtheist

just a fyi: u can shrink the HUGE task bar by right clicking > properties > use small icons.

that was the only thing that really bugged me about 7(enough to be a deal breaker if there wasn't an option) it is a waste of my screen space for it to be that big.

Joey

I hope they copy Apple, so I can have the benefits of OSX, but actually be able to play games.

And that's my first question. If I play PC games, would installing The Windows 7 beta worth it? Am I going to have a problem with the preliminary 7 drivers, and vista drivers?

I only have about 30 GB's of HDD space left, so I'd rather just upgrade from Vista. I don't want to spend all my time backing up my shit on Vista, just to see I don't like 7, or that it's not really practical for a gamer yet.

Hellcat

Contributor
It's beta, the question if to use it "full time" forbids itself.
It's unfinished, so you WILL get problems.

Don't install it if you have to loose your all-day working install for it.

I'm not even testdriving it on my real comp, but only in a VM.

Joey

Yeah, that's a better way to put it, is it practical to use it as my everyday OS.

I'm only asking, because I want try Windows 7, but I'm too lazy, and devoid of time to make a partition, and install and all that crap.

Actually, if it wasn't good enough to use as an everyday OS, then I don't think I even want to try it, because what's the point really?

Greyone

Funny Little Green Ghouls
wow

it's way better than I ever expected

and runs the same if not better than XP, and on my POS computer. And yes I have reinstalled xp recently. Plus everthing worked right from the start, I didn't have to install drivers to get anything to work.

Specs:
Intel Pentium 4 2.93ghz
Intel GMA 900 IGP (up to 64mb)
512mb DDR RAM

I think that pretty much sums it up
------
@ Joey

I would say that this is totally usable for everyday use

-chw42-

Like a Boss
I'm going to be reformatting soon. I'll definitely going to give this a try.

Joey

I was gonna do it, until I saw that the only drivers known to work with Windows 7, 185.20, don't play nice with Fallout 3... Atleast not on my machine.

I'm gonna wait for the official release of both. I needs mah Fallout 3.

Greyone

Funny Little Green Ghouls
I was gonna do it, until I saw that the only drivers known to work with Windows 7, 185.20, don't play nice with Fallout 3... Atleast not on my machine.

I'm gonna wait for the official release of both. I needs mah Fallout 3.

don't all vista drivers work ? Or are you not running vista ?
----
after some poking around, previous drivers will work in windows 7. The 185.20 are beta drivers anyway

also people are getting mixed results in games with these 185.20, some people are claiming 3-5% more fps in fallout 3

AndyMosh

2 Cups Win, 1 Cup Lulz.
I'm going to wait for standard release, I have had bad experience with beta's lately, but it does sound very good, I am definitely going to upgrade when it's out.

Joey

don't all vista drivers work ? Or are you not running vista ?
----
after some poking around, previous drivers will work in windows 7. The 185.20 are beta drivers anyway

also people are getting mixed results in games with these 185.20, some people are claiming 3-5% more fps in fallout 3

I don't know, I read that the only Driver woking were those ones...

It might have been build 7000 specifically, I can't remember.

But yeah, I can definitely say that the 185.20 are a no go on Fallout 3 for me. I got a driver crash every time I opened Fallout 3. Worked great with Crysis though.

ChurchedAtheist

I'll give the official release a try if I can get it for free (my school offers free vista bisiness, as well as a bunch of other ms through the MSDN Academic Alliance Program)

BlackBurd

Original Gangstuh
Windows 7 qnybody try it yet.

I got to try windows 7 on my friends computer i think he pirated it but have anybody else tried it yet.

I want too but i dont have blank dvd's i only have externel hdd's and memory sicks usb thumb drives.

Moose

Meta Moose
Edit by EvilSeph:

Please try and limit the number of threads discussing the same topic. Your previous thread has been merged with this one.

Also, this thread has been moved to the re-named Windows Related forum.