• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Xbox 360 Network Adapter

andyauff

Hey guys. I'm hopefully getting a 360 Pro for my birthday, and I have a couple questions about using a network adapter. First, would a Linksys Wireless-G Network Adapter 2.4 GHz 802.11g work with the 360? I believe it's the same one as here: http://www-dk.linksys.com/servlet/S...577145&pagename=Linksys/Common/VisitorWrapper. That would be the most convenient option for me. If that wouldn't work, would it be worth it to dish out the extra $33 to get the Xbox 360 wireless network adapter (here: http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-360-Wire..._1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1228254312&sr=8-1)? Or would the $50 one made for the original Xbox be fine (here: http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-Wireless..._2?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1228254312&sr=8-2)? I read on Amazon that the $50 one works fine on the 360. Is that true? Or should I just not even bother and get the 360 one despite the price?

Thanks.

CASHMON3Y

Yes, the original one works. I cant vouch for the 360 one though.

andyauff

Okay, thanks. Do I need an original Xbox to set it up, or will it work just fine if I have only it and a 360 (and wifi of course)?

twelve

I'm not dead
realy this Linksys.com - Products/Wireless/Basic Networking/Adapters/Wireless-G (802.11g)/WUSB54G will work as a wifi adapter on the 360?? I have one of those in a box somewhere.. :D
No one said that. And no it wont.

The only USB adaptor that works is the Offical Xbox 360 one. The original Xbox adaptor is just a wireless bridge and any wireless bridge will work.

Edit: this is the cheapest one around:
Amazon.com: Linksys WGA11B Wireless-B Game Adapter: Video Games

andyauff

I think I'm gonna either get the official 360 one or the one twelve linked to in the post above. But in the meantime, I want to just use an ethernet cable. I have a wireless network in my house, but the router is a floor below where my 360 is and I only have the short cable that came with the 360. I was just wondering if it is possible to use an ethernet cable to hook the 360 up to a PC and get internet on the 360. The PC has internet access via a wireless network adapter. Basically instead of hooking up the 360 to a router, I would hook it up to a PC that can access the router. Maybe there's a software that would help, I dunno. I doubt it's possible, but I just thought I'd ask.

twelve

I'm not dead
I think I'm gonna either get the official 360 one or the one twelve linked to in the post above. But in the meantime, I want to just use an ethernet cable. I have a wireless network in my house, but the router is a floor below where my 360 is and I only have the short cable that came with the 360. I was just wondering if it is possible to use an ethernet cable to hook the 360 up to a PC and get internet on the 360. The PC has internet access via a wireless network adapter. Basically instead of hooking up the 360 to a router, I would hook it up to a PC that can access the router. Maybe there's a software that would help, I dunno. I doubt it's possible, but I just thought I'd ask.
It's very possible.

How to configure Internet Connection Sharing in Windows XP

Only the host part needs setting up, the client part should be picked up automatically by the 360.

You're supposed to need a crossover cable but I've heard of many cases where the one that comes with the 360 (which is just a straight through not a crossover) has worked.

andyauff

It's very possible.

How to configure Internet Connection Sharing in Windows XP

Only the host part needs setting up, the client part should be picked up automatically by the 360.

You're supposed to need a crossover cable but I've heard of many cases where the one that comes with the 360 (which is just a straight through not a crossover) has worked.

Wow, okay, awesome. The host computer, would that be the computer with the router or the computer I want to hook the 360 up to (the one with the network adapter)?

twelve

I'm not dead
Wow, okay, awesome. The host computer, would that be the computer with the router or the computer I want to hook the 360 up to (the one with the network adapter)?

The one you want to hook the 360 up to.

Sorry I couldn't find a more specific guide. There's at least one on instructables.com but it was really crap so I decided to go with the MS article.

andyauff

The one you want to hook the 360 up to.

Sorry I couldn't find a more specific guide. There's at least one on instructables.com but it was really crap so I decided to go with the MS article.

Okay, cool.

It's alright, thanks. I appreciate the help. I'll let you know if I have any more questions.

EDIT:

Okay, it says my network is already set up to be shared. What is that article supposed to do? I have wireless internet in my house between computers, I just want to be able to access it on the 360 by connecting the 360 to a computer. How could I do that with this? Sorry, I'm just a little confused.