• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Your online personality vs IRL personality.

BlackBurd

Original Gangstuh
im almost exactly the same online as i am offline.

theres just some words i dont use online like the N word and the C word

but other then that im pretty much the same.

Dan

Contributor
I don't speak as much when i'm online. I can't get drunk either. I don't say 'lol' in real life. other than that, i'm more or less the same.

I think that's probably because i don't know people on these forums too well. If i did, I'd blow your f**king minds.

RoBz

sucker
I'm pretty similar online around familiar communities parts as I am with my close friends IRL. Maybe less racist IRL of course. But if I were to join an unfamiliar IRC channel for example, I wouldn't act the same, I'd be more like talking to people I'm not very friendly with, maybe don't even know IRL.

Zx30

Beto
For the most part I'm still the same.For instance in IRL and the internet I always ask questions on things I don't know about..no matter how ridiculous they may sound to some..

For example a few days ago, Chat, Slasher, myself, and others were having a talk about alcohol on the IRC chat. I've never drank before so I was asking all these questions that seemed second nature to many people at my age. Like what it tastes like, what does it feel to be drunk, what is a shot, how much can you take at once, etc etc. Of course most of them couldn't believe I was asking these questions, but hey..it's the truth. I don't need to hide who I really am.

PS: Love that E-Thug picture. F'ing awesome!

Moose

Meta Moose
I'm pretty much exactly the same in real life as I am on the internet, although it depends where on the internet I am that determines my behaviour. I am very much at home here and act myself. :)

Serideth

Now a days I am exactly the same, which isn't always a good thing :p

Sometimes I wonder if I became my internet personality ahaha.

Craig Fairfax

illuminati Vereran
Now a days I am exactly the same, which isn't always a good thing :p

[HIGHLIGHT]Sometimes I wonder if I became my internet personality[/HIGHLIGHT] ahaha.

I think it's possible. I was very different from my online personality when I first started visiting forums.

BlackBurd

Original Gangstuh
IRL I don't use terms like "IRL."

me niether. i assumed from the context around it that it meant "In Real Life"

but im really starting to hate all of these new acronyms they piss me off.

Adiuvo

I'm a lot more patient online than off. If people ask me stupid questions offline I ignore them, and if they badger me I tell them to go away. Online, I'll put up with the most ridiculous questions without loosing my temper.

Andy

Champion of the Sun
I find all of your responses interesting. But I think there is a lot of denial in this thread. Oh I'm sure you all act exactly the same on the internet as you do in real life. My mistake, in fact seems EVERYONE does. :huh:

Excuse me mformature:
[qimg]http://www.deepjiveinterests.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/bullshit.jpg[/qimg]

I'm sorry, but was that really necessary? Considering you wanted this to be a 'smart' discussion, throwing sarcasm and stupid pictures at people doesn't really display this, does it? If anything it is a little insulting.

Anyway, offline I find myself to be much less eccentric, but this is probably due to the lack of anonymity. I suppose I could say that in real life I am more sensible and sensitive towards certain discussions/topics. I generally tell the truth a lot more online, whereas offline I would be the type of person who tells 'white lies', and I would rather choose to avoid confrontation when possible, but I guess that last point is true online mostly too.

madsoul

irl im quiet, not very out going, looner type at times. shy as hell. il rather sit and hear people discuss something then join in the conversation. if its not people im really close to.

so on here i might seem like i talk alot, but i promise you that if i meet any of you in real life i would shy away completely. sadly.