• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

YouTube got hacked, confirmed attacker, /b/ from 4chan

amrcidiot

MFM Survivor
As "terrible" as a situation this is, maybe it wasn't so bad.
This is a reminder that anyone can easily hack into a website if the security isn't great enough.
Honestly, there's probably not too many skilled hackers on /b/, so it stands to reason that something so immature was used in this exploit instead of possibly gaining mass histeria like they should have done.
In this age, people need to be careful what they do, because security, although strong, just isn't always strong enough for the number of people that visit every day.

In my opinion, this was a blessing in disguise for people to get their shit together and put some good protection, not only on their websites, but on their computers as well.

Hardrive

Contributor
As "terrible" as a situation this is, maybe it wasn't so bad.
This is a reminder that anyone can easily hack into a website if the security isn't great enough.
Honestly, there's probably not too many skilled hackers on /b/, so it stands to reason that something so immature was used in this exploit instead of possibly gaining mass histeria like they should have done.
In this age, people need to be careful what they do, because security, although strong, just isn't always strong enough for the number of people that visit every day.

In my opinion, this was a blessing in disguise for people to get their shit together and put some good protection, not only on their websites, but on their computers as well.

I run a firewall on my Comcast external connection. As long as you're smart about what you click, you shouldn't need a lot of protection on your computer. That said, very few people are smart about what they click.

LocutusEstBorg

You should be more specific.

run a firewall
is an uninformative, meaningless and moreover noobish thing to say, and makes one seem like a pretentious person who thinks they know about computers because he or she has scratched the surface by using some fancy looking software.

What does it do?
Does it inspect all HTTP requests and scan for XSS & XSRF?
Does it strictly validate the HTTP protocol traffic itself?
Does it scan for browser specific exploits in the HTTP responses?
Does it do URL based filtering?
Does it scan for viruses/malware within the HTTP protocol itself as the packets are routed so it never even reaches a client PC?
Does it do all the above for SSL connections? This is where most firewalls fail hard rendering them practically useless.

I got Forefront TMG running on a box to firewall my home network. Good learning experience. Very advanced software too. You can write your own plugins to implement custom protocol filtering and add more features and stuff.

About the YouTube hack. I can't believe the didn't sanitize the comments. That's got to be the biggest fuck up in Google history.

xploren

Contributor
About the YouTube hack. I can't believe the didn't sanitize the comments. That's got to be the biggest fuck up in Google history.

Bigger than their Street View vehicles collecting data from nearby wi-fi connections?

Anyway, while this certain attack is a bit distasteful, considering the amount of children and teens accessing YouTube, I found their recent prank on Justin Bieber to get him to go to North Korea humorous.

amrcidiot

MFM Survivor
Bigger than their Street View vehicles collecting data from nearby wi-fi connections?

Anyway, while this certain attack is a bit distasteful, considering the amount of children and teens accessing YouTube, I found their recent prank on Justin Bieber to get him to go to North Korea humorous.

Yeah, too bad he won't actually be going to North Korea.

very few people are smart about what they click.

That's my point, not everyone is smart enough to be careful 100% of the time.
I remember when I was a kid, and how I used to just click on everything, thank God there weren't as many safety concerns back then, but it still fucked up the family computer a bit.

Cryox

Bro.
So, today was the 12th of July. Anything happen?

I'm going to go ahead and say nothing happened as the day is just about over and I haven't seen any news of a website getting hacked.

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
The amount of sites that do not properly sanitize HTML input is staggering. XSS vulnerabilities are all over the place. Surprised Google got hit by one though, considering they are always so paranoid.

MenaceInc

Staff Member
So, today was the 12th of July. Anything happen?

I'm going to go ahead and say nothing happened as the day is just about over and I haven't seen any news of a website getting hacked.

Yeah, a few police officers got shot in Northern Ireland, one of which was a woman.
BBC News - Call for politicians to do more to tackle 12th violence

I don't think it was caused by /b/ though, more so just idiots. A regular occurrence it seems for the 15 years or so I've lived here.