• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

2012 - Doomsday

eldiablov

Contributor
I can't get behind this for 2 reasons

1) The odds, It's unlikely.
2) Why would it happen?

If a Geologist told me that some rocks looked like they might break away in about a couple of years and set off a volcano that will destroy the world, I'd be shitting it. But no, someone's saying "Something" will happen. Tell me what, Then I'll buy in to your paranoia.

2012 will accidentally the whole world.

Dan

Contributor
Willy, it's gonna happen because some people put it on a calender, that means it's true. oh noes.
*sarcasm

Like you said, anybody who believes this is utterly gullable. It's not as if we're God's (lul) test subject that he's just decided to blow us up after a long time. If somebody like a Geologist or an astronomer gave a decent statement with evidence showing that the world will end, then i would believe it, but still wouldn't be majorly bothered. Shit happens.

Bill

If someone like a geologist or astronomer told me the world was going to end, I'd call him/her a dumbshit. Now if the entire scientific community for that topic believed the same, it becomes something to think about.

Sorry, but ONE scientists discoveries are usually... wrong. Human Error is a terrible thing.

Bill

So five examples of times when one scientist was right. There happens to be ALOT more going on in the scientific community then 2 theories every year, FYI. And they get disproven by other scientists. Then we come up with new theories, and science evolves through trial and error. That's how it works. So if one geologist came up to me and said the world was going to end in a week based on some calculations he made about the orbit of the sun and the diameter of a cupcake, I would not believe him, because I could not do those measurements on my own to verify his facts. So I would wait for the larger scientific community to do it for me.

Unpublished work is unpublished for a reason.

iicii

ya know; personally i think its a bunch of bullshit. nothings going to happen. and if it does, it cannot be "mass extinction" sure something may happen. everyone knows the earth is something of a couple of billion years old. But think about it, its happened before, and the planet was fine. Something will happen and cause human extinction, but i just dont believe this is the time. im just hoping some lora croft shit will happen, and thats it. though, i do know one thing, if something does happpen that causes our "mass extincion" my family will be the last ones standing...:blushing:

-chw42-

Like a Boss
I've seen videos on this.

All bullshit.

First people think there's a Planet X and now the Mayan Calendar crap. All of it just seems completely out of whack and impossible. It wouldn't be one day where the world would totally get fucked over, it would be a sequence of a lot of events over a long period of time, not a couple of months and not a couple of years.

Geographical activity is usually very, very slow and nothing can possibly make it change rapidly in, say, a day, than some outside object colliding with the earth. Even if that happened, we'd be all screwed to begin with.

Plus, if you're talking about the aligning with the blackhole in the middle of the galaxy stuff. Not true.

This happened 3 million years ago and the cycle is every 30 million years. So we're actually not in line with the middle and won't be for another 27 million years.

Plus the whole pole switching thing is happening right now, but very slowly. As in a couple of degrees every 12 million years. We're not doing a complete 180.

And from the videos I've seen. All of these people are freaking crazy. They all have some sort of problem in their argument and it totally makes me not believe any of it, even some of the skeptics. Because there's nobody out there going at this kind of stuff with a rational unbiased way of thinking.

That said, I want to watch that new 2012 movie coming this winter.

eldiablov

Contributor
Yeah I saw a trailer. Looks like the typical dumb action films that entertain me. Special effects look amazing.

agentnnc

That Guy I Am
The movie looks good, the actual thing won't happen...first Y2K (people reffering to the bible and occasionally nostradamous), now December 12 2012. This is crap, I think the mayans just got bored from doing calendars a few thousand years ahead of themselves...

Well, there might be something interesting to watch on the news during december of 2012 (i remember all of the Y2K BS my local newschannel was broadcasting 9 years ago).

It's sad because my birthday is December 13th

explosions

The movie looks good, the actual thing won't happen...first Y2K (people reffering to the bible and occasionally nostradamous), now December 12 2012. This is crap, I think the mayans just got bored from doing calendars a few thousand years ahead of themselves...

Well, there might be something interesting to watch on the news during december of 2012 (i remember all of the Y2K BS my local newschannel was broadcasting 9 years ago).

Ironically my birthday is December 13th

It's the 21st.

FreePlay

This video sums up my opinion on whats really going to happen when 2012 comes.
YouTube - The 2012 Enigma by David Wilcock Pt. 01
:)
Holy fucking SHIT you're gullible.

This entire 2012 Doomsday thing comes from two sources:

1. A guy who says he was abducted by aliens who told him that sunspots would make the earth undergo a pole shift.
2. People who think the Mayans knew shit about shit.

I can't believe I haven't chimed in on this yet. So fucking priceless :)

Watch these and shut up about it.

YouTube - PennTeller Bullshit 2012 (1/3)
YouTube - Penn Teller: Bullshit - 2012 (2/3)
YouTube - Penn Teller: Bullshit - 2012 (3/3)