• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Best Freeware Apps for Windows

Seth

MD Party Room
Hey I thought it be a good idea to post some of my picks for the best windows apps. Now this isent going to be a super list... But I will take recommendations and will add some of the best apps.I also going be using fileforums for the majority of the links. If I dont proive a link dont be afraid to google it..

[FIELDSET="Audio"]Audio
Windows Essentials Codec Pack 1.0
Collection of the most essential Audio and Video Codecs that will enable you to play 99% of all movies and music files that you download off the net

Download

iTunes

Manage and play your music collection with drag-and-drop simplicity. Great Podcast manager and Ipod support.

Download

foobar2000

Very recommendable media player for the Windows platform
Download

Mp3tag - the universal Tag Editor

Multi-functional viewer and editor of mp3-tags

Download

*Other Recommended Ones
Winamp 5,Zune,MeidaMonkey,Songbird,Floola
[/FIELDSET]

[FIELDSET="Instant Messaging"]

Talk with your friends for free with this P2P technology

Download
mIRC
Chat, share, play or work with others on IRC networks around the world
Download
Miranda IM

Very light and powerful Im client.
Download

Digsby
Multiprotocol IM client, email notification tool, and social networking tool
Download

*Other Recommended Ones
Pidgin, aMSN,xchat,Xfire
[/FIELDSET]

[FIELDSET="CD and DVD Tools"]
DVD Shrink
Extremely fast DVD transcoding utility
Download

ImgBurn
Free utility to burn iso images with ease.

Download

BurnAware Free
Easily perform the most common disc burning tasks

Download

*Other Recommended Ones
CDBurnerXP Pro,IsoBuster,
[/FIELDSET]

[FIELDSET="Video"]
KMPlayer
Media player which can cover various types of container formats
Download
Media Player Classic
Media player similar to WMP 6.4 with support for more formats

Download
Miro
Watch Internet videos like you watch TV and mange your own videos as well
Download

SUPER
Simplified universal player, encoder and renderer
Download

Vlc
Multi-platform multimedia player that can read DVDs, VCDs, MPEG, and DivX files

Download

DVD Catalyst Free

DVD Catalyst Free is a 1-click desktop application for converting movies and tv episodes into a format that can be played on your portable video player device.

Download
*Other Recommended Ones
Xvid4PSP
[/FIELDSET]

[FIELDSET="Browsers"]
Browsers

Firefox
Security, speed and features that will change the way you use the Web
Download

Google Chrome

Browser that combines a minimal design with sophisticated technology
Download

Opera
Surf the Internet in a safer, faster, and easier way
Download

*Other Recommended Ones
Flock,Safari,K-Meleon
[/FIELDSET]

[FIELDSET="File Sharing"]
File Sharing

Cabos
File sharing program based on LimeWire / Acquisition

Download

uTorrent
Efficient and feature rich BitTorrent client
Download

*Other Recommended Ones
Vuze,BitComet,Ares,Deluge,frostwire
[/FIELDSET]

Others
Imaging
Paint.NET,Picasa,Gimp,Blender

Other Must have apps

Winrar,7zip,Notepad++,FoxIt Reader,Abi Word, SpywareBlaster,Glary Utilities,CCleaner,Recuva,Floola....

Still working on adding a little info on each apps...

I wont be doing a antivirus/spyware list...

Seth

MD Party Room
Winamp and floola are on there...

I add xchat and frostwire.

Pokemanz master

Lowering your IQ
an fun app would be winflip
Edit- msn plus, rocketdock which put the mac thing on.

Adiuvo

Xfire is good too. Also Xvid4PSP as an alternative to Super.

Moose

Meta Moose
Yeah, it's really useful. I always like to have the windows I am accessing most nearer the Start button.

Seth

MD Party Room
Adiuvo said:
Xfire is good too. Also Xvid4PSP as an alternative to Super.

Added

EvilSeph

Administrator
Moose said:
Utilities:

Clipdiary
Taskbar Shuffler
Pitaschio

Thanks Evilseph. =D

No problem, except it is EvilSeph* ;)

I'll be adding new material onto my blog so keep your eye on it if you're like me and like finding the best of the best software (I tend to lean towards free/open source but not always).

Check out my blog if you want to find other cool findings I've posted already.

Whoops..doing too much I pressed edit instead of quote. :D

Moose

Meta Moose
EvilSeph said:
No problem, except it is EvilSeph* ;)

I'll be adding new material onto my blog so keep your eye on it if you're like me and like finding the best of the best software (I tend to lean towards free/open source but not always).

Check out my blog if you want to find other cool findings I've posted already.

Whoops..doing too much I pressed edit instead of quote. :D

Ah, sorry, I meant to put that capital in there. Pesky things always escape me!

That's good news, I was disappointed to find out that you'd stopped updating it. The apps I got out of it already are great.

Thanks again. :)

EDIT: Must not forget Unlocker!

Seth

MD Party Room
Both are ok...

But Unlocker doesnt have 64 bit support...and MoveOnBoot has tons of disadvantage
Btw if you mods feel like editing my post and adding to the list go right ahead..

Moose

Meta Moose
twelve said:
It is compulsory that you wait until the next time you start up your PC to fix the 'problem'? If so, I'd prefer to use Unlocker just because it works there and then most of the time.

twelve

I'm not dead
Moose said:
It is compulsory that you wait until the next time you start up your PC to fix the 'problem'? If so, I'd prefer to use Unlocker just because it works there and then most of the time.
Yeah that's true. I dont come across many files I can't delete so I've just got used to using MoveOnBoot for the rare occasion I come across one.

EvilSeph

Administrator
twelve said:

Unlocker allows you to do that and more ;)

On a side note, does anyone use Pitaschio? Just curious. It shoots my productivity through the roof. I can get so much more done because of the amount of control it gives me over Windows.

Moose

Meta Moose
EvilSeph said:
Unlocker allows you to do that and more ;)

On a side note, does anyone use Pitaschio? Just curious. It shoots my productivity through the roof. I can get so much more done because of the amount of control it gives me over Windows.
I use it. I love being able to rearrange my windows neatly while they're not maximized. I also like the fact that you can assign shortcuts with the mouse, rather than the keyboard, which is what an application usually allows you to do.

EDIT: I also like the transparency feature, so if a window is maximized... I just put the transparency up with the scroll button and I can see what is happening with, for example, my downloads or IM windows. :)

Seth

MD Party Room
transparency apps are nice but really useless if you dont get into the habit of useing them

EvilSeph

Administrator
I use the transparency feature all the time. Especially when writing posts, articles etc. I place the resources I need in the back and the writing window in the front which I make transparent.

Another feature I've grown accustomed to is double clicking to get to the parent folder...I have not installed Pitaschio yet so I am really missing it :p

Heck, I miss everything Pitaschio lets me do. Certain mouse clicks to make a window always be on top, roll up a window so that only the title bar is showing, right click on the title bar to close a window...it really is an amazingly useful program.