• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

BlackBerry an overrated scam?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Josey Wales

Evil Poptart
@Josey
If you got the phone from a company then theres nothing to crib about. But if you bought it yourself then know that you paid thrice as much as a phone with the same features costs.

Why would you buy a phone without a provider unless you were just selling them. And if thats the case you arent buying them wholesale like an actually company. In which case.... ur doin it rong

Robby

Los Doyers!
The Blackberry is not a scam.
Everything has already been said in this thread.

If you don't want a Blackberry, then simply don't get one.

Josey Wales

Evil Poptart
its like buying a BMW for 60 grand and then complaining that its not powerful enough to drag race and say that the price is too high

LocutusEstBorg

This post has just confirmed something I had been wondering.

You have no idea what a scam is, and neither do these friends/colleagues/acquaintances of yours.

Blackberry does not claim to be the only phone supporting Push email. It does everything that it is advertised to do. Where's the scam?

Artificially overpricing something in retail is tantamount to scamming IMO.

LocutusEstBorg

THe why aren't we attacking Apple?

Because people who buy their products don't go "OMG I paid 34k (over here) for this??", unlike what happened to the two people I mentioned after seeing an equivalent product. Majority of them don't buy iPhones for functionality.

eighty4

I'm pretty sure there are people out there who have said - especially over 2 like you're basing this off of. People who buy BBs want them because others have them and they think it's cool, same EXACT thing with the iPhone.

Robby

Los Doyers!
If you buy a BB and feel like you were scammed, then that is your fault.
You should have done some research on the phone before spending big money on it.

LocutusEstBorg

If you buy a BB and feel like you were scammed, then that is your fault.
You should have done some research on the phone before spending big money on it.

The point of this is enlightenment so people know exactly what they are paying for. Most people are under the illusion that BBs magic dust makes everything work. They should be aware that there are better alternatives when making a purchase, at least as an individual.

Josey Wales

Evil Poptart
Really the complaint here is that people overpaid for something they didnt research well enough first and thats not the company's fault, its the consumer.

In no way, shape or form is the BB a scam. Never is it advertised to do more than it can do. In fact, no phone can be a scam since virtually all phone products are always advertised by its features. If you expected a certain feature and are pissed because you paid X amount for the product and didnt get what you EXPECTED then its your failure to ensure the product had it.

Sorry but I didnt buy my TV expecting it to have cable, and then bitch that I need to contact my Cable company in order for my TV to work 100% to its potential. I also dont buy clothes and then bitch about how they dont stay clean when I walk in rainy mud. And to hit the nail on the head, I dont buy a a prebuilt computer (if I did) and then complain that the graphics card is only an Intel Integrated cause its not the manufacturers fault you are upset about it... its yours for buying it as is.

Like I said earlier Torch, it sounds more like a fuck up on yours or your friends part who bought a phone without researching its potential first - or at least contacting the company about its specific features.

Now, if you want to talk about pricing. Look at phones today. A phone that costs under 100 USD make calls, text, and have snake. Now, if you really wanted to prove your point, which I understand, the smart thing to do would be to compare OTHER phones features along with the price to the side of the Blackberry with its features and its price. You know, the way phone companies usually do to inform you on the best phone to buy for you?

Instead of making your point clear, all you really did was bash the BB based on what it didnt have and what other phones did which in turn fucked up the entire experiment because you didnt add all the variables. Any scientist of any caliber will tell you in order to completely compare or have a true or factual results all factors must be equated and variables evenly distributed. In actually this thread is a bitch fest about the BB.

EDIT for new post

People DO need to be acknowledged by what they are buying. Its called INDIVIDUAL RESEARCH. Its called common sense. Its up to the consumer to KNOW what they are buying by actually learning what they are buying. You dont buy groceries with a blind fold on do you?

Robby

Los Doyers!
The point of this is enlightenment so people know exactly what they are paying for. Most people are under the illusion that BBs magic dust makes everything work. They should be aware that there are better alternatives when making a purchase, at least as an individual.
They would know exactly what they are paying for if they research.
They can get technical specs, and even user reviews of the product.

Seems to me like either you had a bad experience with them, or you just have to out for blackberry since you can't afford one.

twelve

I'm not dead
Artificially overpricing something in retail is tantamount to scamming IMO.
The handsets are no more expensive than similar smart phones. If you bought one without a call plan then they're overpriced but you'd have to be retarded to buy one without a call plan.

A business install including BES will be priced on a case by case basis.

Really anyone sensible and with enough money to buy a blackberry should do some research before buying one.

It doesn't really matter what I or anyone else say though, you're convinced that it's a scam even though absolutely no one agrees you.

Bottom line is the poll results. There is no scam.

End user stupidity != scam.

agentnnc

That Guy I Am
I don't think it's a scam, I just think there are better deals out there. I'd rather pay 200$ and sign a 3 year 30$/month contract then sign a 3 year contract and get a blackberry for whatever they go for.

I'd rather pay a lot more for something that suits my needs then buy something that only does half the job. I never liked the BB keyboards and I could never get the hang of them. Some people are better off with them so more power to 'em.

LocutusEstBorg

The handsets are no more expensive than similar smart phones. If you bought one without a call plan then they're overpriced but you'd have to be retarded to buy one without a call plan.

I don't think it's a scam, I just think there are better deals out there. I'd rather pay 200$ and sign a 3 year 30$/month contract then sign a 3 year contract and get a blackberry for whatever they go for.

I've never seen any one of these deals. Blackberry launched in India boasting contract free phones. One of the only phones that sells with a contract is the iPhone, and its ridiculously priced at Rs.30000+ for the various models and for a LOCKED phone.

Phone and connection are always two separate things here. And when they DO sell something with a contract, the carriers sell them at the cost of the contract free device (see iPhone here)!!

The BlackBerry 8900 is 22,500 bucks! The Storm 9500 is 26,000!!!
You can get a SE G700 for 10,600, an E63 for 10,300 and a G900 for a little more. This certainly isn't "no more expensive than similar phones". These prices are nothing short of legalized robbery. On top of that you have the BB data plans.

El Diablo

ITT: Someone bought one Blackberry and didn't like it so they get butt hurt and take out their rage claiming the company is a scam?

Did I get it all down correctly?

MenaceInc

Staff Member
ITT: Someone bought one Blackberry and didn't like it so they get butt hurt and take out their rage claiming the company is a scam?

Did I get it all down correctly?

Yep, as shown in the rest of the posts not done by Torch.

I think this threads served it's purpose, Torch has had his rant.
Can we get some closure here?

Josey Wales

Evil Poptart
Also, to add to the fact that Torch is clueless. You dont need BES to have email on your phone. I have a basic internet plan and can have an unlimited amounts of PERSONAL emails linked to my phone.

twelve

I'm not dead
Also, to add to the fact that Torch is clueless. You dont need BES to have email on your phone. I have a basic internet plan and can have an unlimited amounts of PERSONAL emails linked to my phone.
Exactly, you only need a BES server to get push email from Microsoft Exchange servers.

Perhaps they should rename Blackberry Enterprise Service to Business Exclusive Service so it's easier to grasp.

LocutusEstBorg

Exactly, you only need a BES server to get push email from Microsoft Exchange servers.

Perhaps they should rename Blackberry Enterprise Service to Business Exclusive Service so it's easier to grasp.

That's exactly what I said. Read again. I said its required to get push mail from a server with the BES extension, which is Exchange and whatever other server with the extension.

Fake 15 minute push works with BIS for other mail servers.

---------- Post added at 12:56 AM EST ---------- Previous post was at 12:52 AM EST ----------

I think you've misunderstood slightly. By BES I meant a BES capable data plan. Vodafone provides a bastardized BB data plan that is incapable of connecting to BES (server). They call this just a BIS plan. To connect to exchange you have to pay MORE for a BES capable plan.

twelve

I'm not dead
I think you've misunderstood slightly. By BES I meant a BES capable data plan. Vodafone provides a bastardized BB data plan that is incapable of connecting to BES (server). They call this just a BIS plan. To connect to exchange you have to pay MORE for a BES capable plan.
It appears that you have no clue about how BES works.

The server is installed and the Blackberry device just needs a Data connection (GPRS, 3G, Edge, wifi, whatever) to be able to connect to that server. There is no requirement for a BES capable plan, you can connect to a BES and receive Push Exchange email on Pay as you Go, it will just cost a fortune.

I think you're just making things up now to try and justify this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.