• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

BlackBerry an overrated scam?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LocutusEstBorg

It appears that you have no clue about how BES works.

The server is installed and the Blackberry device just needs a Data connection (GPRS, 3G, Edge, wifi, whatever) to be able to connect to that server. There is no requirement for a BES capable plan, you can connect to a BES and receive Push Exchange email on Pay as you Go, it will just cost a fortune.

I think you're just making things up now to try and justify this thread.

Nooooo! This is exactly how it SHOULD be. If this was the case I wouldn't have created this thread.

Vodafone DOES NOT let your BB apps connect unless you take their BIS plan. They do not let you receive mail from BES unless you pay more for a plan that allows BES. With a generic data plan only 3rd party apps like Java apps will have internet access. The BB native apps DO NOT connect. Even the BB browser doesn't work with generic plans, you have to use Opera mini or something.

They do similar bullcrap to their generic plans. Ordinary pay as you go GPRS only allows HTTP since it uses a proxy server in the connection settings. Your mail clients will not be able to connect on their non HTTP ports. Thankfully Opera mini works since it transfers its data through HTTP.

If you want a direct connection (gateway) you have to pay even more every month on top of the pay as you go rates. Only then can you setup mail clients on your phone. I know this for a fact as I've had these plans. It's no surprise they block connections to BB network from generic gateway.

Which is why I call it a scam. These requirements are completely artificial. Everything is just a standard server accepting standard TCP connections!

twelve

I'm not dead
You're wrong.

I've been a Sys Admin for the past 4 years. We've had a BES ever since I started this job and everytime we get a new Blackberry (either a brand new one or an upgrade) all we have to do is configure the server with the Blackberry's PIN and configure the Blackberry to point to the server.

This is all covered under one Business contract with Vodafone. I have personally removed the Vodafone SIM card supplied under contract from my work Blackberry and placed in my dad's personal Vodafone SIM card (which certainly does not have any BES plan associated with it). Push exchange email continues to work regardless of the SIM card and price plan associated with it.

LocutusEstBorg

You're wrong.

I've been a Sys Admin for the past 4 years. We've had a BES ever since I started this job and everytime we get a new Blackberry (either a brand new one or an upgrade) all we have to do is configure the server with the Blackberry's PIN and configure the Blackberry to point to the server.

This is all covered under one Business contract with Vodafone. I have personally removed the Vodafone SIM card supplied under contract from my work Blackberry and placed in my dad's personal Vodafone SIM card (which certainly does not have any BES plan associated with it). Push exchange email continues to work regardless of the SIM card and price plan associated with it.

That's a shocking revelation. Vodafone's firewall must have been Broken and allowed the connection through.

Google "Blackberry generic plan" to see what you can do with a generic plan on a BB. A BB plan is a requirement, if it worked with plain GPRS then someone fucked up to your good luck.

Its not surprising seeing that there are so many loopholes to get free internet on many of the carriers. Stupid things like changing the proxy address from their free portal to their one of their internet
proxy addresses which actually work. Seriously go to google india and search gprs hack.

twelve

I'm not dead
That's a shocking revelation. Vodafone's firewall must have been Broken and allowed the connection through.
BES is installed on our own IBM server, behind our own HP firewall. Vodafone just happens to be the network we use. Blackberry's work on Orange too.

Like I said much earlier on, Business contracts are tailor made, there is no generic involved.

Status
Not open for further replies.