• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Donating your body to Medicine/Science when you die?

Serideth

I was reading the what happens when you die thread and saw this:

i would love to donate my body for science or whatever when i die. since i dont see any use for it in a grave etc. i would be glad to save others lives if i would suddenly die.

I have to say I agree, I'm amazed at the amount of people who bother getting donor cards or anything similar. What are your views? Do you think it's wrong to donate ones body to science or medical reasons? Do you plan on doing it yourself?

Discuss.

Slasher

Suck It
Well I've thought about this in the past, and it really does seem like a good idea to do. I mean, what's wrong with helping out other people in need? ... I remember when my grandpa died several years back, he donated his eyes because they were just about the only part of his body that were still healthy and in good shape heh.

The only problem I have with it is just what exactly happens after death. Nobody knows, so there's no definitive answer to this. I don't want to donate my organs & eyes and whatnot only to find out after death they're still somehow necessary. I have the same thoughts as far as cremation goes. Like what if I get cremated but the fire just ends up burning away my soul and my entity... That's my only problem with the whole ordeal

Adiuvo

Donating certain parts of you body doesn't really have any negatives as for as I'm concerned. Things like your liver, heart, etc., and valuable and really have the chance to save someone's life. You have no use for them once you're dead, and they don't alter your after-death appearance any way, so why keep them?

twelve

I'm not dead
Just don't donate your hands.

mgs4e32006520smalllc4.jpg

Seriously though, I don't have a donor card because the thought of planning for my death bothers me. I think it's a great idea and I hope that one day I grow a pair and sign up for a donor card.

I doubt my organs will be any use to anyone if I carry on smoking the way I do thought but I like to think my liver and kidneys are in good shape.

madsoul

The only problem I have with it is just what exactly happens after death. Nobody knows, so there's no definitive answer to this. I don't want to donate my organs & eyes and whatnot only to find out after death they're still somehow necessary. I have the same thoughts as far as cremation goes. Like what if I get cremated but the fire just ends up burning away my soul and my entity... That's my only problem with the whole ordeal

and there would be any diference rottening in your grave...? what if you get burned alive or die in another horrible accident. you believe that your soul wouldnt survive that or what?

Slasher

Suck It
That is the dumbest thing I've ever read.

Do you know what happens after you die? No?
Don't be a fucking know-it-all prick. Mind explaining your own view instead of mocking mine?

and there would be any diference rottening in your grave...? what if you get burned alive or die in another horrible accident. you believe that your soul wouldnt survive that or what?
That's another thing I've considered. I don't know how to explain it, that's just the way I feel. I'm sure you've heard of stories about headless ghosts and the like, so there might be some sort of underlying connection explaining people who die in accidents and have certain 'features' missing or injured. I don't know what happens after life so it's impossible for me to know

Whisper

Logic :(
I have no plans on donating my body to science. A few days ago my class was given two human brains to touch and mess around with. (To get an understanding of what the brain looks like.)

I have no interest of my brain sitting in a class room rotting while kids poke it...

Slasher

Suck It
I have no plans on donating my body to science. A few days ago my class was given two human brains to touch and mess around with. (To get an understanding of what the brain looks like.)

I have no interest of my brain sitting in a class room rotting while kids poke it...

Wow seriously? That's pretty fucked. I've heard of toying with pig brains and the like, even in some serious cases, cat anatomy. But I've never heard of actual human brains being used. That must've been uncomfortable

Joey

Do you know what happens after you die? No?
Don't be a fucking know-it-all prick. Mind explaining your own view instead of mocking mine?

You're dead who give a shit what happens you your rotting corpse when you're gone? Hell, even if you're going to drag some bullshit about after-life into this, have you ever heard a single one that includes your physical body?

If you don't donate your body, you're a selfish prick, plain and simple. Denying living people the chance to continue living because you don't know if you'll need your body when you're dead (for what, I have no clue), then you're just and asshole.

They can do what ever they want to with my body when I die, I don't care... You know why? I'll be dead, I can't care.

---------- Post added at 08:45 AM EST ---------- Previous post was at 08:44 AM EST ----------

lol...

what kinda school do you go to..? :scared: kinda unethical practice...

Unethical? Are the people still alive? That would be fucked up.

i look at it like this. Either
A) i rot in a grave and my organs go to shit and does noone any good
or
B) I could donate them and have them help someone and do good to those that are still alive.
On the note of needing your body in the afterlife i firmly believe you dont need it. Im a christian so yeah i believe in heaven and hell (probably isnt smart bringin in religion, but oh well lol) and in saying such if you did do something good with your body then that can only help you doing good with something you dont need anymore doesnt have any negative conatations in my book. anyway thats my 2cents

madsoul

I will not. If I'm dying why the fuck would i care if somebody else is.

not when your dying, but when your already dead.

this is almost the same stupid argument as so many people has against improving the environment here on earth.

"i dont give a shit what happens after im dead. il pollute and use as much electricity as i want. i dont care for future generations, i only care about myself"

selfish pricks...

Craig Fairfax

illuminati Vereran
not when your dying, but when your already dead.

this is almost the same stupid argument as so many people has against improving the environment here on earth.

"i dont give a shit what happens after im dead. il pollute and use as much electricity as i want. i dont care for future generations, i only care about myself"

selfish pricks...
I wasn't even serious, in fact It was bait to see which tree hugger would call me out first.

As far as donating my organs directly to someone that need it I'm cool with that. But donating to science, if that means having some guy play with my corpse then no. I want whatever still works to go to a person in need rather then to research, not that there is anything worth researching on me anyway.

The environment thing is a whole other issue. but I will say I'm not going to be rocking a fucking prius.

Bran

Yell
I want to keep my skeleton, other than that science can have everything else.

It's my dream to scare my great grandkids LONG after I'm dead by being hung in a closet.

Zx30

Beto

That's actually the exact thing I thought of when I thought about choosing to be a donor or not.
Yeah it sounds fucking crazy but no one knows what happens after death. To humans, we SEE the corpse do nothing...but do we really know what's actually happening?

Joey

That's actually the exact thing I thought of when I thought about choosing to be a donor or not.
Yeah it sounds fucking crazy but no one knows what happens after death. To humans, we SEE the corpse do nothing...but do we really know what's actually happening?
What, do you think you take your liver with you to heaven or something?

This is such a stupid argument. Even if you're going to argue that there's an afterlife, what the hell does that have to do with your physical body?