• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Donating your body to Medicine/Science when you die?

eldiablov

Contributor
I dont see the fun in attacking beliefs with no constructive criticism. It's not like any of you actually know what happens when you die so try to stay on topic please.

I slightly agree with Slasher here. Obviously my views may change as I learn new things and experience the world more but for now i'd rather keep my organs.

Slasher

Suck It
You're dead who give a shit what happens you your rotting corpse when you're gone? Hell, even if you're going to drag some bullshit about after-life into this, have you ever heard a single one that includes your physical body?

If you don't donate your body, you're a selfish prick, plain and simple. Denying living people the chance to continue living because you don't know if you'll need your body when you're dead (for what, I have no clue), then you're just and asshole.

They can do what ever they want to with my body when I die, I don't care... You know why? I'll be dead, I can't care.
I can already tell you're unwilling to even consider anything other than your own beliefs. "even if you're going to drag some bullshit about after-life into this". Now Joey, what makes beliefs about the afterlife be considered "bullshit", other than your own prejudicial views? Try to consider other peoples beliefs and views before calling them out as "dumb"

If you don't donate your body, you're a selfish prick, plain and simple.
You're one of those people that like things either black or white. This or that. Here or there. You don't consider any sort of intermediary explanations, because then things aren't clear cut to you. What gives reason to call somebody a selfish prick if they believe that by giving away their organs it may cause consequences for them in what they think comes after life? Just because you lack faith doesn't mean everybody else does. Being aware of other peoples faiths & perspectives of things may obviously lighten up some other explanations for their actions, instead of them just being considered "pricks" & "assholes" to you.

While I stand by my own views, I'm still a little bit on the fence. I don't know what happens after death, and neither do you. Ultimately if I were to donate my organs, then I would want it to go directly to somebody rather than to be tested on

What, do you think you take your liver with you to heaven or something?

This is such a stupid argument. Even if you're going to argue that there's an afterlife, what the hell does that have to do with your physical body?
Once again, how could you know? Maybe there's a connection btwn your physical entity and your afterlife energy? It might sound ridiculous to some, but when it comes to the unknown nobody really knows for sure

and thats not a figment of peoples imagination...?

Depends on what you choose to believe

Kyle0wnsyou

Lavate las manooos!!
With advanced stem cell technology we could grow organs for those in need, and eliminate the need for USED organs from humans that couldn't even stay alive.

However, if some med student wants a cadaver to poke with some scalpels, then by all means, go at it.

---------- Post added at 11:55 AM EST ---------- Previous post was at 11:51 AM EST ----------

Also Monty Python's Universe song is completely relevant here.

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWVshkVF0SY[/YT]

Serideth

For the record I have already handed out thread bans.

I see no reason why I should have to moderate comments in the smart talk section so I'm simply going to remove those who do not wish to participate properly.

Thanks to all of you who have stayed on topic, I have found some of the replys quite fascinating, especially yours Slasher.

Freshmilk

is Over 9000
That's actually the exact thing I thought of when I thought about choosing to be a donor or not.
Yeah it sounds fucking crazy but no one knows what happens after death. To humans, we SEE the corpse do nothing...but do we really know what's actually happening?

I used to think this. My main concern is if you can still feel things when you're dead and buried. Still, I'd rather be cut up than eaten by worms, period. Don't really know about cermation. Merry Christmas to a defective heart paitient! :p

mohaas05

I used to think this. My main concern is if you can still feel things when you're dead and buried. Still, I'd rather be cut up than eaten by worms, period. Don't really know about cermation. Merry Christmas to a defective heart paitient! :p

From a scientific view, your brain is no longer receiving nerve signals after death, therefore, feeling pain would be impossible.

From a religious point, unless you worship Anubis or something, your physical body isn't required after death.

Joey

I can already tell you're unwilling to even consider anything other than your own beliefs. "even if you're going to drag some bullshit about after-life into this". Now Joey, what makes beliefs about the afterlife be considered "bullshit", other than your own prejudicial views? Try to consider other peoples beliefs and views before calling them out as "dumb"
How's about I don't? Start producing some facts, and when that happens, I'll be happy to include your beliefs in the discussion.

You're one of those people that like things either black or white. This or that. Here or there. You don't consider any sort of intermediary explanations, because then things aren't clear cut to you. What gives reason to call somebody a selfish prick if they believe that by giving away their organs it may cause consequences for them in what they think comes after life? Just because you lack faith doesn't mean everybody else does. Being aware of other peoples faiths & perspectives of things may obviously lighten up some other explanations for their actions, instead of them just being considered "pricks" & "assholes" to you.
Have you ever thought off acting in a way that might not necessarily benefit just your self? That's what makes it selfish. "I know this guy needs a liver, but I might also because, I don't know, I just have this feeling. So, I think I'll keep it". That's the height of selfish behavior.

While I stand by my own views, I'm still a little bit on the fence. I don't know what happens after death, and neither do you. Ultimately if I were to donate my organs, then I would want it to go directly to somebody rather than to be tested on
Fine, I can respect that. My argument is that you should donate it somewhere, not necessarily to science. Hell, donate it to a group necrophiliac if you want, just put some fucking use to it. We need to stop with this rediculous idea of preserving the dead. We're both wasting perfectly useful bodies, and losing miles of valuable land to cemeteries. Why do we have space reserved for dead bodies, while at the same time, a kid will go homeless and starving to night? It's superstitious non-sense.

Once again, how could you know? Maybe there's a connection btwn your physical entity and your afterlife energy? It might sound ridiculous to some, but when it comes to the unknown nobody really knows for sure
So, what, are Shark attack victims who lose an arm just shit out of luck in the afterlife? Is that even heaven?

Depends on what you choose to believe
I only believe what can be proven to me.

Slasher

Suck It
How's about I don't? Start producing some facts, and when that happens, I'll be happy to include your beliefs in the discussion.
You totally missed the point. I won't bother emphasizing it further.

Anyways, tou-fucking-ch

Slasher

Suck It
As an example let's just say a very close family member of yours or mine ends up, god forbid, dying. Would you seriously advocate doing something other than burying it or cremating it? You want to save land by treating the bodies like garbage?
Would you care if somebody was given the corpse and he wanted to piss all over it, or take a dump on its lifeless chest? This is a close family member that I'm talking about here.

As it stands right now, you're all for that sort of treatment. I find that completely inhumane and disrespectful.

I figured it was human nature that we as an advanced civilization respected the dead regardless of if you thought the body was useless or if you thought it was still a part of that person. It's been found that even early on in our species, civilizations buried the dead out of respect for that person... they didn't selflessly hand it over to some necrophiliac. Take Egyptian mummies as an example, I mean, even chimpanzees and elephants are known to throw leaves and branches over fallen members of their family groups. It's symbolic, if not at least a representation of that particular person.

Vee

Allow me to interrupt this arguement by saying; neither of you lot can win it.

In my opinion, if you want to keep your organs just because their yours, then your stupid. If you want to keep them because the religion you follow says certain things about donations, then fair enough.

Personally, i had never thought about organ donation before i saw Seven Pounds. Now i'm going to have my organs donated to someone in need, when i die.

I do find it quite odd though, that any religion believes that not having an organ, means you cant go to heaven. Thats just silly, surely donating your organs is a good thing, that deserves the reward of Paradise?

Just my two euros.

banneduser9

To hell with donating my body to any-damn-body.
The military got enough info on my body through numerous "voluntary" vaccine programs as well as the effects of large explosions near the human body.
My body is going to be cremated and the ashes smuggled into the White House and spread all over the place.

ChurchedAtheist

Your resident psycho hobo
I plan to. i'll donate my organs, and the leftovers can be cremated(unless a burial is somehow cheeper)