• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Doom for the PSP

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
Okay, I done figgered out the stupid networking. :biggrin:

Here's a beta for v1.3. The only difference between this and v1.2 is the fix for networking. The funny thing is the networking was fine. Doom busy loops, and since the PSP uses cooperative task switching, the thread the PSP network libs use for address resolution were not getting to run. I stuck a reschedule before the packet commands and TADA! Networking works for me.

So give this a try and see how it works for you. However, now that I've got networking working and had a chance to see how the program responds to changes in the network settings, I realize I need to alter the network config. So this is a beta to get you networking while I revamp the gui a bit for an official v1.3 release.

Cool :) Well I was getting a 80110601 error on both v1.2 and this beta release in regards to network settings. However, I just tried restoring default settings and re-entered in my network config and it's all working fine again. Not sure why that happened, guess my settings became corrupted somehow.

XsavioR: yeah we should play sometime.

Chilly Willy

Contributor
Cool :) Well I was getting a 80110601 error on both v1.2 and this beta release in regards to network settings. However, I just tried restoring default settings and re-entered in my network config and it's all working fine again. Not sure why that happened, guess my settings became corrupted somehow.

XsavioR: yeah we should play sometime.

I got that myself once. It seems the connection editing can sometimes leave the net config trashed. You don't have to reset to default (I didn't at least), just delete the old config and re-enter it. That worked for me.

Kwipper

After you get the network thing worked out, why not add some way to configure your own controls settings

Chilly Willy

Contributor
Okay, v1.3 is up. This marks the official debut of networking. It now even works against compatible versions of PC/Mac/Amiga/etc DOOM. I could play against another PSP and my linux box running SDL_DOOM v1.10. The GUI has been substantially altered to make it possible to set up a network game properly.

cupraR

It works sweet for me.

However how do I save game on this. I heard you need to make a SAVE folder in /PSP/DOOM/

Is that correct and then when and how do i save game

Thanks for this

Chilly Willy

Contributor
It works sweet for me.

However how do I save game on this. I heard you need to make a SAVE folder in /PSP/DOOM/

Is that correct and then when and how do i save game

Thanks for this

Nothing special needed. Just pause (don't really NEED to pause, but it's highly recommended :wink: ), press TRI+SELECT for the menu, select SAVE GAME, use the d-pad to navigate the save slots, press X to select a slot, press TRI+START to get the OSK, enter the save description and press START (descr should now be in the selected slot), and finally press X to save. It's all EXACTLY like when playing the real DOOM except for pulling up the OSK. Note that you can use TRI by itself as backspace when editing the save slot description text.

Squeaky369

Awesome work dude; just awesome. Quick question though; I've got full versions of all the dooms (1,2, TNT, Plutonia) How come on the 2, TNT, and Plutonia when your selecting weapons it skips the single shotgun and goes right to the double? (And Yes; I have it).

Chilly Willy

Contributor
Awesome work dude; just awesome. Quick question though; I've got full versions of all the dooms (1,2, TNT, Plutonia) How come on the 2, TNT, and Plutonia when your selecting weapons it skips the single shotgun and goes right to the double? (And Yes; I have it).

You have to press the same number key multiple times in a row to toggle between the two shotguns. You cannot do that using the next/previous weapon buttons. You have to use the OSK input to do that. The OSK is TRI+START.

XsavioR

Nice work , Im going to try to get my stuff setup over here tomorrow. i dont work till late and dont think i have any thing going on early on.

Squeaky369

Okay; I get how that works; because I can enter in the old fashion cheat codes and they work. But when I type in "3" it doesn't change weapons. I've tried multiple 3's and nothing; and I've tried other weapons and nothing.

Squeaky369

Well; after messing with that for a few minutes trying different ways; it won't even let me change weapons anymore using the TRI+L or TRI+R. I guess I must be doing something wrong.

XsavioR

Hey Chilly, can u post a link to the original pc end files. id like to install it on my pc . (havent put in the 3rd and 4th gig of memory, or video card in on my pc so this is perfect)

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor

Chilly Willy

Contributor
Hey Chilly, can u post a link to the original pc end files. id like to install it on my pc . (havent put in the 3rd and 4th gig of memory, or video card in on my pc so this is perfect)

If you're trying to play networked with the PSP, the trick is finding a DOOM port that hasn't been changed into a clone of Quake. Most of the normal ports have advanced so far that they're hardly DOOM anymore. Here's an older copy of SDLDoom. It compiles in linux and you CAN play against the PSP with it. In Windows, you should be able to make it compile with CygWin. It uses SDL for the video/sound/input, so that shouldn't be an issue. If I find another suitable DOOM port, I'll let y'all know.

Attachments

• sdldoom-1.10.zip
    440.1 KB · Views: 70