• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Doom for the PSP

pspfan

Hey Chilly Willy,
I'm very happy to see a PSP Doom port with Infrastructure multiplayer support! Just a quick question though: Is there any way to talk to the opponent(s)? Like an OSK (i.e. Danzeff) or something like that?

I remember when Peter MacKay and Chris Swindle's Quake port first added Infrastructure there wasn't really away to do it but a guy named Garret Peters ( http://garretpeters.com/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=35 ) came up with a menu system where you could send short pre-made messages. This was pretty nice, but obviously an OSK where you could send ANYTHING would be a lot cooler and more useful (especially if it were the great Danzeff). Anyway, I'm starting to blabber...

So is there an OSK in the Infrastructure multiplayer of this Doom port? And if not, would you ever consider implementing one (preferrably Danzeff) or some other way to talk to the opponent (like the SOCOM microphone--hahaha just kidding on that one :p)?

Chilly Willy

Contributor
Doom has chat macros, but I have no idea what they do. I rarely play network games. You can enter text in Doom via the OSK by hitting TR+Start. That's how you input the more unusual cheats, so I suppose it should work with chat macros too.

I've had a thought of adding support for voice via the microphone, but that's really more work than I want to put into it. I've got the SOCOM headset and know how to input sound, but that would be overkill for Doom I'd think. :) Maybe if I get some more free time later. I have some other things I'm working on now.

pspfan

So the cheat OSK will work for online communication? That's pretty cool and I'll have to try it out! I didn't think there was any OSK and that's why I had asked for some implementation like Danzeff. Anyway, thanks again for the work on this.

P.S. I was completely kidding about the SOCOM headset suggestion, although that would probably win a "most innovative" homebrew title :). It's cool that you had actually thought about it before, though.

Chilly Willy

Contributor
So the cheat OSK will work for online communication? That's pretty cool and I'll have to try it out! I didn't think there was any OSK and that's why I had asked for some implementation like Danzeff. Anyway, thanks again for the work on this.

P.S. I was completely kidding about the SOCOM headset suggestion, although that would probably win a "most innovative" homebrew title :). It's cool that you had actually thought about it before, though.

There are three ways of doing cheats, each a little slower and more trouble than the previous: "instant" cheats use TRI+<one of the other three buttons>; this is the fastest and easiest cheat, but you only get to select three. Then you have the "selected" cheat: hold TRI and press LEFT or RIGHT to get to one of twelve cheats, then release TRI to select it. Slower, but you get to choose from the twelve most popular cheats. Last, you have the OSK, which allows you to input anything, including cheats. You'd use the OSK to warp to a level or change the music.

I have a SOCOM headset for both my PSPs, and was playing around with audio input code just a couple weeks ago. Getting the audio is not really a big deal - sending it to the other players would be more trouble. Anywho, anything I work on that has audio in can be modified to work with the SOCOM headset pretty easily. It's apps that DON'T support sound initially that require more work. Doom comes from a time of 9600 baud modems, so they never even thought of sending audio to the players. I could probably add it, but it's not a priority right now. Maybe later...

pspfan

Thanks again for another speedy and knowledgeable reply. I'll try the online play + OSK for communication in a bit.

As for the SOCOM mic stuff, definitely don't worry about it, like I said I was just kidding :)

codgedodger

Member 4 life
This game rocks thxz

mlwy45

Hey my dad and i are DOOM fans we have been for years, now NATUALLY we downloaded a fine DOOM game for psp....WITH NETWORKING! but...i can get one psp to start a game but the other is eather loading or i did something wrong...can someone help me plz. we're both using 3.71 m33-4 (psp slims)

Chilly Willy

Contributor
Read the readme closely - network games are not quite the simplest thing to set up (yet). Make sure each player has their own unique player number. If you're player 1, the other guy (if only two players) should be player 2. Make sure to enter the IP address for the other players on the appropriate line. Doom will show you YOUR IP address in the display, at which point you just exchange IP address info with all the involved players. Make sure everyone is using the same port.

Note, if you are networking across networks (not on the same router), the address Doom gives you is the LOCAL IP address. You'll need to visit a website like http://whatismyipaddress.com/ to find the IP address as it appears to people on the internet. Note that your ISP may change that number every few hours unless you pay extra for a static IP address. Also note that if you are doing this kind of networking, make sure your router is forwarding the port Doom uses to your PSP, and not the computer.

DarkOne675

i just downloaded doom for my psp and i read the readme and put the files in the right spot i have firmware 3.60 but when i go to the games folder on the psp and start up doom it starts going then it hits a black screen and after about 20 seconds it goes back to the psp menu and it says game could not be started? what should i do i really want to play doom

Acerthief

i just downloaded doom for my psp and i read the readme and put the files in the right spot i have firmware 3.60 but when i go to the games folder on the psp and start up doom it starts going then it hits a black screen and after about 20 seconds it goes back to the psp menu and it says game could not be started? what should i do i really want to play doom

These homebrews can only be ran under custom firmware PSPs. So official 3.60 is unable.

Chilly Willy

Contributor
These homebrews can only be ran under custom firmware PSPs. So official 3.60 is unable.

Official ANY version is unusable. :biggrin:

Custom firmware 3.xx is required. On a slim, you should be using 3.90 M33-2. You'll need a pandora's battery and memstick to install custom firmware on the slim. See the guides in the PSP FAQ & Guide forum.

B2K24

Just wanted to say I have been playing this for about 2 hours today.
Very awesome homebrew for the PSP it's alot of fun.
Recently some friends have taken notice to bunches of my homebrews and emulation that I game with on PSP. I have managed to get 5 of them to buy PSP's and some even sold there DS when I showed them what was possible on the PSP :smile:
Thank Chilly for all your work and releases 8)8):smile::biggrin:

Chilly Willy

Contributor
You're welcome. Devs always like it when you get good reports, but usually, no news is good news as people usually only report back when they have a problem. :)

Jhazky

<p>Hello Chilly! Thanks for this nice program! I'm really enjoying the good old days within my hands :) I don't know if this is still being updated, I want to let you know that I'm getting "W_GetNumForName: HELP2 not found" after loading Doom ultimate (retail version). Anyway, if I start the game fast enough, everything goes well. It seems to crash after the 10 seconds when you're in the Main Menu. I don't know if it is just me or a bug from the program. Just want to let you know, thanks!</p>

Ziirup

<p>Chilly! youre the man! thx for your commitment.</p>
<p>Few problems though, I hope you can fix em sometime.
First, the same thing Jhazky has "Help2 not found"
Also in the middle of game It might crash sometimes because some file not found. Third, I have some problem with the sound :( Music is kinda weird and soundeffects are really silent :/ :S</p>
<p>Evrything else is awesome!!!!!!!</p>

Chilly Willy

Contributor
I believe the Help2 issue has to do with the wad file having the wrong name, so it gets misidentified. Make sure it's called "doomu.wad", all lower case.

Salahmander

<p>Hey chilly, this app is awesome, i have one problem and that is when i rename the doom wad to doomu.wad i always get the first episode sky on every other episode</p>

angelsniper45

I know this is old but....woo!! I think i have successfully been able to play doom on pretty much every system i own. I still LOVE it!

Webfox

Hi! Chilly Willy!
I don't know if this threat is still alive, but I hope so...
I found your Doom port for PSP v1.4 and it's amazing. I love it.
Only a few questions about it:

- Is that one the last version of your port (v1.4)? Or may I get a later one? Where?
- I use ZDOOM in my PC. Is there any way to connect both systems (PSP & PC) in the same multiplayer game? If so, is your port always the host or what?

I've spent almost a week trying to make it but I couldn't. I definitely can't make it whithout help...

Thanks a lot.

Th3D00MGuy91

chilly willy, please email me at GMico@live.com i have some questions about how to fix my controls because the original controls are a pain in the ass to play with and i have a better idea on how they could work for future updates... please email me soon.
-the doom guy