• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Dragon Age: Origins - PS3 or PC?

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
Until today I was thinking of getting the PS3 version of Dragon Age, but after seeing the Digital Deluxe Edition on Steam, I am in doubt now... What do you guys think?

PC Pros:

More Content;

PC Cons:

Specs;

PS3 Pros:

No Specs;
Trophies;

PS3 Cons:

Price;
Content;

georgery

ps3 is a much better console for those types of games, I recommend that you get it on that.

Abe Froeman

Gamer Dad
Enforcer Team
Is anyone else playing this? I started about an hour or so ago and it's decent.

The combat is very basic so far, but I'm liking the dialogue a good amount.

Started off playing as a Human Warrior.

twelve

I'm not dead
I'll be grabbing the PS3 version when it comes out on the 20th. For some unknown reason it's got a 2 week delay in the UK, 360 and PC versions came out on Friday.

At least it gives me time to finish Borderlands.

Craig Fairfax

illuminati Vereran
I have the pc version. I hear the battle system is different and easier on the ps3. I like the game but I find myself dreading the thought of another battle.

Abe Froeman

Gamer Dad
Enforcer Team
I have the pc version. I hear the battle system is different and easier on the ps3. I like the game but I find myself dreading the thought of another battle.

That's odd.

I wanted to get this on the 360 to have the Blood Dragon armor for Mass Effect 2. Right when I got was going to go back to this, I got pulled into a Gears 2 match with Sinfulfate and hippie after like a three month hiatus.

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
I'm importing the game from Canada this week. Don't feel like waiting two more weeks for the game. And I'm getting it for the PS3, I tried the PC version of a friend of mine's and I didn't like it that much. Plus I've gotten used to playing BioWare games on consoles

Sinfulfate

Is the combat in this game better than in Oblivion? I'm thinking about picking up this game since Gamestop has the deal where you can trade in 2 games and get this for $20.

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
This is totally different from Oblivion and Fallout 3 tbh...

Sinfulfate

This is totally different from Oblivion and Fallout 3 tbh...

How so? I know you control multiple characters in DA: Origins but there still both open world fantasy single player rpgs. What I care about tho is the combat because I hated the combat in Oblivion.

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
From what I know it's more like Mass Effect than Oblivion... ;) Is that enough? Well, I can tell you from what I've seen that's its NOTHING like Oblivion.

Sinfulfate

From what I know it's more like Mass Effect than Oblivion... ;) Is that enough? Well, I can tell you from what I've seen that's its NOTHING like Oblivion.

How is it like Mass Effect? Mass effect isn't even a fantasy game. Have you played Oblivion? DA: Origins looks exactly like Oblivion but you control a party instead of being alone.

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
How is it like Mass Effect? Mass effect isn't even a fantasy game. Have you played Oblivion? DA: Origins looks exactly like Oblivion but you control a party instead of being alone.

I said: GAMEPLAY IS MORE LIKE MASS EFFECT THEN OBLIVION.

Is that so hard to understand?

And yes, I've played Oblivion, Fallout 3 and every BioWare game since Baldur's Gate. So yeah, I know BioWare and the games they make. When I say, gameplay is more like Mass Effect, it's because it is. I never compared settings. Don't compare games from Bethescrap (Elder Scrolls and now Fallout) to games from BioWare.

The only difference from Mass Effect to Dragon Age is that in the PC version, you can play it top-down view like a strategy-game and in the PS3/360 version you can only play third person cam. GAMEPLAY-WISE

Abe Froeman

Gamer Dad
Enforcer Team
This game plays nothing like Mass Effect.

The only similarity is that you will have long conversation trees to use that, when used properly, will increase or decrease how your party mates view you. It's still early on for me, but I can tell it's being set up for asking people to join your party and start any romantic possibilities with the woman characters. The other similarity is that you need to keep up and equip your party members as they level up.

The combat is pretty basic with the A button being used for a basic attack. The X, Y, and B buttons can have either attacks or other things like healing potions mapped out to them. In addition to that, if you pull the Right Trigger, you'll get another set of options to map out for combat, again using the X, Y, and B buttons.

Each combat move you map to one of the buttons has a cool down period.

Apart from that, you walk around and look for loot and items and new quests to take on. Each character has a skill tree that you can add to every time they level up.

I'm not a big fan of the combat still having put in some more hours early this morning.

Also, there's no need to hate on Bethesda, Kezra.

Sinfulfate

I said: GAMEPLAY IS MORE LIKE MASS EFFECT THEN OBLIVION.
No you didn't. You just said its more like Mass Effect than Oblivion and I assumed you were talking about the whole game. You confused me when you brought up fallout 3 since that games combat has no relevance to if oblivion or dragons age combat is similar so I assumed you were referring to the games as a whole since you never specified what you were referring to.[/QUOTE]

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
Thanks for the correction Abe. I thought it played more like Mass Effect from what I'd seen in videos. But that doesn't sound too bad, even if kinda easy.

I don't hate Bethesda, I just can't stand their business decisions when it comes to the PS3. That and the fact their games are buggy as holy hell.

No you didn't. You just said its more like Mass Effect than Oblivion and I assumed you were talking about the whole game. You confused me when you brought up fallout 3 since that games combat has no relevance to if oblivion or dragons age combat is similar so I assumed you were referring to the games as a whole since you never specified what you were referring to.

I never mentioned story also. You asked about gameplay I answered, that simple. Sorry for the outburst btw, bad week.

I brought up Fallout because it plays similar to Oblivion except for the VATS System. I apologize for the confusion :p

Sinfulfate

This game plays nothing like Mass Effect.

The only similarity is that you will have long conversation trees to use that, when used properly, will increase or decrease how your party mates view you. It's still early on for me, but I can tell it's being set up for asking people to join your party and start any romantic possibilities with the woman characters. The other similarity is that you need to keep up and equip your party members as they level up.

The combat is pretty basic with the A button being used for a basic attack. The X, Y, and B buttons can have either attacks or other things like healing potions mapped out to them. In addition to that, if you pull the Right Trigger, you'll get another set of options to map out for combat, again using the X, Y, and B buttons.

Each combat move you map to one of the buttons has a cool down period.

Apart from that, you walk around and look for loot and items and new quests to take on. Each character has a skill tree that you can add to every time they level up.

I'm not a big fan of the combat still having put in some more hours early this morning.

Also, there's no need to hate on Bethesda, Kezra.
Ya thats what I thought but wanted to be sure. Seems to work exactly like Sacred 2 does. For $20 I think ill give this game a shot.

Abe Froeman

Gamer Dad
Enforcer Team
I also forgot to mention that there are combat tactics that you can assign for everyone in your party.

It's basically preset options you create for battle scenarios. For example, if "X" character gets to < or = 25% health, use small healing potion. Or if "X" character gets to < or = to 75% of health, trigger "this" battle move, etc.

I haven't really messed around with this aspect though.

But it's well worth trying out for $20 because I can tell it will kill a lot of hours.