• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Dump UMD directly to computer

Roe

Firstly download usbsss1.0 from HERE

1. Extract the contents of the folder with winrar on you harddrive

2. Copy %__SCE__USBSSS and __SCE__USBSSS to ms0:/PSP/GAME150 if using a custom firmware and ms0:/PSP/GAME if using fw 1.50

3. Open up the application from the xmb

4. Select Virtual FAT16 . UMD ISO-9000

5. Copy and paste UMD9660 to your harddrive

6. You have just dumped you UMD to your computer

Attachments

• USBSSS1.0.rar
    39.5 KB · Views: 5,470

Chilly Willy

Contributor
Wow, you skipped a lot of steps... no noobie would be able to follow that. Lemme show you how I would do it using D_A's dumping software. :wink:

Dump UMD to your Computer

First get the following:
UMD DAX Dumper 0.2 beta
PSPLink v2.0
USBHOSTFS Windows package

Installation:
Unzip the __SCE__umddaxdumper and %__SCE__umddaxdumper folders into the PSP\GAME folder for firmware 1.5, PSP\GAME150 folder for custom firmwares.

From the psplink_v2.0.tar.bz2 file, extract the file usbhostfs.prx from psplink_v2.0/v1.5/psplink/ inside the archive. Copy this file into PSP\GAME\__SCE__umddaxdumper\.

Make a folder on your PC's harddrive, for example, c:\usbhostfs. Unzip usbhostfs_PC_Win_1.5.zip into that folder. Create a folder inside it called ISO. You should now have two folders inside c:\usbhostfs, ISO and driver.

Setup:
Now the tricky part - Windows won't install drivers for hardware that doesn't exist, so we need to activate USBHOSTFS from the PSP so that Windows will ask to install the driver. Run the DAX dumper on the PSP now. It'll ask you to insert a UMD - do so. Now press the left on the d-pad until Dump to: changes to usbhostfs0:/ISO. Press the Start button. Windows should now see the PSP and ask to install drivers.

Tell the Windows hardware driver installer that you have a disk, navigate to c:\usbhostfs\driver, and click ok. The driver installer will select the psp.inf file, and tell you that it's found drivers for PSP Type B hardware. Click okay to install the drivers. You'll have to power off the PSP at this point because it won't abort the previous attempt to dump the UMD.

Using:
Open a Windows command shell and do "cd c:\usbhostfs", then "usbhostfs.exe". Power on the PSP and run the dumper. Set Dump to: to usbhostfs0:/ISO. Set the Format: to ISO if you wish to look at the dump with an ISO program, or set it to DAX format if you wish to have a compressed game disk. Set Compression level: to the amount of compression you wish (DAX format only, 1=least, 9=most). Make sure Split size: is set to No split. Press the Start button and now the UMD will be dumped into the c:\usbhostfs\ISO folder. Once the PSP is done, go into the c:\usbhostfs\ISO folder and rename the file to something meaningful (e.g., the name of the game). Now you can dump another UMD.

Roe

Wow, you skipped a lot of steps... no noobie would be able to follow that. Lemme show you how I would do it using D_A's dumping software. :wink:

Dump UMD to your Computer

First get the following:
UMD DAX Dumper 0.2 beta
PSPLink v2.0
USBHOSTFS Windows package

Installation:
Unzip the __SCE__umddaxdumper and %__SCE__umddaxdumper folders into the PSP\GAME folder for firmware 1.5, PSP\GAME150 folder for custom firmwares.

From the psplink_v2.0.tar.bz2 file, extract the file usbhostfs.prx from psplink_v2.0/v1.5/psplink/ inside the archive. Copy this file into PSP\GAME\__SCE__umddaxdumper\.

Make a folder on your PC's harddrive, for example, c:\usbhostfs. Unzip usbhostfs_PC_Win_1.5.zip into that folder. Create a folder inside it called ISO. You should now have two folders inside c:\usbhostfs, ISO and driver.

Setup:
Now the tricky part - Windows won't install drivers for hardware that doesn't exist, so we need to activate USBHOSTFS from the PSP so that Windows will ask to install the driver. Run the DAX dumper on the PSP now. It'll ask you to insert a UMD - do so. Now press the left on the d-pad until Dump to: changes to usbhostfs0:/ISO. Press the Start button. Windows should now see the PSP and ask to install drivers.

Tell the Windows hardware driver installer that you have a disk, navigate to c:\usbhostfs\driver, and click ok. The driver installer will select the psp.inf file, and tell you that it's found drivers for PSP Type B hardware. Click okay to install the drivers. You'll have to power off the PSP at this point because it won't abort the previous attempt to dump the UMD.

Using:
Open a Windows command shell and do "cd c:\usbhostfs", then "usbhostfs.exe". Power on the PSP and run the dumper. Set Dump to: to usbhostfs0:/ISO. Set the Format: to ISO if you wish to look at the dump with an ISO program, or set it to DAX format if you wish to have a compressed game disk. Set Compression level: to the amount of compression you wish (DAX format only, 1=least, 9=most). Make sure Split size: is set to No split. Press the Start button and now the UMD will be dumped into the c:\usbhostfs\ISO folder. Once the PSP is done, go into the c:\usbhostfs\ISO folder and rename the file to something meaningful (e.g., the name of the game). Now you can dump another UMD.
I thought the instructions were pretty clear. I had heard of your method before but I coudn't work it so I thought my tut was easier. Whats so hard about mine

Chilly Willy

Contributor
You tell how to set up the PSP side, and say nothing at all about the PC side. It takes both sides to dump to the PC. The PC won't take a PSP dump without drivers installed and a client application running. That's why I had all that info on usbhostfs.

Roe

You tell how to set up the PSP side, and say nothing at all about the PC side. It takes both sides to dump to the PC. The PC won't take a PSP dump without drivers installed and a client application running. That's why I had all that info on usbhostfs.
With usbsss you dont need any drivers or a client app thats why it's so easy

Chilly Willy

Contributor
With usbsss you dont need any drivers or a client app thats why it's so easy

Okay, I went and checked the readme in USBSSS... what it does is mount things as fake USB sticks... one of which is the UMD. So I guess that would be more convenient for dumping a UMD. :smile:

triplenine

So the question becomes:

Can you then use that iso like any other and compress it with popstation to play it from a memory stick as a backup? Or is another compression tool needed?

Roe

Can you then use that iso like any other and compress it with popstation to play it from a memory stick as a backup? Or is another compression tool needed?
Yes you can use that iso like every other there is absolutely no difference.

Darkchild

The Doctor
you don't compress UMDs with popstation, popstation is for PSX games that can be ripped from windows, Google Iso to CSO compressor

Chilly Willy

Contributor
you don't compress UMDs with popstation, popstation is for PSX games that can be ripped from windows, Google Iso to CSO compressor

I also made a python script that linux folks can use. I should probably upload that here sometime. Technically, it should work in any system with python, cdread, and cdrdao, but I couldn't get it to work on OSX... trouble getting cdrdao to work with the built in DVD.

I made all my popstation EBOOTs in linux with the script, so I know that works. I really ought to make a GUI for it and take another whack at the Mac sometime.

Followed the instructions but when I connect to my computer with the program running Windows says it does not recognize the device and therefore there's no drive to copy the UMD to the computer.. any hints? Thanks!

Wally_Peanuts

Roe-Ur-Boat you are THE man, love the tut and how simple it is, finally, i can play all my games, without carrying around 238947239847239487 umd discs.