• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Ethernet Cable?

Sullivan

Is there a special Ethernet Cable I need to use for my PS3? I lost the one that comes with it, and every time I try to use a regular cable, it doesn't quite work. It says no cable was detected or something of that.

But I had an incident were I think the port may be broken, so I need to know if it is a certain pin cable or such?

Thanks for reading.

Adiuvo

Any ethernet cable should work. If you've tried multiple the port is probably broken, in which case you should just use wireless or send it in.

Sullivan

Ya, I have been using wireless forever, but I only get 60% signal in my living room, which sucks.
Cause I would love to host games and such, I have a fast connection, just my wireless signal sucks.

Abe Froeman

Gamer Dad
Enforcer Team
I've only been on wireless and I don't have any issues. It's not that bad. Could be better, but it's not that bad.

Seth

MD Party Room
Ethernet Cables are cheap...

And yea you can use a plane old one on your ps3..Just like you can use a cheap hdmi cable...

And yea wifi works fine for me...But from time to time it does disconnect after several hours..

Sullivan

Well, I am going to retry many cables, as I have a lot of them.

If all fails, then I might send it in, it was physically broke, but nothing that looks like someone broke it, you know what I mean? Do you think they will charge me for it?

Adiuvo

Depends if it's in warranty or not, since there's no obvious sign of damage. Sony doesn't really check in my experience.

Seth

MD Party Room
Yea There cover it...

Sullivan

if i took out my hd and sent it in, would that be ok?

Adiuvo

They don't usually send you back the same item you sent in. They just stick in a referb pile of sorts, to wait for it to be parted or repaired. If they didn't the whole process would be longer.

Sullivan

Ok, well if the port is broken, then that must mean the motherboard is broken, which means they might just send a whole refurb?

Seth

MD Party Room
Yea...But dealing with sony is way better then dealing with MS or so I heard...You should get it before x max break..

Sullivan

My break starts in 9 days...

EDIT: What I am going to do is try different cables, then talk to my dad about sending it in.
Whats the process?

Slasher

Suck It
Wireless internet @ 100%
vs.
Ethernet cable

Which is better? Because I have my PS3 literally sitting right next to the router and it's using wireless because I'm too lazy to find a cable and hook it up. Would using a cable increase speeds?