• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.
  • If your profile is showing up as Not Ranked, please review our rules page and follow the appeal process detailed there.

Game Icon Submissions

CaptainScarLeg

Staff member
Game Info Editor
The other one I am wondering is should Retro Achievements have the system logo somewhere. Because some games are available MultiPlatform on RA. So do we think they should have the system on the logo, either the system logo, or a mini system icon?
Huh... that's actually a really good point. Part of me would be happy to make icon templates with system logos on them (kind of mini-box art style) but it would probably make more sense to just rename multi-platform RA games like this:

Donkey Kong Country (SNES)
Donkey Kong Country (GBA)

That way the icons can be consistent, and it's how they do it on the Retro Achievements site too.

CaptainScarLeg

Staff member
Game Info Editor
Chime (360)
Chime (Steam)

Chime.png

https://i.exophase.com/steam/games/o/43474.png
copy to
Chime Sharp (Xbox One)

https://i.exophase.com/psn/games/o/ee4j5.png
copy to
DmC Devil May Cry: Definitive Edition (Xbox One)

Super Meat Boy (All platforms)
Super Meat Boy.png

😁

Last edited:

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor

CaptainScarLeg

Staff member
Game Info Editor
Admittedly that looks better but I was referring to this:
Definitely doesn't fit Goat Simulator.
Oh, right you are, I completely missed that you were referring to the background and not the icon. Yeah I'm not sure Naruto should have been on there haha.
Oh well, we gave the whole thing a makeover.

Bit of an experiment with this icon, trying to use the title screen again rather than box art, doubled the resolution to keep the pixels 1:1 but I don't know how the scaling on the site will handle it. Only one way to find out, if it doesn't work I'll use something else. It's 512 x 281 which should be the correct ratio.

Tetris Attack
Tetris Attack.png

:)

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
I've noticed that certain achievement icons have been changed on RA, and the Exophase icons are outdated compared to RetroAchievements. Compare the achievement icons from RA and Exophase:

Super Mario 64:
http://retroachievements.org/game/10003

https://www.exophase.com/game/super-mario-64-retro/achievements/#1341870

It's not really a big deal, but it's worth mentioning I think.

I refreshed them now. If there are other games that have icons that need to be updated feel free to post them here.

CaptainScarLeg

Staff member
Game Info Editor
I always thought the RetroAchievements games should have the platform in their icon or title, so I tried something that I personally really like. Thoughts?

~Hack~ Another Super Mario 3D (Retro)
View attachment 10475
While I like that aesthetically (and considered trying this myself several posts back in this thread) I don't like the idea of having these icons mixed in with the regular icons for other platforms on our profiles.

I think it would be better to either rename the games if they're multiplatform (shouldn't be necessary for platform exclusives) for instance; "Earthworm Jim (SNES)" and "Earthworm Jim (GEN)" or add platform labels that go alongside the "Retro" label. Kind of like how some games have both a "Uplay" label and "Xbox One" (although it looks like many of those games have duplicate entries on here, that might be a separate issue that needs looking at.

Adding the individual platforms would look the best and be consistent with the rest of this site but would be more work than editing just multiplatform retro titles, unless it would be possible to detect the platforms from the retroachievements site and automate that process.

Any thoughts on all this boss-man?

Last edited:
P

PortaledEdge

While I like that aesthetically (and considered trying this myself several posts back in this thread) I don't like the idea of having these icons mixed in with the regular icons for other platforms on our profiles.

I think it would be better to either rename the games if they're multiplatform (shouldn't be necessary for platform exclusives) for instance; "Earthworm Jim (SNES)" and "Earthworm Jim (GEN)" or add platform labels that go alongside the "Retro" label. Kind of like how some games have both a "Uplay" label and "Xbox One" (although it looks like many of those games have duplicate entries on here, that might be a separate issue that needs looking at.

Adding the individual platforms would look the best and be consistent with the rest of this site but would be more work than editing just multiplatform retro titles, unless it would be possible to detect the platforms from the retroachievements site and automate that process.

Personally I would be fine with just the system in the title. I just want some way to see which platforms the retro games are, since in the future there will be a lot of retro games on my profile.

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor

I could add the platform label for Retro titles. Would it be better if we just show one label, so as in the example below it'd just show N64? The RA icon is still visible, so I think it's clear enough that it is part of Retro Achievements.

Screen Shot 2020-05-03 at 1.27.50 PM.png

Can display both labels as well but I think this looks cleaner.

For the Uplay games - the duplicate entries are normal. Ubisoft have them listed like that on their end as well, you can earn challenges in each platform listing. If the challenges could only be earned once across platforms I would combine them but that is not the case.

Maybe we should do the same with the Uplay labels though as well - I think it looks better than having two labels.

Last edited:
P

PortaledEdge

I could add the platform label for Retro titles. Would it be better if we just show one label, so as in the example below it'd just show N64? The RA icon is still visible, so I think it's clear enough that it is part of Retro Achievements.

View attachment 10482

For the Uplay games - the duplicate entries are normal. Ubisoft have them listed like that on their end as well, you can earn challenges in each platform listing. If the challenges could only be earned once across platforms I would combine them but that is not the case.

Maybe we should do the same with the Uplay labels though as well - I think it looks better than having two labels.
Yes! This looks excellent. Would completely solve the issue. I'm all for it.

CaptainScarLeg

Staff member
Game Info Editor

View attachment 10482

Yeah that looks great. Is there a way to pull the platform data over/automate it or will we have to manually change it for each game? I don't know how many games are in the retro achievements database but I imagine it would take a while to do it all manually...

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
Yeah that looks great. Is there a way to pull the platform data over/automate it or will we have to manually change it for each game? I don't know how many games are in the retro achievements database but I imagine it would take a while to do it all manually...

It can be pulled in automatically :)