• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

PS3 George Hotz Bows Out Of iPhone, PS3 Hacking Scene

Moose

Meta Moose
It's a shame that his hobby became a hinderance. If I were him I'd continue doing what I wanted without sharing anything with the public.

Hellcat

Contributor
So Geofail finally admitted being a total failure?

I had the doubtfull "luxery" of using some of his iPhone jailbreaks and his were the worst compared to the others.
Sometimes it didn't even work at all or was highly incompatible while every other jailbreakmaker managed to do working, nice and surprisingly compatible tools/jailbreaks.

PS3 was a total total failure for him.
OK, he made that one exploit - that really got the show going, much was gathered using it - but then he announced loudly something he was not able to actually pull off. And he didn't stop, he pushed it even further ("I shall bring thou OtherOS onto the Slim PS3!").

That all (not doing stuff right and LOUDLY announcing things he's simply not capable doing) but yet thinking of himself as some kind of uber god like being, that all makes him the failest fail of the decade.

Maybe because you're knocking him for doing a very similar thing to what you were proud of showing off on another platform?
iLol'ed xD

But as stated above, it's a bit different.
"Those" guys were actually capable of doing what they showed, Geofail made empty promises he never was able to keep.

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
Hellcat made a nice summary of his thoughts on the matter over at our baby site, MFM, on this issue:

Maybe because you're knocking him for doing a very similar thing to what you were proud of showing off on another platform?
iLol'ed xD

But as stated above, it's a bit different.
"Those" guys were actually capable of doing what they showed, Geofail made empty promises he never was able to keep.[/quote]

Alex

Hellcat made a nice summary of his thoughts on the matter over at our baby site, MFM, on this issue:

Ugh, Can't believe he's left the scene... I wouldn't off even hacked my PS3 if he released the crap, its just the buzz off seeing something so sealed tight with security, cracked.

As for Hellcats statement, abit selfcentered maybe? i sense abit off jealousy?? Lol

MenaceInc

Staff Member
Ugh, Can't believe he's left the scene... I wouldn't off even hacked my PS3 if he released the crap, its just the buzz off seeing something so sealed tight with security, cracked.

As for Hellcats statement, abit selfcentered maybe? i sense abit off jealousy?? Lol

Not really. GeoHotz did say that he'd bring out a CFW for the PS3. He didn't. So Hellcat's right.

january39

eXo Staff
Did he ever actually say he was going to release it to anyone? I cant recall that if so.

I do know to date, he is the only one to do much with the PS3 - He probably was showing off, who would'nt a bit? :)

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
He never committed to releasing an actual CFW with all the bells and whistles but DID promise that a solution to get OtherOS functional under 3.21 and beyond was in the works. Why tease something and never release it?

I understand Team Typhoon did that when teasing their PSPgo homebrew loader but there is a clear difference here. GeoHot's efforts pushed Sony over the edge to remove OtherOS. Understandably, they took precautionary steps to avoid a repeat of the PSP. He certainly wasn't obligated to bring it back but the impression he gave to the community said otherwise through continuous teases.

It's one thing if you preface your work by saying so-and-so will never be released. GeoHot on the other hand sparked hopes and never delivered. If there was never an honest intention to go public then he should have kept a lid on it.

So I can understand why anyone that was expecting something tangible from his work is extremely disappointed (and angry) right now. GeoHot only has himself to blame for creating such perception.

Hellcat

Contributor
For my part, I'm not angry about the PS3 part.
His exploit was great, so much came out of using that.

For one I just don't like the general "I R god" attitude while not being much more than a script-kiddy (granted, he IS more, but you get my point).
If - just a random example ;) - DAX would put that attitude up (which he never did AFAIK!) I'd just go "hell yeah" as he DID do pure amazingness.

Just to get this straight(er): What Typhoon did I found OK, they ARE capable of what they said and they proved it - just didn't release, fine. Geohot shouted out loud he is capable of doing oh so many things but in the end he wasn't. THAT's what I don't like, back in the days we called those ones "lamers" ;) - but that's purely and solely my own opinion, just stating :)

lulzwat?
Selfcentered? Where did I say anything about me? *looksandchecks*
Jealous? Nah.... about what? ;)

Did he ever actually say he was going to release it to anyone?
Yes, he stated it in his blog a few times, one time there even was a "comming next week, or so" announcement.

Alex

For my part, I'm not angry about the PS3 part.
His exploit was great, so much came out of using that.

For one I just don't like the general "I R god" attitude while not being much more than a script-kiddy (granted, he IS more, but you get my point).
If - just a random example ;) - DAX would put that attitude up (which he never did AFAIK!) I'd just go "hell yeah" as he DID do pure amazingness.

Just to get this straight(er): What Typhoon did I found OK, they ARE capable of what they said and they proved it - just didn't release, fine. Geohot shouted out loud he is capable of doing oh so many things but in the end he wasn't. THAT's what I don't like, back in the days we called those ones "lamers" ;) - but that's purely and solely my own opinion, just stating :)

lulzwat?
Selfcentered? Where did I say anything about me? *looksandchecks*
Jealous? Nah.... about what? ;)

Yes, he stated it in his blog a few times, one time there even was a "comming next week, or so" announcement.

Gosh, i realy shouldnt comment on stuff when im tired lol. when i said selfcentered, i was well out of order, Sorry there :)
but he did promise to get the 3.21 otheros, but never promise a released...

january39

eXo Staff
I stand corrected then, i was not aware he said he would release it - I never saw that. If he said he would and now he says he wont then i guess the anger towards this is in part justified.

Alex

He did a lot off teasing for sure, but i don't recall him ever promising a release... :p
Anyway, hes gone, thats it

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
Don't think he ever explicitly said he would release it but when he tells people not to update their PS3's and that he's working on a solution for OtherOS support and then releases a video showing it working you would think he would release it...

GeoHotz said:
A note to people interested in the exploit and retaining OtherOS support, DO NOT UPDATE. When 3.21 comes out, I will look into a safe way of updating to retain OtherOS support, perhaps something like Hellcat's Recovery Flasher. I never intended to touch CFW, but if that's how you want to play...
- After this quote he then released a video of OtherOS on 3.21...so you would assume that means he will be releasing it soon since he told us all not to update

Alex

Well i updated....Couldnt stand not being able to sign into psn, plus, i never used otheros, i was going to, but it was also to long...

january39

eXo Staff
Don't think he ever explicitly said he would release it but when he tells people not to update their PS3's and that he's working on a solution for OtherOS support and then releases a video showing it working you would think he would release it...

- After this quote he then released a video of OtherOS on 3.21...so you would assume that means he will be releasing it soon since he told us all not to update

Well, reading that i can see why - it does sound like he was going to release something.

KezraPlanes

Just some dood

I'm not even pissed he took he didn't release the damn thing... I'm pissed we all lost something for nothing... It was a waste and if it was going to be like this, the hack should have never been released publically.

I wasn't a hardcore OtherOS user, but even I liked to tinker with my xubuntu once in a while.

Hellcat

Contributor
Yeah, the loose of OtherOS is a really ugly side effect and a good reason to be angry - though I'm not (that much).
My Phat PS3 might be, as it'll never see another Update :-/

What makes me not liking him is the quallity of the stuff he does release in relation to his "I R god" ego - general dislike of such people.

january39

eXo Staff
Ill never even get a chance to run another OS :(