• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Humanism and The Meaning of Life (help me with my RE project)

Slasher

Suck It
(with exceptions of course) religious people are incapable of contributing anything to society.

I stopped reading right there. Even with the "exceptions" safe net added in.

Uh, no. Ridiculous narrow-minded overgeneralization.

LocutusEstBorg

I stopped reading right there. Even with the "exceptions" safe net added in.

Uh, no. Ridiculous narrow-minded overgeneralization.

I'm talking about the people who's answer to everything is "because God did it" because they refuse to make an effort to understand anything even when you try to explain it to them. Not "I go to church on Sunday" religious people. Anyone who says "because God did it" is certainly not capable of inventing anything. Why? Because they believe its not their job but God's job. Any mindless activity they do do can probably be done by a machine.

Adiuvo

Giving God credit for everything doesn't reflect on your capability to invent. Considering how religious people were back during the 1600s-1900s I wouldn't be surprised if major inventors were entirely religious.

LocutusEstBorg

Giving god credit for everything doesn't reflect on your capability to invent. Considering how religious people were back during the 1600s-1900s I wouldn't be surprised if major inventors were entirely religious.

Of course it doesn't reflect. Its all in their head. The ones who do and are still over religious are the exceptions.

I'm pretty sure most inventors were agnostic or tending away from god. When you can accept that god had nothing to do with your invention and other people's inventions, it's not too hard to believe that we are a result of evolution from unicellular organisms and weren't "invented" by god.

And that's why we've progressed 100x as must as we did in the 1600s-1900s. We won't be burned at stake for our beliefs so we have the peace of mind to progress society how ever we see fit.

Humanitarian Secularism is the way to go. Let us do our stuff in peace. Its better for you too, even if you are not helping.

Josey Wales

Evil Poptart
The only 100% factual statement in this topic will be as follows:

God is just as real as Sasquatch is.

Think about that sentence real hard and all of the evidence and support behind it and tell me im wrong.

unconcentrated

Earl of Awesome
The only 100% factual statement in this topic will be as follows:

God is just as real as Sasquatch is.

Think about that sentence real hard and all of the evidence and support behind it and tell me im wrong.

As AndrewYY stated, there are videos of Sasquatch, how ever blurry/crappy they may be. There are also numerous sightings in different areas by different people that all describe relatively the same thing. Sure, they could be basing the story off of another, but there are still videos, eye-witness accounts and photos.

God, on the other hand has no proof whatsoever, other than the words of preachers and other religious folk. There have been no sightings of God, no videos, nothing. I'm not saying that there is something at play that we do not understand.

Gods were invented by man to rationalize things that were unexplainable. Which, at the time when gods were thought up was a lot of things. Look at the Greeks, Romans, Egyptians or the Norse. They had gods for everything. The Sun, war, love, etc. It was all relatively unknown. Then, secular religions came along and took the ideas of these pagan/"heathen" religions and mashed their gods into a ball called God.

So, no. There is more proof that Sasquatch exists than that of God.

LocutusEstBorg

I object. Ask people to get a video of God, and I'll bet there will be 5,000 people with a response in 48 hours.

The human need to feel recognized. It is prevalent.

Sasquatch is completely scientifically sound genetic mutation with a mathematical probability of actually existing. There exists a combination of DNA that will produce Sasquatch. There is however no sequence of events that could result in god.

unconcentrated

Earl of Awesome
I object. Ask people to get a video of God, and I'll bet there will be 5,000 people with a response in 48 hours.

The human need to feel recognized. It is prevalent.

Get me a video of God that is believable. Sasquatch videos at least have an inkling of possible truth to them.

explosions

Sasquatch is completely scientifically sound genetic mutation with a mathematical probability of actually existing. There exists a combination of DNA that will produce Sasquatch. There is however no sequence of events that could result in god.

There's a small town not too far away from where I live that made it on to the Discovery Channel for claiming to have an unknown beast wandering around. I mean with a population of about 3,000. And everyone around there knows it was a lie to draw attention to the town a long while ago.

---------- Post added at 11:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:31 PM ----------

Get me a video of God that is believable. Sasquatch videos at least have an inkling of possible truth to them.

That's an opinion. If you agreed to have an open mind towards God, as you have towards Sasquatch, that task would be relatively simple.

LocutusEstBorg

There's a small town not too far away from where I live that made it on to the Discovery Channel for claiming to have an unknown beast wandering around. I mean with a population of about 3,000. And everyone around there knows it was a lie to draw attention to the town a long while ago.

The point isn't whether its true or not. Only that it is possible.

Josey Wales

Evil Poptart
Well anything is possible if you want to word it like that.

Mars could be inhabited beneath the surface or the internet could have been created by Hitler. Anything really is possible, theres no way to know anything for a 100% fact

LocutusEstBorg

Well anything is possible if you want to word it like that.

Mars could be inhabited beneath the surface or the internet could have been created by Hitler. Anything really is possible, theres no way to know anything for a 100% fact

Yes of course. Anything that could result as a consequence of real world physical events or events in the entire Universe for that matter is completely possible, how ever improbably. We just just choose to conclude whether it exists or not depending on how probable.

Only as possible as God existing.

No, much much more probably than god existing since its an actually measurable probability, however close to zero. God existing has a probability of exactly zero. If you believe it is blind faith and nothing else. No one is discounting your beliefs, but don't try to say its scientifically sound, especially by comparing it to an improbability that actually is scientifically sound.

Scorned

Yes of course. Anything that could result as a consequence of real world physical events or events in the entire Universe for that matter is completely possible, how ever improbably. We just just choose to conclude whether it exists or not depending on how probable.

Just like many years ago we could never imagine that a thing like the Universe could ever exist?

Maybe logically, and from what we know NOW it may not be true, but from what the human race has seen throughout the years, a shitload of things are possible.

I'm not stating that God necessarily exists or not, just that you seem to be as close-minded as all those you criticize, for example if you were there many years ago, you'd be one of the ones saying "What the hell is the Universe? That's just impossible".

explosions

No, much much more probably than god existing since its an actually measurable probability.

A religious person would disagree. You're limited by concluding whether or not something exists. If it's tangible, visible, or otherwise readily noticed by one of my senses, I agree that it exists. Otherwise, it's unknown to me.

What I'm saying is this: you ruling God of existence in your mind is the same as a religious person ruling Sasquatch out of existence in theirs. It's all a matter of how you view things and what's important to you. They have a pretty equal chance of actually existing, imo.

---------- Post added at 11:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:51 PM ----------

Just like many years ago we could never imagine that a thing like the Universe could ever exist?

Maybe logically, and from what we know NOW it may not be true, but from what the human race has seen throughout the years, a shitload of things are possible.

I'm not stating that God necessarily exists or not, just that you seem to be as close-minded as all those you criticize, for example if you were there many years ago, you'd be one of the ones saying "What the hell is the Universe? That's just impossible".

I commend you, sir, for taking up my point of view.