• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Multi [Impressions] Dante's Inferno Demo

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
Yesterday's US PSN Store update brought along with it "Dante's Inferno - Gates of Hell" demo, so today I decided to sit down and play it to see what the folks at Visceral have in store for us in their next installment. Here's my thoughts on their work:

Graphics

The game looks really good at this point, not Bayonetta/Uncharted 2 good, but really good nonetheless. I thought some textures looked weird, but I'm really picky so that might have just been me. Also, here goes a really positive feedback to Visceral because the game runs at a smooth 60FPS (from I could gather) and there wasn't a single slowdown I can complain of. For me that is no doubt a really good thing.

Gameplay

There is nothing fancy about the gameplay of this demo: it's brutal and it's simple and it works damn good. Expect a God of War-ish gameplay with combos, blood splatter and body parts flying everywhere because this game is mindless fun when it comes to that. The camera auto-adjusts itself to your needs and that leaves the right analog stick for dodging. It's a different mechanic from what I expected but it works well after you get used to it.
There are three different ways to attack, light attack (square), heavy attack (triangle) and a little later on Beatrice Cross attack (circle). It works really well and responsiveness is good, combos are easy enough to do. Not much to say when it comes to that.
Worthy of being mentioned here also is the upgrade system. You get white souls from kills you make, which you can later on spend on upgrades. The upgrades work on a tree system, so if you want a certain ability, you have to purchase all abilities prior to it in the tree. This is applicable to everything obviously.
Something I didn't really understand was there, was my "Level" since I apparently got no experience whatsoever in all my time and the only reason why I got to upgrade Dante was because I killed the Grim Reaper. Yes, you get to kill the Grim Reaper. Awesome, I know. Oh, and did I meantion you keep his scythe? Yes, you do.

Sound

The soundtrack is nothing out of the ordinary, but it fits the game very well and adds to the atmosphere to perfection. Nothing worthy of noting both negative or positive.

Story

This demo centers about how Dante got in that whole mess in the first place. Christian bishop says "Go retake our lands from the infidels for you will be freed of all sins", crusaders go slaughter innocents, Dante gets killed and discovers from the Grim Reaper that after all their sins weren't forgiven. Dante kills the Grim Reaper to save himself, and goes back home but when he gets there, he founds all he's dear ones slain, including his lover Beatrice which apparently has made some kind of agreement with Satan (not sure). Knowing this, Dante decides to go to hell (literally, might I add) and bring back his lover.

Conclusion

If the game is going to be anything like the demo, it's not going to be a utterly awesome game, but it's going to be fun as hell and is going to be worth spending a few hours around.

Dan

Contributor
Thanks. I thought from the start that this game would be bad - no idea why, but now I think otherwise. I'll download it later on :)

Edit: Nevermind. It isn't out in my PS Store, I can't access my American & Japanese accounts because I got the new PS3 and I forgot the usernames. Fail.

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
Thanks :) Glad I could be of help. I need all possible feedback to see what I can do better/did good enough

Trigun

That guy, who Records Music.
Eh, I still want to play this game despite what anyone will say about it. It looks nice.

Sure people will compare always to GoW but GoW is just an over glorified Arcade beat em up with a few puzzles and an actual story. *shrugs*

ChurchedAtheist

Your resident psycho hobo
Im looking forward to it. It looks to be a great game.

Adiuvo

Same here. I've been following it since the first trailer and it definitely looks good. I liked the demo as well, but like Torch said, combos feel a bit clunky.

Adiuvo

EA has been getting better. Activision however seems to have taken their spot as producer of crap.

Abe Froeman

Gamer Dad
Enforcer Team
I finally played this earlier today. I thought it was a solid demo in terms of length and what you would be doing gameplay wise. It felt an awful lot like GoW, but that's not a bad thing.

I'll be grabbing this or at least renting it.

-chw42-

Like a Boss
Mirror's Edge
Dead Space
The Saboteur
Medal Of Honour (Modern)
etc. etc.
EA have no problem coming up with something new

Dead Space and Mirror's Edge are about the only "innovative" games in that bunch.

EDIT: Kinda sucks there's no PC port of this game. :(

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
Dead Space and Mirror's Edge are about the only "innovative" games in that bunch.

EDIT: Kinda sucks there's no PC port of this game. :(

That's because less and less publishers care about the PC, and when they do they make shoddy ports of console games. Valve are one of the few fighting this situation. Also, BioWare's Dragon Age PC version is WAAAAY superior to the console versions.