• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Industry NPD Numbers

Abe Froeman

Gamer Dad
Enforcer Team
October NPD Numbers

Grabbed this article from the frontpage, some might find these numbers interesting. I personally don't, but I would imagine that these will carry over at pretty much the same ratio for November and through the holiday season.

Abe Froeman

Gamer Dad
Enforcer Team
If anyone didn't catch it, Microsoft released a press release yesterday that said the 360 outsold the PS3 at a 3:1 clip over the Black Friday weekend. Believe it or not, I heard this on the Channel 4 NY News last night with Chuck Scarborough, lol.

I searched this morning and also found this: Microsoft: Xbox 360 Outsold PS3 3-to-1 On Black Friday

If it's true, this could be the catalyst for a nice PS3 price drop, but we still need to wait for the November numbers to be released.

user friendly

Sony needs to get aggressive here if they want to maintain any market share this holiday. At $199, I could for sure see 360 outselling PS3 3:1 for on day.

I've heard that the next PS3 price drop may be mid March.

Colm

360 FALLOUT 3 BETHESDA SOFTWORKS Oct-08 3 375K
This depresses me.
See, the thing is, Fallout 3 is an awesome game, and it deserves to be there...
But why is it the 360 version and not the PC version? In January when Bethesda hand over the mod tools to the PC players, the game becomes a LOT more interesting.

Also notable is that high Fable 2 sales figure, I played it and liked it but I know a lot of better games that should have had thoes numbers.

Anyway, these numbers have to be a catalyst for the PS3 price drop, it's going to happen eventually. PS3 was actually outselling the 360 here, but then the 360 price drops rolled in and flattened the PS3, Sony need to be very agressive to take Microsoft's position in a console war they're clearly losing.

NeilR

eXo Admin
Enforcer Team
Well Sony does have a PS visa card promotion going till the end of the year; $150 US discount @ SonyRewards online, Sony Style store or SonyStyle online - not including tax or shipping and handling fees. It's conceivable that this price point could be an indication of things to come.

Abe Froeman

Gamer Dad
Enforcer Team
PS3 price drop has to happen soon, they were crushed this past month, while the Wii keeps on demolishing everything in sight.

PlayStation 2 206K
PlayStation 3 378K
PSP 421K
Xbox 360 836K
Wii 2.04mil
Nintendo DS 1.57mil

Top 10 SKU

Adiuvo

The PS3 was crushed in October as well.

Sony keeps on saying that they aren't going to drop the price, but at this point it's just ridiculous if they don't. No chance of winning the holidays otherwise.

Noriyuke

Holy crap, I'm amazed the DS and Wii are doing as well as they are in console sales. I used to always think after the game cube they weren't going to amount to anything, but the game boy advance and now the DS kept them afloat long enough to come back into the game! I'm proud of nintendo.

And im also amazed at the game sales of gears of war 2 and call of duty, well not so much call of duty, that was expected. But that kinda shows me how the major consoles can have low console sales and retain profits through the amazing software.

Seth

MD Party Room
While I do agree that a 300 price point would be really nice..I really dont see that really helping...Also I fear it far to late for a price drop this holiday season..

Moose

Meta Moose
I like it how instead of decreasing the price,

they made a new bundle that costs $115 more with a bigger hard drive nobody needs.

Sony don't understand that some people prefer to pay less and expect to get less... even if that be a smaller HDD.

Seth

MD Party Room
Yea but they kept the price point the same..

Adiuvo

While I do agree that a 300 price point would be really nice..I really dont see that really helping...Also I fear it far to late for a price drop this holiday season..

I think a drop could still help. People get alot of gift cards on Christmas to electronic stores, and those could be used for a PS3 if the price drops somewhat.

twelve

I'm not dead
Didn't you hear that Sony did drop the price in the UK? Just no one noticed because the actual price of it didn't change.

They've raised the price of all their other electricals due to the current Yen to Pound exchange rate being poor for them, but they didn't raise the price of the PS3. So they do have a tiny amount of sense left, Home hasn't pushed them entirely over the edge yet.

Including a bluray drive may have seemed like a smart idea at the time but what they need to be doing is some really aggressive marketing of it, otherwise the format as well as the console are doomed. Microsoft's 360 marketing is very aggresive (over here at least) it's to the point where they're advertising multi platform games as well as their exclusives. There isn't an hour goes by where there isn't an advert for a game on the TV followed by "Available on Xbox 360 from

Sullivan

What I see sony doing, is doing more bundles this holiday season.

EX: PS3 with games, controller, and psn credit.

Still Sony does need to drop it in price. They wasted money on home, that money should have gone into advertising.

Abe Froeman

Gamer Dad
Enforcer Team
The holiday season is almost over Einstein. If they haven't done any of what you said already, they aren't going to.

Adiuvo

Including a bluray drive may have seemed like a smart idea at the time but what they need to be doing is some really aggressive marketing of it, otherwise the format as well as the console are doomed.

Blu-Ray is far from doomed currently. The format has finally started taking off, with sales going upwards. PS3 sales as Blu-Ray players have went down though, since there are cheap standalone players now.

Article if you want one.

Seth

MD Party Room
YEa once blu-ray players feel down there was really no long a need to buy a ps3 for alot of people...If all there games werent on blu-ray that could have made a cheap 199 ps3 for the rest of the people