• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Industry NPD Numbers

Adiuvo

The drive on the PS3 isn't all of the problem. Other components in it are expensive compared to the 360 as well. It would certainly help the price, but a $200 PS3 seems out of reach.

twelve

I'm not dead
The drive on the PS3 isn't all of the problem. Other components in it are expensive compared to the 360 as well. It would certainly help the price, but a $200 PS3 seems out of reach.
How much is the PS3 atm in the US? because the rrp is still

twelve

I'm not dead
Blu-Ray is far from doomed currently. The format has finally started taking off, with sales going upwards. PS3 sales as Blu-Ray players have went down though, since there are cheap standalone players now.

Article if you want one.
Interesting. Over here blurays cost almost double the price of DVDs and most consumers don't see enough of a difference to justify that. I don't think it's sales of the players that's necessary a problem either. People are tempted by them as they comes with a few films, it's only afterwards that they realise that the films are so much more expensive than DVD.

If we had a crazy shopping day like black friday over here we might see sales jump a lot too. Sales here are never anything like black friday prices. We're lucky to see maybe 10% off.

I suppose it's still pretty early in blurays life to write it off yet. The biggest concern is downloadable HD movies, but at the moment at least people still prefer to have a physical medium so they know they've definitely bought something.
There's mainly two SKU's here now:

1 - $400 - 80 GB unit
2 - $500 - 160 GB - Uncharted - Free Download of Pain
Finally with the exchange rate dropping we're not paying so much more than you. We only have the 80GB here as far as I know and thats the one with the RRP of $450.

Adiuvo

Blu-Rays over here are pretty decently priced. You can get the older ones for around $20 or $15, and the newer ones rarely go past $30. Most are around $25.

user friendly

The PS3 is losing all because of piracry (or the lack of thereof).

I highly doubt that. It's a combination of high price and shitty marketing. I think Sony knew it was going to be like this for the first few years. Putting Blu-ray and the Cell in the PS3 has really made it hard for them to drop the price to a reasonable level.

It cost them most of their console sales in most parts of Asia.

You're really reaching there. I'm sure some haven't bought it yet because of that but I doubt that many are waiting for it to be hacked first.

LocutusEstBorg

You're really reaching there. I'm sure some haven't bought it yet because of that but I doubt that many are waiting for it to be hacked first.

That would include almost the whole gamer population in China, India, etc., including me. I've got all the previous consoles :p

Fortunately here the 2nd hand market for PS3 games is VERY cheap (500-800 Rupees). I had to choose between a PS3 or a new comp, I went with a new PC because the PS3 STILL can't play 1080p movie rips!

user friendly

Software is still legitimately bought in Asia, probably more so than North America. Have you seen last weeks Media Create numbers? Dissidia sold almost 500K in one week on probably the easiest to hack handheld.

Abe Froeman

Gamer Dad
Enforcer Team
Saw this over on Kotaku:

British Console Sales Figures: Wii > 360 > PS3

In a rare act of charity, British sales outfit ChartTrack have teamed up with retailer GAME to provide total lifetime sales figures (ie all sales, not just GAME sales) for this generation of hardware.

And GUESS WHAT? The Wii is on top. Followed by the 360. Followed by the PS3. Shocking, surprising, the works, we know, we know. The figures, as of January 3 2009, are:

Wii - 4.9 million
360 - 3.2 million
PS3 - 1.9 million

Also provided were handheld sales figures.

DS - 8.8 million
PSP - 3.2 million

Abe Froeman

Gamer Dad
Enforcer Team
The December numbers are in:

01. Wii Play (Wii) - 1,460,000
02. Call of Duty: World at War (Xbox 360) - 1,330,000
03. Wii Fit (Wii) - 999,000
04. Mario Kart Wii (Wii) - 979,000
05. Guitar Hero World Tour (Wii) - 850,000
06. Gears of War 2 (Xbox 360) - 745,000
07. Left 4 Dead (Xbox 360) - 629,000
08. Mario Kart DS (DS) - 540,000
09. Call of Duty: World At War (PS3) - 533,000
10. Animal Crossing City Folk (Wii) - 497,000

PlayStation 2 410K
PlayStation 3 726K
PlayStation Portable 1.02 million
Xbox 360 1.44 million
Wii 2.15 million
Nintendo DS 3.04 million

The DS breaks the 3 Million mark, insanity.

December NPD: DS Breaks 3 Million - M for Mature - Video Gaming and Consumer Electronics - News, Reviews, Editorials, and Community Discussion

Seth

MD Party Room
Wii Play really...DO people still need that extra remote..Besides that game been out for a year...It's insane to see a game that high that been out for a year..

Also I find wired that the Ds is selling this much, Dont people know that DSi is coming out? The Ds might out sell the ps2 and the gba...

Joey

I seriously don't understand how the DS still consistently outsells everything... The damn thing has been out since 2004, who doesn't have one yet?

A large amount of people have to be buying more than one, which is just insane.

Additional Comment:
Wii Play really...DO people still need that extra remote..Besides that game been out for a year...It's insane to see a game that high that been out for a year..

Also I find wired that the Ds is selling this much, Dont people know that DSi is coming out? The Ds might out sell the ps2 and the gba...

Most people don't know, but even more people probably don't care...

Abe Froeman

Gamer Dad
Enforcer Team
I seriously don't understand how the DS still consistently outsells everything... The damn thing has been out since 2004, who doesn't have one yet?

A large amount of people have to be buying more than one, which is just insane.

Kids under the age of 10 man. My nephew got one two x-mas's when he was five, and this past x-mas, his younger brother got one at like.

Kids play the DS non-stop and bring it everywhere with them.

Seth

MD Party Room
I had to go threw 2 as well....I like my sisters played it more than me...Up until I got disgaea and changed the color from white to black..Besides you can get them for less than 90 bucks... Making it cheaper than a psp ,dvd player,Ipod,or any other crap you can think of...TO keep kids busy..

_Syn

Outrageous Sony, just fucking outrageous. $500 + tax for a 120GB with Uncharted? I got my PS3 for $300 + tax, which was the 80GB version with Motorstorm, and I'd rather buy a 500GB HDD (~$50-$100) then buy Uncharted. It still will end up cheaper than the $500 price tag on the 120GB PS3. You have a knack for ripping off customers don't you?