• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

iPhone "4G" Lost and Retrieved, Not by Apple Though

Spiros

Maiki
Read the article on Gizmodo earlier today, Looks amazing, at first glance I thought "oh no!", but the more I look at it, the more I like the design. I don't have an iPhone but I have been waiting for the next generation to be released to get one.

Best thing for me is that front facing camera. But I'd love to know if they went with that 1GHz processor they used in the iPad...I would expect they did, with the higher resolution and the new features, I guess they'd need a stronger cpu.

Definitely looking forward to my contract ending in November.

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
I'm just not a fan of how Gizmodo is flashing around this iPhone that they know doesn't belong to them...Sure they should report on it since they are a news site, but the whole manner surrounding its apperance and how they "unveiled" it is just them looking for attention

Sousanator

Shockingly Delicious
I'm glad I didn't replace my 3G with the 3GS. This design looks far better and is what should have been the 3GS. The only thing I don't like is the SIM slot on the side where my hands are always going to be around. This means gunk will fill the cracks over time which creeps me out.

There may be other phones that are more powerful, can take better pictures, have better battery life, ect, but what those other phones don't have is great third party developer support. There is an app for everything I want to do with my phone (at least after jail-braking), but my 3G is getting too slow and running out of memory that I need an upgrade.

Come June/July as long as I have a job, I will be upgrading despite my hate for Apple if this really is the 4G

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
Looks like Gizmodo did indeed buy the lost iPhone off of the person who found it (who at the time was trying his best to return it but was getting the cold shoulder from Apple apparently). Either way, this was just a greedy move by Gizmodo and now I'm not such a big fan

TeamOverload

Looks like Gizmodo did indeed buy the lost iPhone off of the person who found it (who at the time was trying his best to return it but was getting the cold shoulder from Apple apparently). Either way, this was just a greedy move by Gizmodo and now I'm not such a big fan

I doubt Apple would really give anybody the cold shoulder who was trying to return a phone that they would very well want back granted this isn't just one great big intentional leak. I wouldn't call it greedy. Journalists and news corporations pay for exclusive news all the time, this is really nothing new.

Seth

MD Party Room
OK some are saying this was phone was stolen some say it was found on a bar floor also like Forzen said they did buy the Iphone " 4g" for 10 grand !

<From the other thread>

Hellcat said:
The more I use it, the more I envy other Smartphones that actually make use of their HW and DO have all-day features.

What good is BT if it doesn't get used?
Wow, multitasking YEARS after everyone else did.
No mass storage function....

The list goes on and on and on....

And yes, I AM selling it to get a new phone full of usable features.

Problem is, Apple is locking down their stuff way too much.

My iPhone is far from incompetent. While I'll admit, I'm am not using it in a business environment, it does everything I could ask it to.

In all fairness however, I do agree with your statement that Apple's overbearing control is holding it back. The iPhone is half a device without it being Jailbroken.

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
I doubt Apple would really give anybody the cold shoulder who was trying to return a phone that they would very well want back granted this isn't just one great big intentional leak. I wouldn't call it greedy. Journalists and news corporations pay for exclusive news all the time, this is really nothing new.

Well the problem is the consumer level support is not aware of the prototypes out in the wild nor were they made aware of this lost iPhone, so they just dismissed it as a prank I'm assuming.

TeamOverload

Yeah, gotcha, I saw that after reading the new set of Gizmodo articles they published. Well the phone should be heading back to Apple soon anyways, so it's all good. No real harm done.

Bran

Yell
I'm sure you'll take it to be a judge of my character but I'd totally keep that fucking phone if I found it.

Chathurga

Yeah, gotcha, I saw that after reading the new set of Gizmodo articles they published. Well the phone should be heading back to Apple soon anyways, so it's all good. No real harm done.

Are you serious? Giz painted the guy who lost the phone as a drunk idiot, did they really need to post all the information about him?

I guess Apple brings out the douche in people.

Riorio99

Seems like a planned publicity stunt to me, not that Apple really needs any publicity for a new, sleeker iPhone, the entire happening just smacks of publicity stunt.

Either way, the iPhone G4 (HD?) is one of the prettiest looking devices I've seen in a long time, and I'm actually tempted to buy one now.

TeamOverload

Are you serious? Giz painted the guy who lost the phone as a drunk idiot, did they really need to post all the information about him?

I guess Apple brings out the douche in people.

They did no such thing. They said he was out drinking to celebrate his birthday. They specifically made mention that the guy seemed innocent, and that Apple shouldn't blame or get upset with him. I guess to each his own, how they interpret the articles, but all in all, I really don't think Gizmodo attacked him how you claimed.

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
They did no such thing. They said he was out drinking to celebrate his birthday. They specifically made mention that the guy seemed innocent, and that Apple shouldn't blame or get upset with him. I guess to each his own, how they interpret the articles, but all in all, I really don't think Gizmodo attacked him how you claimed.

I'd argue they did, at first. When the article initially went live it gave the impression that he was an irresponsible guy who heads out to the bar each night and gets silly drunk. Later, Gizmodo added in that it was his birthday.

The update markings are still there, at least they aren't trying to cover it up. They've loosened up their tone a bit when talking about him in more recent articles as well.

Anyway, at least he still has a job at Apple. Though I'd wager if it was anyone of lesser importance they would fire them on the spot. As a software engineer, he's not as expendable.

NoEffex

Seth's On A Boat.
If that thing can be jailbroken it looks like it'd be a good change (It looks like it can take more of a beating, as one of the largest flaws of all the iPhones and Touch's is they break EXTREMELY easy. I've even heard of them break just from temperature changes and humidity and such).

Spiros

Maiki
If that thing can be jailbroken it looks like it'd be a good change (It looks like it can take more of a beating, as one of the largest flaws of all the iPhones and Touch's is they break EXTREMELY easy. I've even heard of them break just from temperature changes and humidity and such).

I always thought they were tough. I never got an iPhone but I have an old iPod 5g(I think that was it) 80GB, I dropped it loads, even once completely submerged it in a disgusting puddle, it was in there for like a second or two and I pulled it out and it worked right away no problems at all. I always figured that because they used the same metal backing that it would be a really tough device.

Also, wouldn't the plastic backplate apple's using for this version make it weaker? That's the only concern I have about it's integrity.