• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.
  • If your profile is showing up as Not Ranked, please review our rules page and follow the appeal process detailed there.

IRC

january39

eXo Staff
Thanks Menace, i'll check it out. Got work now so will be later.

mortalinstincts

eXophase Staff
Well, since Menace has given u guys a good tutorial and starter, i just personally wanted to suggest the following things (as i was a lso new to IRC a few weeks back ;) ) :

Use ICEchat (It is more noob-friendly than xchat or any other client i have used till now)

Connect to server irc.dark-alex.org on port 6667 (this is the default port for most IRCs)

Register your nick if you plan to come regularly
i dont remember the exact command, but google should help you out ;)

then connect to the following channels (which i find useful):
#sceners-en
#rss

and thats just about all u need to get started ;)

january39

eXo Staff
Register your nick if you plan to come regularly
i dont remember the exact command, but google should help you out ;)

)

Right, i got IRC, channels all on etc. But how do i register the nick? do you mean i need to google that & get a command to do so? It seems to be unique to each IRC client. Im not sure if the server or the client i need to register the nick with??
lmao
Our IRC channel is on the same network as MforMature, both of which are on malloc.us
Admittedly, the MforMature channel gets a lot more traffic but I think that's cause a lot of Exophase users congregate on that channel too since we all play tf2 and other stuff happens

So if i add malloc.us as a channel, i will find most exophase users there?

Thanks for the help guys

MenaceInc

Staff Member
Right, i got IRC, channels all on etc. But how do i register the nick? do you mean i need to google that & get a command to do so? It seems to be unique to each IRC client. Im not sure if the server or the client i need to register the nick with??

So if i add malloc.us as a channel, i will find most exophase users there?

Thanks for the help guys

irc.malloc.us is the network
#mformature, #eXo and #wtf are a few of the channels on the network

if you think of irc.malloc.us being the server then each channel is running on the server

not sure about the nick but it should be client independant and be able to login with any client

it's just ensuring noone can use your nick without you knowing

most clients you should be able to define a default nick though so you don't NEED to reg a nick but some people would really recommend it
I don't have a registered nick so someone could impersonate me if they wanted...then again, people could tell if it wasn't me by looking at the user info

mortalinstincts

eXophase Staff
/msg nickserv REGISTER <choose a password - do not use your ICQ password>

Setting KILL on

Now that you have registered your password you will need to protect it so that no one else can use it. To do that you must set KILL on. When you do that nickserve will demand a password from anyone trying to use that nick. If they do not supply the password you registered the nick with then nickserv will not allow them to use that nick.

type the following command on a new line then hit your ENTER key, do not include the brackets < >

/msg nickserv SET kill on

Identify:

Occasionally nickserv will require you to identify yourself with your password. You will be given 60 seconds in which to respond with your password or else nickserv will change your name to guest To identify yourself:

type the following command on a new line then hit your ENTER key, do not include the brackets < >

/msg nickserv IDENTIFY <your password>

http://www.thealders.net/IRC/nickserv.html

january39

eXo Staff
I give up, it will not have it. used those instructions word for word and no joy.

:crying:

mortalinstincts

eXophase Staff
which IRC are you?
if you are on irc.dark-alex.org go to #help channel or PM one of the online admins... they will help you register. Thats what i did.

january39

eXo Staff
which IRC are you?
if you are on irc.dark-alex.org go to #help channel or PM one of the online admins... they will help you register. Thats what i did.

I am on the dark alex.org, thanks for the advice mortal :wink:

[07:13] ->> You joined channel #exo
[07:13] ->> Topic is: Exophase.com IRC Chatroom!
[07:13] ->> Topic set by Wally on 02/03/2009 08:03:50
[07:13] ->> 8X.147.158.XX resolved to 8X.147.158.XXX
[07:13] ->> Channel Modes are: +ntrSCTfj [7c#C15,20j#R10,30k#K10,40m#m10,10n#N15]:15 3:20
[07:13] ->> Channel created on 08/11/2007 01:02:26

It cant resolve my hostname, and so uses my IP address, is this normal??