• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

New to PSP? Got Questions? Then Look Here First for Answers

january39

eXo Staff
Depends what psp model you have really - phat or slim (lower than TA-088v3 motherboard) you need to switch to CFW. He upgraded you back to OFW.

If you have a 3000 or the newer slims - bad luck your stuck on OFW.

That said, you should have the original UMD?

Player863

m33 user
Great guide. Maybe the n00bs will shut up about "how do I do this?" and "my PSP did this." and all that. But then again, <sigh> maybe not...

january39

eXo Staff
That's what it was meant for, basic stuff but generally the most asked for.

easy

I posted my own thread, thought this was to ask questions, seems like it's just a faq topic

Hello,

I am new to to this and need some guidance, I've read through a few guides for the last hour or so but don't know where to start.

I have the PSP fat version with original firmware version 1.50.

This is what I want to do before I get started:
--Play homebrew emulators (nes) and a backup ISO

I have a couple questions first.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A question before I get started, should I get a pandora battery and magic memory stick created before I try any of this?
I don't have access to someone elses PSP to do it in case things go wrong. It looks like I can do the magic MS thing on the pc and buy an actual pandora battery, am I able to skip this until a potential brick?​

It also must be a Pro-duo and in size terms no smaller than 512mb, cards of 4gb can be used although (in my view only) can be a waste of space. I have 3 or 4 MS, with my regular 'Gaming' stick being 8gb.

1. Does a magic memory stick need to be different than the one I use to play games?

2. When I go to game>triangle>information it doesn't even mention the word magicgate at all on the 256mb MS I use just capacity/used; wouldn't it at least state not supported/unknown if it was fake? I bought it from Wal-Mart.

3. Another guide says "Memory Stick Pro Duo with at least 128MB of space" to create a magic ms , why do I 512+?

4. I know I need another MS to get an ISO onto one. Just curious if I need to buy two if the 256 one I have now cannot be a magic MS and if I need my gaming/magic MS sticks to be separate. What brand should I get? 1-2gb will be plenty, I'll just be deleting ISO after I'm done with it.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am confused by all the custom firmware; m33, gen-, HEN, CFW, and iso loaders.​

Whats the first step? I understand I need to install a custom firmware, do I do this first? Which one is better? I'm confused.

If CFM is first, then what do I install next?

Adiuvo

Upgrading to 5.50 GEN-D would be the easiest first step to take, and then from there to create a Pandora battery. Follow this guide to learn how to upgrade from 1.50.

After that, follow this guide to create the Pandora battery and memory stick.

cutic

....pls am new here and new in this psp stuf..i have psp 2000 slim wit ofw 3.09,i hackd it to cfw 5.03 den i did the chickhen proceedure sucessful and i checkd my system information 2confirm it,and it was version 5.03 chickHEN R2..BuT stil didnt see gamex i put in Memory stick..pls is it posible to uprade from 5.03 to 5.50 GEN-D3 striaght away? Course datz what a friend is usin and the gamez in the memory are workin fine pls help or what is the best version you will advise me to upgrade to straight