• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

PS3 Other OS supported in PS3 Slim Geohot

Hellcat

Contributor
Does anyone have any guesses to how he`s able to update without opening the ps3, did he find another software exploit? and anyone know what a PUP file is?
nevermind, quick google search says it's the PS3 update's file format(duh) but also an executable format for Puppy linux.
Playstation UPdate => PUP

The format got figured out long ago, he's not adding "own" content but only mixing existing Sony content from dif. updaters to have 3.21 "on top" and 3.15 (with OtherOS) "below".

So you just stick this PUP file on a USB device and bam a firmware with otherOS? wtf.

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
So you just stick this PUP file on a USB device and bam a firmware with otherOS? wtf.

yup, that's basically it :p Why do you think Sony feared the OtherOS hack? xD

RoBz

sucker
So could it be possible that we could keep on doing this? Like for example, the 3.30 top with the 3.15 other os bottom?
Or could sony change up their shit?

Dan

Contributor
I don't understand how it works so easily. Shouldn't it be signed?

If he does have keys, then bravo sir.

Hellcat

Contributor
I don't understand how it works so easily. Shouldn't it be signed?
Yeah, there is some signing involved and he indeed has a key (that soon will be invalidated, I'd guess) to make the .PUP work.
However, it's only a "small" key making an assembled .PUP consisting of signed Sony stuff work.
By no means this would allow for unofficial things to be ran (i.e. signing stuff ourselfs), the actual contents of the .PUP are untouched, Sony signed things.

So could it be possible that we could keep on doing this? Like for example, the 3.30 top with the 3.15 other os bottom?
Or could sony change up their shit?
Time will tell, but it's unlikely this will work forever.
At one point there will be changes to the kernel diallowing a "mix up" like this.

KezraPlanes

Just some dood

Spiros

Maiki
So, geohot basically has just taken 3.21 and replaced some modules with 3.15 ones? I suddenly have less faith in this cfw. If this is how he intends to build his cfw, I see how he believes it won't open the door to piracy, but it also won't open the door to homebrew, but then again that isn't his intention.

anyway, this is just the very beginning. I'm assuming there is way more to come from this hack.

Hellcat

Contributor
So, geohot basically has just taken 3.21 and replaced some modules with 3.15 ones? I suddenly have less faith in this cfw. If this is how he intends to build his cfw, I see how he believes it won't open the door to piracy, but it also won't open the door to homebrew, but then again that isn't his intention.

anyway, this is just the very beginning. I'm assuming there is way more to come from this hack.
Basically.... "yes", "yes", "yes", "right" and "likely"....

But, in all fairness, this was also how the PSP's CFW emerged, mixing up firmware modules to make one that worked right.

IIRC, the PS3 has a Dual-NAND system, so if one firmware (your CFW) borks, it should fall back on the good other NAND firmware.

EDIT: DAMMIT, Ninja'd by Hellcat.

Spiros

Maiki
But, in all fairness, this was also how the PSP's CFW emerged, mixing up firmware modules to make one that worked right.

I get that, but from what I've read in this thread my understanding is, geohot can mix and match the official firmware modules because they're already signed by Sony, but he can't add any custom modules(so no homebrew goodness).

So, any CFW that would need to be installed this way(the official way), would not contain anything other than what Sony has already officially released. Then, the only other feature that could be added this way is maybe PS2 software emulation(which would be great), as it was present in early firmware versions, right?

IIRC, the PS3 has a Dual-NAND system, so if one firmware (your CFW) borks, it should fall back on the good other NAND firmware.

Hadn't heard that before, great to have insurance like that though when messing around with the NAND.

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
What I've been noticing is that there are just as many people hating on George for this as there are hating on Sony. They were smart in "blaming" him for the removal of OtherOS

Dan

Contributor
Hadn't heard that before, great to have insurance like that though when messing around with the NAND.

I think Sony originally stated that it was due to power cuts whilst updating.

Kez said:
What I've been noticing is that there are just as many people hating on George for this as there are hating on Sony. They were smart in "blaming" him for the removal of OtherOS

People suck.

KezraPlanes

Just some dood

People suck.

People are stupid. But I agree with you...

Spiros

Maiki

You mean, Sony stated the PS3 had a dual-NAND when talking about bricks due to power cuts when updating the console?

Not being a smartass... Just curious.

I get that, but from what I've read in this thread my understanding is, geohot can mix and match the official firmware modules because they're already signed by Sony, but he can't add any custom modules(so no homebrew goodness).

So, any CFW that would need to be installed this way(the official way), would not contain anything other than what Sony has already officially released. Then, the only other feature that could be added this way is maybe PS2 software emulation(which would be great), as it was present in early firmware versions, right?

This is where I'm confused as well. Changing the firmware package in any way would void the encryption, even if it is done with Sony modules.