• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

PS3 PS3 hacked by Geohot

NoEffex

Seth's On A Boat.
i would assume this will take forever and a day to get it started seeing how since Sony is (or soon will be) aware of, they will start looking into every possible angle and patch it via firmware, thus making the hacker have to keep up and see if his methods are still possible (my assumption of course)

He's using hardware to find software exploits, if I'm correct.

Sony can't patch the hardware he's using..

Cloudy

Just thought I'd mention off topic that ps3shits are at it again. Posting rumour and deliberately misinterpreting comments to their own ends. I politely pointed out that geohots quote didn't mean that his hack requires otheros - just that unsigned code is possible through it, and Daniel Serifin (real name of site owner) deleted my post and gave me -40 rep. Way to counter arguements.

Anyway, rant over. Message: ps3shits is as useful as a chocolate teapot and as corrupt as the Chinese government.

NoEffex

Seth's On A Boat.
Just thought I'd mention off topic that ps3shits are at it again. Posting rumour and deliberately misinterpreting comments to their own ends. I politely pointed out that geohots quote didn't mean that his hack requires otheros - just that unsigned code is possible through it, and Daniel Serifin (real name of site owner) deleted my post and gave me -40 rep. Way to counter arguements.

Anyway, rant over. Message: ps3shits is as useful as a chocolate teapot and as corrupt as the Chinese government.

Wasn't that dude the reason that DAX started using encryption on his CFW installers?

i would assume this will take forever and a day to get it started seeing how since Sony is (or soon will be) aware of, they will start looking into every possible angle and patch it via firmware, thus making the hacker have to keep up and see if his methods are still possible (my assumption of course)

When he does find a software exploit and releases it, the Sony would patch it that way. There's no point in wasting time and money looking for a hole when it will most likely be revealed in due time.

GrayFox

The PS3 has had three years without any type of piracy. Compare that to the other two consoles. And your point is because he opened the door (if, indeed anything does come of this) to homebrew, that he is responsible for any piracy that comes of it.
Spot on.

Like anything, homebrew can be used for good, and for bad. And you stating that he should use his skills for other uses - how do you know that he doesn't? You know nothing of his personal life and chances are is that he is employed to do this kind of stuff (or other low level hardware things) on a commercial basis.

You're right I don't know him... your right it can be used for good or bad. I would bet my money that most people interested have their hearts set on bad, that's human nature- to deceive. The legit people will find a way if they want to, the illegitimate will wait for a naive person to give them what they need to deceive others.

oh and by the way the president of Iran didn't cheat to get the seat, Hitler just wanted to be friends, Obama isn't doing everything he can to violate our constitutional liberties, Leo Szilard (I believe) is definitely not even remotely responsible for Nuclear Weapons, World War 2 never happened, bunnies around every corner and flowers for all!!!

He has no reason to release this info to the masses except for a few reasons. One, to increase his rep and boost his ego; two, because he's that frakkin' naive; or three, he knows exactly what will come of it and doesn't really care as long as he can convince himself whatever people do with his hack isn't his problem... illegal or not.
All illegal piracy will lead directly back to his hack of the PS3 no matter how you try to convince yourself otherwise. (A thief will wait for you to leave your door open before he robs you blind, or make his own way in if he's that desperate.)
This compromise will be the reason piracy starts on the PS3. And the reason it killed the PSP.
So please, don't tar everyone with the same brush and assume he is not "legit". He has stated that he has no interest in an ISO loader himself
Of course!!! If he pawns off ISO loader to someone else he rids himself of guilt, and legality-ish. That is the only reason he has no interest.

You claim that even if he opened the window set up the gun drew a map and detailed the proper time for the assassination he can sleep better knowing "he didn't technically pull the trigger."

If he didn't make the hack, someone else would in time- true. If he really didn't support piracy he wouldn't give it out like hot-cakes.

El Diablo

FANJITA IS RESPONSIBLE FOR PIRACY ON THE PSP OMGZ. Smith and Wesson are also responsible for every shooting that might have occurred with their guns, right? Just because someone unlocks the system does not make them solely responsible for what other people decide to come up with out of it and do with it.

Also, BBC News - PlayStation 3 'hacked' by iPhone cracker

El Diablo

Didn't see that one coming.

ChurchedAtheist

Your resident psycho hobo
"If you have a slim and are complaining this hack won't work for you, stop reading now."

does that mean it doesn't work on the slim?

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor

Lachrymose

smokeMeth();
marcan's Twitter said:
Yay, typical @geohot: "I have no clue what to do with this whatsoever, so I'll release it and take credit for anything anyone does with it".

I do agree that Geohot started something that was a bit beyond him which probably requires a team of master hackers to complete. Hopefully someone will pick off where he left off. Also, the exploit requires extra hardware fyi.

I wish he would just post the damn dumps on a torrent or something, to make it easier for people to research it.

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor

TeamOverload

I don't think he's giving up at all. I think the point of releasing was his method of expressing that he does need help from the community in order for anything concrete to come from this. He can't keep dedicated all his time and resources into it, so with the help of others, what was once thought to be unachievable could very well be within reach now.