• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

PS3 Ps3 problem :(

Adiuvo

Not very much. It's pretty much the only failure PS3 owners get unless their drive dies.

chrono6456

Start here (if you have the YLOD) if you don't want to spend the cash or loose your data. I'll be doing this if mine ever goes again.

I can vouch for this as I have personally attempted this fix on 3 PS3's.

For the first two, the fix worked for about a week or less. Te third PS3 I attempted it on was my friends, which ended up getting the YLOD the day after his warranty had expired, and he had a netflix game stuck in the drive, so he asked me to try and attempt to at least get the game out.

It took two tries with the heat gun, but I did manage to bring the PS3 back to life, and I haven't heard from him since that it has broken again. That was about 2 months ago now.

My advice is not to spend as much time on the chips with the heat gun as shown in the youtube video (there is even one video by someone else, I believe, that shows them heating the CPU and GPU until flux starts bubbling from underneath it, which is very bad). I would spend only 30 seconds max on a single chip at one time, and would still do both top and bottom for both chips after allowing a cooling session in between both top sides or both bottom sides.

Looking back now on the first 2 PS3's I tried this on, I only spent about 10 seconds on each chip with a heat gun, as I was still nervous for what I was doing. I think if I had spend 20 - 30 seconds, the PS3's may have been fixed for a longer time, if not permanently.

For the person asking how widespread the problem is, in my opinion, it seems it is actually quite significant for the first gen 20gb and 60gb ps3's. From browsing the web, and from personal investigation, it seems these two models, along with some early 40gb models, had an old style heat sink with a less efficient fan. I would say no where near the xbox 360's failure rates for these models, but I wouldn't be surprised if its in the double digits, percentage wise.

How widespread is this yellow light problem.

The YLOD was more frequent in the launch models, ie the ones with the EE & PS2 Backwards Compatibility. The newer 40GB (now 80GB) units have a supposed 0.01% rate of getting the YLOD. My YLOD was with a 40GB, so I would take that number is a bit dubious. I can't remember the source for that number, i'm afraid.

tldr: Newer Model = Lower Failure Rate.

Vee

Drive failure is far more common but of course watchdog latched onto the YLOD and blew it out of proportion.

Thats what i thought, untill it happened to me.

I'm fucking furious that Sony expects me to pay for something thats clearly a hardware flaw. There are no two ways about it, if people having problems with the original 60GB, left right and center, then i shouldn't be having to pay for it to be repaired.

I know 3/4 friends with original 60GB's, have had this happen to them.

user friendly

It sucks yeah but I had to do it 3 times (only paid once though). My original launch 60GB got the YLOD and my replacement's Blu-ray drive died then my 2nd replacement was just too loud and I asked for a quieter model, got to test it out at the service center. I'm on my 4th unit and if I ever get the YLOD again, I'll definitely be trying out the fix, even if it doesn't last, I'll be able to back my data up. Ima backin' my shit up tonight, too many HD movies transferred over via PMS to do that again.

nicodemus82

**The Welsh Guy**
well, I've had mine since launch day and never had any problems before..happened quite suddenly. just took it today to a game shop up the road from me.. should be fixed either later this evening or by tomorrow and it's costing me $79 with 3 months warranty. also not gonna lose any HDD content so I'm happy :) if anything happens again I'm just gonna sell it and get a PS3 slim...

Adiuvo

Mine has been working quite well since around a month after launch day. The fan got louder, but I assume that's because of dust starting to build up inside. I may take it apart in a few days to clean it, since the warranty is long gone.

Abe Froeman

Gamer Dad
Enforcer Team
I'm backing mine up as I type this. All this talk about failure has me feeling like I'm on borrowed time with my 60GB.

twelve

I'm not dead
Thats what i thought, untill it happened to me.

I'm fucking furious that Sony expects me to pay for something thats clearly a hardware flaw. There are no two ways about it, if people having problems with the original 60GB, left right and center, then i shouldn't be having to pay for it to be repaired.

I know 3/4 friends with original 60GB's, have had this happen to them.
Hardware problem or not it's well outside of the 1 year warranty, which is all Sony need to honour. You can buy an extended warranty at the point of sale but if you chose not to do that then that's your problem and crying about it now wont change anything.

I don't see why you or watchdog think that because it's a hardware failure that it should be repaired for free. That hardware was only guaranteed to work for 1 year. Luckily for most people their hardware has lasted beyond that.

twelve

I'm not dead
I'm backing mine up as I type this. All this talk about failure has me feeling like I'm on borrowed time with my 60GB.
No point running the backup from System Settings. You can only restore that onto the same console. If your console gets replaced you wont be able to restore from that.

I just manually back up my saves every now and then (when I remember) as they're the only things that can't be replaced onto a new console (PSN games can be redownloaded, game data reinstalled, music transferred back onto it etc).

Abe Froeman

Gamer Dad
Enforcer Team
No point running the backup from System Settings. You can only restore that onto the same console. If your console gets replaced you wont be able to restore from that.

I just manually back up my saves every now and then (when I remember) as they're the only things that can't be replaced onto a new console (PSN games can be redownloaded, game data reinstalled, music transferred back onto it etc).

Didn't know that, but backing it up gave me the motivation to go out tomorrow and finally get a bigger hardrive. Thanks for the info.

user friendly

Yeah you can. Some stuff can't be backed up like certain gamesaves (Killzone being one of them), PSN games and some copyrighted stuff. Just make sure you deactivate your current system (if it's not YLOD) or haven't shared more than 4 times and all you really need to do is redownload all that stuff.

Biggest problem is redownloading patches and syncing the trophies (this literally can take up to an hour sometimes more depending on how many you have.

So yeah, you keep most of your saves and pretty much everything else, which in my case would be a shit ton of albums ripped to my PS3 and 30 odd HD movies. Pictures is another big thing but those should be backed up elsewhere.

I which you could just take the HDD out of the broken system and put it in the new one.

THIS MAY HELP. (check the 2nd last bullet point)

twelve

I'm not dead
Yeah you can.
Was that changed in a firmware update? Because it definitely didn't work when Terri's 60GB had the bluray laser die.

I still just backup my saves manually. Might well take me longer to get everything else back on if I ever have the console replaced but at least I know I've got the saves somewhere safe.

Edit: looks like it was added way back in 1.60, I just missed it being announced I guess.

user friendly

Was that changed in a firmware update? Because it definitely didn't work when Terri's 60GB had the bluray laser die.

I still just backup my saves manually. Might well take me longer to get everything else back on if I ever have the console replaced but at least I know I've got the saves somewhere safe.

Edit: looks like it was added way back in 1.60, I just missed it being announced I guess.

I had no idea. (think it was 1.30, whatever though)

If all you really care about backing up is game saves, doing it like you are is the quickest.

Vee

I don't see why you or watchdog think that because it's a hardware failure that it should be repaired for free. That hardware was only guaranteed to work for 1 year. Luckily for most people their hardware has lasted beyond that.

So by that logic, every product purchased, should technically only last aslong as its warrenty?

If that were the case, no one would buy televisions, Blu-ray players or computers. Most of those items come with a 1 year warrenty, yet if those items broke a right after the warrenty, then you'd be outright furious.

Honestly, if everyone in the world knew that the original PS3's had a huge design flaw with them, no one would have bought them.

eldiablov

Contributor
Honestly, if everyone in the world knew that the original PS3's had a huge design flaw with them, no one would have bought them.

It's not a huge flaw. It is nowhere near as widespread as the RROD was. You were unlucky, suck it up.