• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

RE5 DirectX 10 Only!

LocutusEstBorg

According to Gamespot who had a hands-on with the PC version today, RE5 will be DirectX 10 only, which means only Vista and 7 are supported.

And its not a scam like Halo 2 and that other crappy Games for Windows Live game, which were really DirectX9 but pretended to require Vista.

This is a native DirectX10 game so there's probably no chance of it being hacked to run on XP.

Its begun....

No way am I blowing 25 grand on Windows 7 x64. End of gaming for me if this continues.

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
About time I say... DirextX 9.0c was outdated a long time ago...

Adiuvo

Yeah, about time. They can't support older hardware forever.

LocutusEstBorg

About time I say... DirextX 9.0c was outdated a long time ago...

Considering that there's virtually ZERO graphical improvement and like 30% performance reduction... Any difference in the DX10 versions of the games so far are marketing gimmicks and fake.

---------- Post added at 02:15 AM EST ---------- Previous post was at 02:14 AM EST ----------

Yeah, about time. They can't support older hardware forever.

I have a DX10 card. The OS costs twice as fucking much as my card! The only screw up with the pre 8-series cards was the HDR are several other *true* hardware limitations. These have all been overcome by the drivers on DX9 with the new cards.

Crysis Warhead DX9 vs DX10 both on Very High is proof enough that its a sham. It may be like rendered with a different kinda effect or whatever. But you can't say which LOOKS better to the player, as thats completely subjective. The DX10 bluish lighting in Crysis looks fake compared to the orangeish evening light in DX9 (with everything set to very high).

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
I'm not into the technical stuff but I can see that you're just making excuses to keep XP... You have the Win 7 RC valid until mid-2010 so why are you complaining?

FYI, Windows 7 is actually faster than XP and makes better use of the resources of new computers. I've tested XP vs. 7 in several computers and 7 always won. Plus, Windows 7 makes better use of the GPU, no matter how weak it is:

Example: on a sucky laptop with an intel GPU, using World of Warcraft as a benchmark between the two, in XP WoW attained 20 FPS max, while Seven got to 30 FPS max. The drivers used were exactly the same.

XP is obsolete no matter how many of you try to hang onto it. I say, move on.

edit: It's been proven over and over again that DX10/10.1 kicks DX9's ass...

Joey

Considering that there's virtually ZERO graphical improvement and like 30% performance reduction... Any difference in the DX10 versions of the games so far are marketing gimmicks and fake.

---------- Post added at 02:15 AM EST ---------- Previous post was at 02:14 AM EST ----------

I have a DX10 card. The OS costs twice as fucking much as my card! The only screw up with the pre 8-series cards was the HDR are several other *true* hardware limitations. These have all been overcome by the drivers on DX9 with the new cards.

Crysis Warhead DX9 vs DX10 both on Very High is proof enough that its a sham. It may be like rendered with a different kinda effect or whatever. But you can't say which LOOKS better to the player, as thats completely subjective. The DX10 bluish lighting in Crysis looks fake compared to the orangeish evening light in DX9 (with everything set to very high).
No game that's out there now is going to be a good example of what DX10 can do, because nobody's had a reason to put in the time or money to fully use it.

Installing new software on your PC isn't a "butifying" switch. You still need people to properly code for it. Crysis came out two years ago, there was no reason for them to go all out with DX10, because 80% of the people trying to play weren't going to have DX10 cards.

You have to make games for the lowest common denominator. You can add in little graphical upgrades on the side, but you can't have anything that changes game play, or otherwise you'll have to basically create two games.

I'd say you're being too harsh. Utill somebody makes a game that's based 100% on the technology, and they don't have to worry about legacy software, then you can judge.

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
Performance difference between DX9 and DX10 on modern cards is negligible. 30% difference maybe would apply when DX10 first came out but that's not the case now.

LocutusEstBorg

I'm not into the technical stuff but I can see that you're just making excuses to keep XP... You have the Win 7 RC valid until mid-2010 so why are you complaining?

FYI, Windows 7 is actually faster than XP and makes better use of the resources of new computers. I've tested XP vs. 7 in several computers and 7 always won. Plus, Windows 7 makes better use of the GPU, no matter how weak it is:

Example: on a sucky laptop with an intel GPU, using World of Warcraft as a benchmark between the two, in XP WoW attained 20 FPS max, while Seven got to 30 FPS max. The drivers used were exactly the same.

XP is obsolete no matter how many of you try to hang onto it. I say, move on.

edit: It's been proven over and over again that DX10/10.1 kicks DX9's ass...

I didn't say a word about XP being better than Vista/7. Its a known fact that both Vista and 7 are miles ahead of XP in general stability and performance.

The problem is unless they really invest the effort to 'do it right', any DX10 game will simply run 30% slower and look the same as DX9 and the Vista/7 requirement is ultimately hogwash.

The second problem is Vista/7 costs 4 times as much as XP. XP Professional was around 6k when it launched and after 10 years its still 5.5k. Vista (and 7 soon will be) is ludicrously overpriced at something close to 25k. And thats for the OEM edition. They're dreaming if they think anyone is going to spend 25k for their OS. People don't even buy whole computers for that much!

The castrated versions of Windows are bullshit and unusable for any sort of networking environment. The only usable versions IMO are Ultimate and Ultimate x64. Considering everyone has 4GB of RAM now days, it boils down to x64.

MenaceInc

Staff Member
I didn't say a word about XP being better than Vista/7. Its a known fact that both Vista and 7 are miles ahead of XP in general stability and performance.

The problem is unless they really invest the effort to 'do it right', any DX10 game will simply run 30% slower and look the same as DX9 and the Vista/7 requirement is ultimately hogwash.

The second problem is Vista/7 costs 4 times as much as XP. XP Professional was around 6k when it launched and after 10 years its still 5.5k. Vista (and 7 soon will be) is ludicrously overpriced at something close to 25k. And thats for the OEM edition. They're dreaming if they think anyone is going to spend 25k for their OS. People don't even buy whole computers for that much!

The castrated versions of Windows are bullshit and unusable for any sort of networking environment. The only usable versions IMO are Ultimate and Ultimate x64. Considering everyone has 4GB of RAM now days, it boils down to x64.

25k for Windows 7?
What currency are we actually talking about here because in sterling Windows 7 is only going to cost

Adiuvo

He's talking about Rupees.

IIRC, Vista is decently cracked now, so I don't see why you just don't pirate it. If the OS costs more than a computer you definitely have a good reason to pirate it.

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
Your computer hardware is above and beyond what most people have so I really don't see why you are complaining. You can't live on DX9 your entire life, learn to move on and don't hate on something when you can't even say how it will perform. This is something that should be expected (DX9 being dropped) and I don't see anything wrong with it.

LocutusEstBorg

Your computer hardware is above and beyond what most people have so I really don't see why you are complaining. You can't live on DX9 your entire life, learn to move on and don't hate on something when you can't even say how it will perform. This is something that should be expected (DX9 being dropped) and I don't see anything wrong with it.

I buy a good computer once in 3 or 4 years. I don't keep spending money on buying things in between. I just got this one recently to replace my old one I bought back in 2004.

I got a legal volume license key for XP x64 back in college since they had the MSDN academic thing where all the students get keys of every Microsoft product for free non-commercial use that they can continue to use even after grad. I would have got a Vista volume key but it requires reactivation every 6 months so its basically useless.

He's talking about Rupees.

IIRC, Vista is decently cracked now, so I don't see why you just don't pirate it. If the OS costs more than a computer you definitely have a good reason to pirate it.

I don't want a pirated OS because I need the updates. Even when I don't update Windows for a few months I find my computer getting hacked via the few ports I keep open for LAN (I run various servers). So genuine Windows is the only way. I don't want to keep updating the crack etc.

The fuck up here is there is no x64 OEM edition available. Vista Ultimate OEM is 14k but x64 Ultimate is only Retail and its 25k.

I can do without one game :p
I don't think many other companies will follow suite so fast anyway...

---------- Post added at 10:43 PM EST ---------- Previous post was at 10:39 PM EST ----------

Thanks, I was about to go insane.

Also, why don't you dual boot Windows 7 RC (ITS FREE!) to test it.

Why would I want an RC? I want a permanent OS that I can update. I already know what its like I have Vista x32 Home Castrated version thats good for nothing.

Bill

DX 9 is on it's way out seeing as Microsoft wants to drop support for XP. If Vista hadn't been socially annihilated by millions of consumers who'd never even seen screen shots of the OS before, DX 10 would be the standard right now, and hardly anything would be coming out on DX 9.

As for the pirated Vista updates: Microsoft loves the Chinese.

afiser

I don't want a pirated OS because I need the updates. Even when I don't update Windows for a few months I find my computer getting hacked via the few ports I keep open for LAN (I run various servers). So genuine Windows is the only way. I don't want to keep updating the crack etc.

fyi, the "crack" used for vista is the same thing computer companies like HP, Dell, ect use to keep their OS's activated. therefore microsoft cannot "fix" it without breaking the activation of all of those computer companies computers.

Afinda

I think you guys hype this DirectX10 thing way to much. Let's just see what it supports when it's out.

If you ask me then Windows 7 is going to be a must for windows users and with it being released the real DirectX10 era will be coming. That's my bet.. as Windows 7 will replace XP just perfectly fine... i think i'm gonna preorder it for 50€..