• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

ROTT v1.01

Chilly Willy

Contributor
Okay, not getting much exposure over at dcemu, so I'll make a post here as well.

This is my update to Deniska's Rise of the Triad for the PSP. I rewrote the video to support SDL and used my new SDL with TV support, so now you can play this on the TV. Since it uses my new SDL, it also has the proper pitch on sounds effects. I changed two controls to make them useful (one wasn't useful at all, and the other did nothing). Be sure to read the readme for all the controls.

This comes with the shareware files and mini-instruments I used with Duke3D. Note that the shareware and registered versions are DIFFERENT EBOOTs! One executable doesn't handle both like with many other games (Doom or Duke3D for instance).

Many thanks to Deniska for his work in getting it converted.

EDIT: You need to replace the sawwave.pat file in the mini directory with the one in the archive. Although they are the same size, the one in the game archive slows the system down when playing. The replacement instrument does not.

Attachments

• ROTT_PSP_v101.zip
    10 MB · Views: 2,306
  • sawwave.zip
    50.2 KB · Views: 303

Richlando

Downloading this now,thanks alot Chilly! Question,is there anything you can't do on the psp? Ever thought of taking a stab at Daedalus?

Chilly Willy

Contributor
The N64 emu? Isn't strmmnekjshiwriutgwihgf (whatever his username is :D ) still working on that?

Got a lot to work on, so I work on things as I feel the urge. Right now, I'm working on OpenAL. OpenAL is one of those things needed for Quake3 and EDuke32.

midnitdragoon

this game skips alot on my psp slim. is this because the port is still being worked on or did i do something wrong?? O_O im using the full version because i have the game.

Chilly Willy

Contributor
You'll notice it only skips on one section of the music - it think that's where the music repeats, so timidity is reloading the music. I'm not sure what to do about that, but I'll look into it. In the meantime, give it a second or two to get past that part of the music, or don't use the music.

Darkchild

The Doctor
chilly willy, I do not know how to use timidity nor if this is possible, but!

can't you do something like:

if (music.length == music.cur_position) {music.setposition = 0;}

??
Probably cheating, but it will probably make timidity NOT load the midi again thus not slowing the game down :3

Chilly Willy

Contributor
Haven't looked at how they handle looped music, but it's probably fairly dumb. After all, it's only MIDI and we're on a 3GHz Quad Core system with 8 GB of DDR2-1066 memory, right? That's half the battle on porting stuff to the PSP - making sure that code meant for 2 GHz or better works decently on a 300 MHz system.

Darkchild

The Doctor
300 or less :p

at 300 it'll consume lots of battery

But, now back to the subject in matter, if you cannot loop it, try to at least make like I did above, I know its stupid, but hey, if it works, who cares? XD

Chilly Willy

Contributor
It's definitely the instruments - if you substitute the TINY instruments in v1.00 in place of the MINI instruments, it doesn't have that issue (it just sounds really crappy :biggrin: ). I'd hate to see it with the BIG instrument package. :crying:

From looking at SDL_mixer, it looks like when you play looping music, mixer keeps mixing until the music is flagged as inactive (done), then if you have it set for looping, it manually restarts the music back at position 0.0. Looking at the timidity music start code, the first thing it does is the load_missing_instruments() function. That goes through the general instruments bank and the percussion bank loading instruments. So it's clearly something to do with loading the instruments. I think that last instrument before the music loops might be so big it's forcing other instruments to be flushed, which then have to reload on the next loop. I'll look into that.

Chilly Willy

Contributor
Okay. it's not so much timidity as one of the instruments. It's not a big instrument (since none of the instruments in the mini set are big), it's a complicated instrument. I tried using the 18 MB instrument set and it plays fine too. Anyone know any good patch editors so we can locate which instrument in the mini set is the problem? I'd like to replace it. The mini set of instruments is GOOD and SMALL, and except for this instrument that just happens to be in the first song in ROTT, is just about perfect as a general set of instruments for the PSP.

EDIT: Found it! Hehehe, damn I'm good!

Replace this instrument in the mini directory. Note that it's EXACTLY the same size, but sounds a little different and doesn't slow the system down. Amazing that such a small file could cause that much trouble.

Attachments

• sawwave.zip
    50.2 KB · Views: 110

Darkchild

The Doctor
It's definitely the instruments - if you substitute the TINY instruments in v1.00 in place of the MINI instruments, it doesn't have that issue (it just sounds really crappy :biggrin: ). I'd hate to see it with the BIG instrument package. :crying:

From looking at SDL_mixer, it looks like when you play looping music, mixer keeps mixing until the music is flagged as inactive (done), then if you have it set for looping, it manually restarts the music back at position 0.0. Looking at the timidity music start code, the first thing it does is the load_missing_instruments() function. That goes through the general instruments bank and the percussion bank loading instruments. So it's clearly something to do with loading the instruments. I think that last instrument before the music loops might be so big it's forcing other instruments to be flushed, which then have to reload on the next loop. I'll look into that.

well, by the looks of it you will have to modify timidity a little bit, best of luck anyways :)

johnny_88

<p>Hey Chilly Willy, thanks for updating!</p>
<p>Just a question about the default key mappings you have made;</p>
<p>I can no longer use the thumb stick to turn right because the key is already assigned to fix the gamma (F11),its annoying when I try to turn that direction and I don't like using the arrow keys, too cramped. Is there any way I can change the gamma key to a different one? So I can go back to using thumb stick?</p>
<p>Hope to hear back from you soon, thanks again!</p>

Chilly Willy

Contributor
<p>Hey Chilly Willy, thanks for updating!</p>
<p>Just a question about the default key mappings you have made;</p>
<p>I can no longer use the thumb stick to turn right because the key is already assigned to fix the gamma (F11),its annoying when I try to turn that direction and I don't like using the arrow keys, too cramped. Is there any way I can change the gamma key to a different one? So I can go back to using thumb stick?</p>
<p>Hope to hear back from you soon, thanks again!</p>

I see what you mean... you can reassign it to right, but because you can't reassign gamma, it tries to do both. Yeah, I'll try to do something about that - I don't like the controls the way they are anyway. I was only looking at minor changes before, but I should probably just completely redo the control layout. Maybe make it like my version of Doom.

Chilly Willy

Contributor
Okay, here's a test for new button controls. It's just the registered eboot, so you can't use this with the shareware files.

I tried to make only minor changes with two exceptions: the analog stick now is the default movement, and holding the SQUARE button (which previously did nothing) gives different keys for certain other buttons.

While not pressing SQUARE:
TRIANGLE = toggle weapon (don't know why I never noticed this before :biggrin: )
CIRCLE = use/open
CROSS = fire
LTRIGGER = strafe left
RTRIGGER = strafe right
DOWN = look/fly down
LEFT = volte-face (turn around)
UP = look/fly up
RIGHT = drop weapon
SELECT = map
START = run

While pressing SQUARE:
DOWN = detail level
UP = change gamma
SELECT = main menu

I'm thinking about adding quick save/load to the SQUARE mappings as SQ+LT/RT, and maybe auto-run as SQ+START.

Attachments

• test1.zip
    1.2 MB · Views: 145

johnny_88

<p>Cool thatd be great! I like the PSP Quake and Doom layout controls cos they're soo comfortable, really like how you can use either of the triggers to fire. Makes it a lot different and spread out.. :)</p>
<p>My game controls for those 3 games go something like this;</p>
<p>eg; Quake</p>
<p>RTRIGGR - Fire
TRIANGLE - Change weapon or, (left and right arrows)
CIRCLE - Jump
Thumb Stick - Move about
SELECT - Menu
CROSS - Select menu option
SQUARE - Console, (auto run on/off for ROTT)
START - Go back previous menu (all 3 games)
UP, DOWN Arrows - Scroll up and down through menus</p>
<p>U can use the brightness button on the PSP to make it brighter, but an in game gamma key in pretty useful too...</p>
<p>Hope to see some changes. Keep up the good work!</p>

tiga

Woah! This game was my first FPS experience. thanks for the memories, Chilly Willy.

Quick question, do you think a port of System Shock 2 is doable on the PSP?