• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Snes9xTYL 0.4.2 ME for Slim!

sszero

hi im kinda new to this and i tried to run the snes9x emu and it opens and everything but when i try to actually run a game it hangs up and just turns off...ive followed all the instructions in the guide but im still getting the same results...by the way im running 3.71 M33-2

sszero

ok im running a psp slim and ive tried to run ff1,2,3 and link to the past then i just gave up cuz i got the same result for each one...i have them all in the zip format

Chilly Willy

Contributor
Well, first, the app should be installed in GAME371. You should not be trying to use old cfg files (if you have any from previous usage of the old emulator). Cart files should be .smc format, and can be zipped.

Beyond that, I suspect bad installation, bad cart files, or interference from something you've added to your firmware. If you use custom themes or icons or plugins, try turning all the stuff/go back to plain cfw, then try it again.

Naddel81

Well, first, the app should be installed in GAME371. You should not be trying to use old cfg files (if you have any from previous usage of the old emulator). Cart files should be .smc format, and can be zipped.

Beyond that, I suspect bad installation, bad cart files, or interference from something you've added to your firmware. If you use custom themes or icons or plugins, try turning all the stuff/go back to plain cfw, then try it again.

Hi Chilly Willi:

First I have to thank you for coding that app for the PSP! I really appreciate it. But I was a bit disappointed when I found out that it does not run as everybody claims (on PSP Slim, CFW 3-71 M33, everything fresh).

I installed everything correctly and I cannot even geht Super Mario World 1 to run really smooth. It has slow downs. Even worse: Mario Kart: Unplayable.
And the performance Killer is Donkey Kong Country (3).

I tried all different hacks/setups and configurations, but nothing seems to help. I think this is normal.
Please tell me when there's a proper release coming that plays most of the games at 100% without frame skipping. I think the PSP is powerful enough, ain't it?

Greetings,

Naddel

Ginko

Hmm - Doesn't seem to be working!

Want to start this off by saying thanks for working on this, it's pretty bangin' to have someone of your coding caliber working on the PSP, and bringing SNES9x to it at that. Working on moving 1.51 should bring a ton of welcome updates and changes.

Now, my SNES9xTYL for the slim does not boot up.

I'm currently running CFW 3.60 M33 on my Ceramic White Slim, Vanilla Install.

I throw it in to the Game folder, no issues, and boot it up to run.

It runs the boot up screen with Mario, then proceeds to run the blue text screen that credits appropriate parties for their work.

Right after this goes away, a popup happens that asks "Exit SNES9XTYL ?" O - OK, X - CANCEL. If I push cancel, it simply pops up again. This happens no matter how many times I push X. Pushing O does exit the emulator, it boots down my PSP.

Should I be upgrading to 3.70 or 3.80? Or did I forget something in the readme, or is this a bug?

If I was to upgrade, was this firmware developed on 3.70? I don't particularly desire to upgrade to 3.80 yet.

Thanks in advance, keep up the good work!

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
Want to start this off by saying thanks for working on this, it's pretty bangin' to have someone of your coding caliber working on the PSP, and bringing SNES9x to it at that. Working on moving 1.51 should bring a ton of welcome updates and changes.

Now, my SNES9xTYL for the slim does not boot up.

I'm currently running CFW 3.60 M33 on my Ceramic White Slim, Vanilla Install.

I throw it in to the Game folder, no issues, and boot it up to run.

It runs the boot up screen with Mario, then proceeds to run the blue text screen that credits appropriate parties for their work.

Right after this goes away, a popup happens that asks "Exit SNES9XTYL ?" O - OK, X - CANCEL. If I push cancel, it simply pops up again. This happens no matter how many times I push X. Pushing O does exit the emulator, it boots down my PSP.

Should I be upgrading to 3.70 or 3.80? Or did I forget something in the readme, or is this a bug?

If I was to upgrade, was this firmware developed on 3.70? I don't particularly desire to upgrade to 3.80 yet.

Thanks in advance, keep up the good work!

Yes - you need to upgrade to firmware 3.71 M33 in order for this work. It'll also work on 3.80 M33.

Chilly Willy

Contributor
Please tell me when there's a proper release coming that plays most of the games at 100% without frame skipping. I think the PSP is powerful enough, ain't it?

Right now, the only way to get 100% speed is with speedhacks. The emulator would need to be rewritten from scratch as mostly assembly to get 100% speed without hacking the games themselves. That's mostly what ZSNES did for the x86. SNES9x is more popular now that PCs are fast enough to not need assembly. The PSP is not - it needs an assembly core, or a dynamic recompiler, and/or speedhacks. The snesadvance.dat file has the speedhacks used by the emulator. There's a thread on MaxConsole where they give different versions with hacks for various games. If someone here knows enough about this, they might want to start a thread here maintaining a speedhack file.

AznSaiyan

if i wanted to play mario all stars from snes okay it start the game but if i am in the game i cant see mario i can play but i dont see him so if i try to jump on the turtle i mostly ended dead because i cant see my mario

can someone help?

also what does the source code do and where to put it?

Richlando

Super Mario All Stars doesn't work as of 371+..you can try changing the engine used and changing some of the debug options but I can't get it to work either..

Just get the GBA versions,(Super Mario Advance I-IV) and use gpsp, those work.

Chilly Willy

Contributor
also what does the source code do and where to put it?

The source code is the source code - the source text for the program you are running. It is there so that people who like to work on code can change things and recompile the app. If all you do is simply run the app, just ignore the source.

AznSaiyan

Super Mario All Stars doesn't work as of 371+..you can try changing the engine used and changing some of the debug options but I can't get it to work either..

Just get the GBA versions,(Super Mario Advance I-IV) and use gpsp, those work.

I really hope someone can fix this out.

cloudy2j

Does this run a lot of games slowly or lag during parts of games a lot for anyone else? Is there anything I can do to speed things up?

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
Does this run a lot of games slowly or lag during parts of games a lot for anyone else? Is there anything I can do to speed things up?

Depends on the game, really. You can enable Frameskip to speed things up.

Richlando

Set up the config for each game you play,it's annoying but once it's done it's not that big of a deal. I do really wish we had a pool of sorts for ini files for the majority of games..maybe even built in settings..(I can hope right?)

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor

Cheezeball99

But I was committed after that birthday party...
The emu has one built in font, fontNaga10.c, and you'd have to convert whatever font you wanted into C and recompile. I don't really have any plans to change the font handling in this. I'm working on a new conversion of SNES9x 1.51, and I'll probably use freetype2 for printing text, so you'll be able to simply choose a TTF from the menu for that. It'll be awhile before that conversion is done.

If you mean inside the game itself, that's hardcoded in the game. You'd have to hack the rom to change the font the game uses. That's well beyond the scope of this thread.

Any leeway on this?:wink:

Cheezeball99

But I was committed after that birthday party...
Not ready yet. When it is, you'll certainly see it posted everywhere. :)

Cool cool! Really lookin' forward to it! Any sort of projected finish time or anything?:smile: It's cool if ya don't know, I'm just interested.