• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

SOCOM: Confrontation

Shatterdome

Gotta make a thread to bitch about this game...haha.

I got it on release and have managed to play....abit, not for lack of trying.

As anyone who bought the game knows, the game won't go past the "press start" screen without connecting to the Slant servers, which have been down most of the time.

When they are up, games are laggy and you get disconnected alot.....ok, they didn't know how many people would buy this game and obviously the beta wasn't big enough....so give them some time to get more bandwidth and servers and that should be fixed.

Other then this issue, I kinda have some other issues that seem like no brainers....like what is up with the match making, or lack thereof...these regional channels and such are a good idea in theory, but kinda suck in practice....especially since you cannot get ANY type of info on the connection quality of the game you are joining.

I suppose maybe they thought people from US East would only join US East channels....but I went into the Japan channel, and it was a bunch of hicks from who knows where....

Let me see my ping, because this game is so precise you need it.....ntm different colours for terrorist and CT names, not just plain white.....

Really havn't been able to play it much so I can't say too much on the gameplay other then it seems solid when it's all working properly....

I am going to try it again tonight....need a good 6 hour session with the game but the servers will not allow it....

Abe Froeman

Gamer Dad
Enforcer Team
I was interested in this, but haven't read any hands on info up until your post. I think I will wait it out a bit longer.

Joey

I really hope this game ends up being good... I was a HUGE Socom 2 fan, and I wish I could have another game that hooks me as much as that game did.

Robby

Los Doyers!
I played some of the beta and I was disappointed.
I am a huge Socom fan but I couldn't really get into it with this game.

Shatterdome

Well, they patched the servers so you can actually play, but lot's of the stat tracking and rankings are still not working properly....

As far as the game goes, I think it's awesome.....tons of customisation as far as weapons and gear....no skills per se, but everything that you could unlock in COD4 (as far as weapons/accesories) is presented to you right off the bat, plus some.

The gameplay is at least 5 times as tactical as Cod4, and 3 times as much as Counterstrike (I was a CS whore for 5 years) and everyone basically has a mic.....

I am not sure how the previous socoms played, but since it's the same team I can't think it's changed too much.....but the game is highy tactical and precise....

Graphics are not amazing, but the lighting is done well for this type of game....you can hide in shadows, and the change in HDR lighting comming inside to outside and vice versa can actually blind you for a few seconds.

Once they smooth things out and patch the little presentation problems (like not being able to see latency) and start getting tournies and such going, I really think this will be the best tactical shooter on consoles.....but it really is for hardcores, no wiff of autoaim anywhere....which makes me happy...

Joey

Shatterdome said:
I am not sure how the previous socoms played, but since it's the same team I can't think it's changed too much.....but the game is highy tactical and precise....
Actually, all the other Socom games were made by Zipper Interactive. This one was made by Slant Six.

Blackout

Joey said:
Actually, all the other Socom games were made by Zipper Interactive. This one was made by Slant Six.

christ, my bundle is on back order. i just wanted it for the headset, probably going to sell the game if it's really that bad.

Shatterdome

Joey said:

Ahh well I guess alot of the guys from Zipper went to Slant Six, because in the "behind the scenes" movies they say "so and so has been working on Socom since day 1" for the music, sound, maps and art direction....which are pretty much the most important aspects of a game...

Joey

So is this game worth getting? I'm fairly poor these days, so I really can't be spending $60 unless it gonna be worth it. For some reason, there's no reviews out there, so I'm kind of left hanging here.

I'm thinking about trading in COD4 and GTA4, so I'm gonna be with out a time sinking MP game until at least GOW2, but I don't see myself getting into that game's MP too much.

Seth

MD Party Room
I kinda wanna know how good the headset is....

Shatterdome

Vanden said:
I kinda wanna know how good the headset is....

The headset is super good, well worth it if you don't have one.

I like the game so far and can only see it getting better with updates/patches....

twelve

I'm not dead
This game launch is epic fail. The back of the physical box (if you buy that version) lists trophies as one of the features but they're not in it, the list hasn't been finalised and there's no date for when a patch will be released.

Why list something as a feature if it's not going to come out of the box?

Joey

The game and the headset are mighty good. I just played a good 3-4 hours of the game.

It's weird, this game is still stuck in the stone age, both in terms of gameplay and graphics, but it's still so appealing. The Graphics are probably the worst I've seen on a current-gen console, and while the controls are way better than they used to be (by a hundred miles), this game still feels like it's from 2004.

With all that said, I still had a lot of fun, and I couldn't stop playing. There's just something about Socom that gets me.

As for the headset, it's great. Audio is clear, and it's fairly comfortable. You can always feel that it's there, but it's not unpleasant.

I can see this being my new MP game for a while. Especially since most of the maps are from Socom 2, so I don't even have to get used to them, I'm allready 100% familiar with them.

twelve

I'm not dead
I think the thing that's most appealing to me about this game over previous socom games is that the PSN is in place and the game can be easily patch to eliminate glitchers and cheaters. Plus the PS3 hasn't been hacked so there wont be any code cheaters like on the PSP.

Savagefreak

$ ./savage.sh
I will get this just for the sake of getting the BT headset.
The game will just be a bonus for me.
big /care if the game sucks or not.
But then again, I secretly hope it is a good game.

Joey

Well, I played for 2-3 more hours after I posted earlier this morning. Great game.

Unfortunately, it's true that the new camera angle just doesn't work. I tried to keep it on just because it looks so much cooler, and modern, but it has three inherent flaws. One, your field of vision is much smaller than if you use the classic view. Second, your head gets in the way of your view ALL the time... If you put your back against a wall, the camera will get pushed all the way up against your head, and it'll take up 60% of the screen. And last, you have to constantly hit right on the D-pad to switch which side of your character the crosshair is on. Since much of this game is about peaking around corners, you'll be constantly doing it, and it just becomes a hassle.

And it really is a shame, because the new camera is so much more cinematic, and makes the game feel somewhat current.

Also, I would like to add, that when I said the game looks like shit, I realized that it's more the remade levels from Socom 2 that looks like shit. Desert Glory just looks horrible. Frostfire also looks pretty bad. Crossfire actually looks pretty good though, because I think with that one, it's not just a reskined version of the old map, but it has updated geometry.

Anyway, I wish the god damn servers would get fixed, because as of right now, no stats are getting recorded, so I've put in 6-7 hours, with a kill death ratio of about 3-4:1, but my stats only actually recorded two games.

Also, I haven't ranked up in any way because of that. Which sucks, because I think you get new weapons and stuff like that.

**EDIT**

Also, I think I should add that the shitty hit detection that has plagued this series is gone. If you hit somebody, it registers every time. I can't say the same about the lag, which always happens at the absolute worst time, but I think that has more to do with the problems they're having right now. It's funny, you can be running next to 5-6 teammates, and the game will run silky smooth, but every so often, when an enemy enters your view, the game will stutter. It's cost me a on more than one occasion, but it happens so sparsely that it's easy to get over.

It's weird, but this game doesn't piss me off like COD4 does. It must be the Kill Cam, because COD4 really is the only game that pisses me off these days.

Shatterdome

Yeah, this game should be super good once they patch it up and fix servers.

The thing I love about it, besides I finally can play a tactically shooter on console without auto aim, (I know all games have it abit, but i'm talking COD4/MGO with like noob AA) is the the crazy HDR lighting that makes it useful to stay in shadows for once.

Like if you are in a brightly lit courtyard, or anwhere brightly lit, it is super hard to see in shadowed areas, and some are just black untill you use a scope on em....you have to actually move into the shadows and your "eyes" adjust dramatically....so finding nice dark areas that look over brightly lit ones with lots of traffic is a good plan.

I was also a bit "meh" with the graphics, they are not bad, but not what I expected from a first party title....however, playing the stages at night really changes that....stages at night look pimp ass.

Joey, and anyone else with the game should add me "shatterdome" to their PSN....I need a crew to play with, would make the game so much better...