• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Team Fortress 2: The Sniper

eXo

M for Messenger
Valve: Team Fortress 2 Sniper Update Coming Within Days

Valve just shot over a press release announcing that the highly-anticipated Sniper class update for Team Fortress 2 will be distributed via Steam within the “coming days.”In Valve tradition, this class update will be completely free, ushering in new maps and achievements to all TF2 players, in addition to a selection of unlockable weapons.The official [...]

More...

Colm

Team Fortress 2 - The Sniper Update
First unlockable revealed. The Huntsman Longbow.

The Huntsman
You will shoot them and they will stick to the wall and they will die.
Any experienced sniper will tell you how irritating it is when your targets keep moving around. The question is how to stop these cheaters from wind-sprinting around like they own the place. And the answer is to pin them to a wall. How? With arrows!

"Now, hold on," you might be thinking. "I'm strong, but no one could throw an arrow that hard." Introducing the Huntsman longbow, which solves that age-old throwing problem.

"Now, hold on," you keep saying. "Aren't bows and arrows primitive and harmless?" Why don't you ask the dinosaurs? Except you can't, because the cavemen bow and arrowed them to death. One headshot from the Huntsman can mean an instant crit, in addition to a bolt-riddled corpse hanging from a wall that's gruesome and funny.

And even if you don't kill them, they'll carry around a certain arrow-shaped something as a living testament to your awesome archery skills and their frankly unawesome dodging skills. Comes with 18 arrows and a one-second charge for full power shots.

Colm

Actually, x3sphere beat me by 4 minutes. The Bot has a delay to ensure that the article goes to the forums without errors.
gg, exophase :(

Hardrive

Contributor
Well, I fucked up the thread merge. Sorry guys.

Anyway, I wonder if these arrows will fall with range (like the Pyro's flare gun). That would make it extremely useless, in my opinion.

Colm

That's the point. Hard to aim from a distance but rewards snipers working at close-range. There's a post about this on the TF2 devblog.

Hardrive

Contributor
So you have a moron sniper running around with a one-second reload weapon? I don't buy it, he'll get destroyed. He must have a powerful secondary or melee gun coming out to pair with this thing.

Chathurga

The arrow, the wall and you.

ouch.jpg

No, the Huntsman doesn't stun. It pins dead/dying players.

Oh thank god, could they have not made that more clear in the beginning? I was deadly afraid this was another sandman.

Hardrive

Contributor
So will a body fly through the air until it hits a wall? Because that would be awesome and hilarious at the same time.

Colm

So who is up for some farming once its out?

:p

Cant wait.

Valve's new weapon system. Achievement\weapon delink.
EDIT:
Shack: Will the backpack/head items be part of a separate game mode, or is this going to be patched into TF2 proper?

Robin Walker: It’ll be in TF2 proper. The primary change here is simply the decoupling of achievements and unlockables, which is the source of most of the negative feedback we’ve received around previous class packs. The head-slot items are all cosmetic at this point, so they haven’t resulted in any significant balance issues in any of our existing game modes.

Colm

I should have posted this quote as well, it really makes you wonder about the new system...
Shack: Some users are concerned that you can permanently delete hard-won items from your backpack. Should they be? How is that system intended to work?

Robin Walker: Not really. We put in some strong wording in the update to discourage them from doing it for now, but as soon as the next update ships they’ll be able to find any item, including ones they’ve deleted in the past. The reason we shipped it in the last update, even though there was no real reason at all to use it, was to get some real world testing. So thanks to the 270 people who went ahead and deleted items! In addition, it gave our support team some warmup practice in handling the inevitable customer issues resulting from this kind of system.