• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

The Music thread! - Post your music here (remixed, re-instrumentation, original)

androidkaita

Drop The Gun
Thanks man, I'm glad you like it! My friend is gonna come over one day and do the vocals for it, so hopefully it will be even more awesome :D

Trigun

That guy, who Records Music.
Not bad, improvement. But why do you have the Snare hitting in the right channel?

That is wrong for a lot of reasons.

You always want to have the panning of all instruments reflect sonically the space as if it was being played live.

When someone is thrashing a drum kit they don't run over to where one of the guitarists are every 2nd beat and hit a snare.
Just like Hi-Hats shouldn't be panned Hard left or right.

Anyways
here's something I just finished a few days ago.
http://www.box.net/shared/vu0yrldrg7

androidkaita

Drop The Gun
Yeah I can't figure out why my snare is panned right either, in my mix I have it set to center, so im not sure what's going on I'll have to look into that. But thanks man!

Dude that sounds badass, I love it, it reminds me of a game like sonic, sounds sick!

androidkaita

Drop The Gun
Yeah I am using EZDrummer, with the Metalheads expansion. But I am replacing the default kick and snare with some samples I have, maybe its cuz my snare sample is mono or something, because in the VSTi panel the snare is set to center, same with the snare master track so I'm not sure

Trigun

Try doing it with the snare samples provided with EZD and it's expansion.

I've used EZD and many of it's expansions over the last few years and never have I had an issue like that.
(The song I posted above uses EZD infact)

Trigun

You can fix that with a lot of things, like Compression, equalization ,limiting and more.

Now there are a number of ways you can go about "Isolating the Snare" so you can effectively tweak the sound. (And how you want to tweak it depends on the sound you want and the genre)

1. Duplicate your Track with the FX on the Insert(Which would be EZD and whatever else)
Now open up EZD on your original track, and take the Snare Mic levels down all the way(and click on the snare and select NONE as the sample) and on the duplicated track take down everything but the snare mics and set every other instruments sample to NONE that way on the overhead and room mics you don't have anything else interfering with the sound of the snare. (set the overhead and room mics to your liking, or all the way down) and now you can add whatever you want to that track on the insert(the FX bus) to change the sound, like compression and eq to fatten it up or whatever else you want. It's up to you.

I won't bother listing other methods , that should be sufficient for you.

androidkaita

Drop The Gun
Lol wow I figured it out, the snare itself was panned center, but the snare trigger was panned to the right, so I fixed that now, sounds good! And I'm glad I can still use my snare sample. I will be posting a mini song I made today hopefully later on or soon with this fix

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=1078766&songID=10331439

Here is my new original song, I have titled it Overpass because that is a new Gears of War 3 map and it looks like a cool map lol, that is all. The song itself is pretty short at only 1:38 long, but I think it turned out pretty good, and all in a day's work :)

Lemme know what you think!

Dan

Contributor
Excellent, I love that song!

The amount of synths and effects in that song is fucking ridiculous, haha

Edit: Your White Washed cover is pretty awesome too

Trigun

Hah, unfortunately not.

I'm a one man band.

Will probably stay that way for a while, considering i'm trying to major in audio engineering so I can work in that field (Tv,games,movies/etc audio)
I've never been much for band type setups(mostly because it's hard for me to find people who I share musical views with and stuff) I do jam with my friends band once in a while though.

I'm sure this would change if I met the right people IRL, unlikely though because I have extremely different ideas for music than most people, don't want to just sound like every other band out there.(and I hardly even listen to band music at that)

But I digress, I assume that means you like it.

So thanks !

Trigun

You can use any DAW program that functions with VSTi Plugins.

Some use Cubase, some use Reason, Some use Adobe adution, Some even use FL Studio(don't if you ever want to be anything other than a wannabe noob)

I use Reaper. It's one of the only you can legally use for free.

androidkaita

Drop The Gun
Excellent, I love that song!

The amount of synths and effects in that song is fucking ridiculous, haha

Edit: Your White Washed cover is pretty awesome too

Yeah I am going to redo this cover soon, I just got a new tab for it with better drums, and the synths are tabbed as well so I can covert them to midi to make the song more like the original. I also need to fix a lot of stuff according to the new tab haha because it's played very differently than I played in that recording.

Thanks man, I really need to sit down and learn the whole song, because that is one of my favorite songs currently

I'm the same as you Trigun, I play everything myself because none of my friends want to play any of the same music as me. This hopefully will change soon though because I made some new friends now that I go to Uni and they play similar stuff as me so hopefully I'll go jam with them soon lol

I use Reaper as well. And with EZDrummer I use the Metalheads expansion (Meshuggah kit).

Here is my cover of "Patterns" by The Human Abstract
http://soundcloud.com/galactic-pegasus/patterns-the-human-abstract

or

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3zqq90evv8

androidkaita

Drop The Gun
Thanks guys. I was using Cubase and it doesn't agree with my computer, So I needed something else.

Yeah, Reaper is great! If you need any help with it let me know and maybe I can help out