• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Top 5 gaming disappointments of 2008

PsypheR

1. GTA4 (no carsurfing, no tanks, no planes, no FUN cheats... no nothin').
2. Fable II co-op was designed by a man and his imaginary friend.
3. Piss-poor PSP games -- deterring even the best of pirates to 'move on'.
4. WoW: WTFAO -- consider how much you've wasted and how much you've gained; in the end, it all belongs to Blizzard. Oh, Blizzard says "Thanks".
5. Offline multiplayer -- next-gen games are finally starting to wake out of their slumber here, but still... all racing games should at least be able to manage this.

androidkaita

Drop The Gun
Also GHWT was a huge dissapointment

androidkaita

Drop The Gun
All the songs sucked, but then thats my opinion, so heres something thats fact, the game is too easy. Also the song creating thing sucks, it has terrible sound quality, and the online sucks.

Vee

Star Wars:Forced Unleashed.
I remember when they showed the tech demo for this a few years back, how wood splinters independently every time, how soldiers cling onto eachother, building destruction. It was like nothing we'd ever seen. Then the game comes out and is a pile of BOLLOCKS. I mean, they still kept claiming you could bring a spaceship down! Thats was a minigame and it was crap.

Pro Evolution Soccer 2009
All they had to do, was to get the online good. THATS all.
They even claimed to have done that. Now thats its out, i can assure you, it isnt and they've gone back in terms of licensing, not forward like they needed to.

Mirrors Edge
Basically, we all thought we were going to get the parkour game that we had been waiting for, and we did. Just a minuscule amount of it. Games CANT be less then 12 hours. Its fucking ridiculous.

Guitar Hero World Tour
This is the biggie. This was one of the few games i was really looking forward to and they go balls that up too. I mean, who at Neversoft, thought it was acceptable to through in a ringtone creator and call it a music studio?

What The Fuck.

eldiablov

Contributor
Vee said:
Mirrors Edge
Basically, we all thought we were going to get the parkour game that we had been waiting for, and we did. Just a minuscule amount of it. Games CANT be less then 12 hours. Its fucking ridiculous.

Im not sure how much story you were wanting in a game where you run and jump and fight the occassional enemy. The real gameplay is in the time trials.

Chathurga

psypher said:
1. GTA4 (no carsurfing, no tanks, no planes, no FUN cheats... no nothin').
2. Fable II co-op was designed by a man and his imaginary friend.
3. Piss-poor PSP games -- deterring even the best of pirates to 'move on'.
4. WoW: WTFAO -- consider how much you've wasted and how much you've gained; in the end, it all belongs to Blizzard. Oh, Blizzard says "Thanks".
5. Offline multiplayer -- next-gen games are finally starting to wake out of their slumber here, but still... all racing games should at least be able to manage this.

Hit em all on the head.

eldiablov said:
Im not sure how much story you were wanting in a game where you run and jump and fight the occassional enemy. The real gameplay is in the time trials.

If Vee is right and it does last less than 12 hours then that is a failed game imo. Lazy to rely on cheap replay modes to make a game last.

Colm

Concerning offline multiplayer:
I personally think offline multiplayer has been going ok atm, but where the fuck are the bots. Seriously man, it's not cool to have CoD4 maps (designed for 12 players or above if you're playing Ground War) with only 2 people on them.

Sinfulfate

Vee said:
needed to.

Mirrors Edge
Why not? Both uncharted and heavenly sword were both around 6-8 hour games and if you don't count the ridiculously long cutscenes MGS 4 is probably under 12 hours too(gameplay wise anyway). I think what you mean to say games cant be under 12 hours if they plan to sell them for full retail price.

Teowulf

<span style=height:2px;cursor:default;"></span>
1) Spore
2) Warhammer Online (it's fantastic, but I expected/hoped for better)
3, 4, and 5) College applications (led to my falling behind on all of the new games)

TheMasterChef

The Groove Jesus
Vee said:
Guitar Hero World Tour
This is the biggie. This was one of the few games i was really looking forward to and they go balls that up too. I mean, who at Neversoft, thought it was acceptable to through in a ringtone creator and call it a music studio?

What The Fuck.

I KNEW IT!! I KNEW IT!! I knew that this game would f**k consumers up the ass. I knew that the "song creator" would f**k consumers up the ass.

Abe Froeman

Gamer Dad
Enforcer Team
TheMasterChef said:
I KNEW IT!! I KNEW IT!! I knew that this game would f**k consumers up the ass. I knew that the "song creator" would f**k consumers up the ass.

Settle down. lol

_Syn

1: Playstation Home. I got into the Closed Beta, and frankly, I regret getting picked. Yes, I had the initial happiness and giggles, but after I sat down and actually went around, there is nothing else to do. It's a simple application, which is a waste of 3GB in your hard drive.

2: Haze. As BubbleSquishy said, there are a certain amount of people who actually spent $60 for this game, and I consider myself lucky to not have just dished out $60 for that game. I played the demo though, it was fun at first, but the game reviews were just disappointing.

3: GTAIV. No, I have nothing against this game, but PS2 games were better than this game. I mean, this game was supposed to be incomparable to any game, but I can compare this game to GTA London (okay, I exaggerated a lot, but you get my point) and still get a great experience in gaming. I just think that Rockstar spent a bit too much time on the realism side, that they forgot to include the fun factor of the game, and the intensity. Though, the newly added trophies make it funner, but it's still not making me wanna replay the whole game.

4: Assassin's Creed. Like SkyLine said, this game had a great concept, but the game was just way too short and repetitive. I finished this game in about 2 days (less than the average game), which means it was either too easy or it was short. In this case, it was short because I went from killing the first King to the leader of the Assassin's (sorry for the people who haven't played the game yet) in 2 days. There should've been different ways to complete the game, which I know there is, but I think that this game was way too repetitive and I traded it right after I finished it, and got the full $60 back. I just said that my cousin got me an extra one.

5: Last but not least, the Playstation Firmware Updates. Yes, this is a disappointment. We were expetcing the in-game video chat (which they literally featured even before the PS3 was released) which we still don't have today. Also, the in-game XMB lacks features. We should be able to edit more things, and Sony should've made it more stable, so that we would get less of a lag during the in-game XMB.

TheMasterChef

The Groove Jesus
Abe Froeman said:
Settle down. lol

Yeah, lol. I just pissed me off over at GT when you get idiots that say "Rock Band is a copy off GH" or "Guitar Hero is better because it came first" or "The song creator is obviously going to kick ass, because I can create Stairway to Heaven"

Vee

Sinfulfate said:
Why not? Both uncharted and heavenly sword were both around 6-8 hour games and if you don't count the ridiculously long cutscenes MGS 4 is probably under 12 hours too(gameplay wise anyway). I think what you mean to say games cant be under 12 hours if they plan to sell them for full retail price.
I thought that didnt need to be mentioned.

Heavenly Sword and Uncharted were both brilliant games. But brilliant rental games. I'd never pay