• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

[UPDATE] Playstation Network: Phat Outage

eXo

M for Messenger
PSNOutage.jpg

Several users on our forums and over on the official Playstation forums are reporting that they are unable to access the Playstation Network, and thus unable to play some games (Error 8001050F). Some other users are also reporting that their trophies are corrupting for no good reason. Sony has acknowledged this problem and are actively looking into it, so now all we can do is wait[...]

Continue reading: Playstation Network: Global Outage?...

Dan

Contributor
My trophy's are fucked up too, and the installation data gets stuck on 10%.

RAAAAAAAAARGH.

Bill

Just logged on and started DL'ing the GOW 3 demo. Everything seems fine here?

Dan

Contributor
I'm still down. :(

I'm going to bed anyway, I'll see how it is in the morning.

user friendly

It's not really an outage, at least for everyone it isn't. It seems more like an issue with the internal OS clock related to the leap year. Only affecting pre-slim models. It sets the clock to the 1/1/1999 and you can't launch any games with trophies. Basically shits fucked up for Sony and they haven't said anything yet other than they are on it. Hopefully it can be fixed with a firmware update via pendrive.

Yep, I have it here as well. PS3 thinks I want to celebrate happy new years 1999.

I fixed the date, trophies seem fine, and I can launch games with no problems (Tested MW2). PSN is down though. Seems the OS isn't generally affected, so Sony may just have to patch some things up on the server and push a firmware update. Nothing major, thankfully.

user friendly

Good explanation to what might be the problem:

iammeiam said:
The going theory is that the PS3 is storing some form of date in GMT, then modifying that to get whatever you see in the on-screen clock. That modification process seems to be fine--the system can take 2/28/2010, 9PM GMT, add four hours, and get 3/1/2010, 1AM random time zone.

What's apparently effed, as speculation goes, is when the internal GMT-tracking rolls over to 3/1. It's either not rolling, or rolling to 2/29, at which point a system tries to add/subtract from 2/29, which it can't do because the front-end calendar doesn't have a 2/29/2010, and shit explodes. Seemed to happen around 4PM PDT, which I think is 12AM GMT, so.

And the PS3 launched in 2006; it's hit 4 2/28s so far. 2007 and 2009 were odd-numbered years; 2008 was an even, and a leap year. 2010 is the first even non-leap-year the system's been around for. If some sort of base-level math is choking on itself, it may have ruled out the odd 2007 and 2009 successfully, but is convinced the even 2010 is a leap year (this part I'm less sure of, but is why leap year could theoretically come into play at some point.)

Hopefully it's an easy fix.

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
I'm thinking it would be similar to the Zune Bug that we had a while back, give it a day and it might fix itself? That is, if you haven't turned on your PS3 yet, don't and wait till tomorrow to see if it fixes itself

El Diablo

I was actually trying to get back into MW2 again while I waited for Final Fantasy, guess I won't be turning my ps3 on for a couple days and I'll have to pray it doesn't bug out.

Seth

MD Party Room
Darn I wanted to finish up assassin's creed 1, how dare this happen on my spring break.

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
Just woke up, checked my phat PS3, it jumped back to 1999 o.o. Since I can't connect to the internet here, I just set the clock manually so there shouldn't be any issues for me.

Joey

It's pretty much inexcusable for this to happen after the year 2000...

How the hell are you not going to make sure this shit is straightened out before you ship the hardware, and any subsequent patches?

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
Nevermind me earlier post. My PS3 is also affected by this even though I haven't connected to the internet. During my talk with Mathieulh, I found out that this is most likely a Real-Time Clock issue and should be easily fixable, the delay must mean sony is most likely going to roll out a FW Update that also does something to fix the Linux exploit. (my assumption only). You can only play non-trophy enabled games, everything that has some kind of connection with the PSN will utterly fail.

Also, DO NOT try to play a trophy enabled BD-game or your trophies will get locally eliminated, and I'm not sure if that affects your trophy collection when you get back online. I've lost all my Dragon Age trophies.

More news as I get them.

Joey

Nevermind me earlier post. My PS3 is also affected by this even though I haven't connected to the internet. During my talk with Mathieulh, I found out that this is most likely a Real-Time Clock issue and should be easily fixable, the delay must mean sony is most likely going to roll out a FW Update that also does something to fix the Linux exploit. (my assumption only). You can only play non-trophy enabled games, everything that has some kind of connection with the PSN will utterly fail.

Also, DO NOT try to play a trophy enabled BD-game or your trophies will get locally eliminated, and I'm not sure if that affects your trophy collection when you get back online. I've lost all my Dragon Age trophies.

More news as I get them.
Well, since you can't connect to PSN, how exactly are you going to apply this update? Most of us know you can download updates from their website, and put them on a flash drive, but I'm sure there is a pretty sizable portion of PS3 owners who don't know this, or how to do it.

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
Well, since you can't connect to PSN, how exactly are you going to apply this update? Most of us know you can download updates from their website, and put them on a flash drive, but I'm sure there is a pretty sizable portion of PS3 owners who don't know this, or how to do it.

Very true that Joey.

Maybe Sony could put some kind of tutorial on their EU and US blogs/forums. Surely if people have enough skill to whine on the internet (just go check the US PS Forums) they could also lose some time reading a tutorial to fix the issue.

We can only sit out and watch this one =|

Riorio99

I was having an argument with a 360 fanboy about the PS3 never having any major problems, then this happens *facepalm*

Dan

Contributor
We don't know if it's a 'problem' as such yet, just an inconvenience. It'd be a problem if my fucking trophy's vanish, which I really hope they don't.

Riorio99

We don't know if it's a 'problem' as such yet, just an inconvenience. It'd be a problem if my fucking trophy's vanish, which I really hope they don't.

I call it a problem when no games that require trophies can be played, the entire PS network is down, and trophies and save games are being deleted.