• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

[UPDATE] Playstation Network: Phat Outage

KezraPlanes

Just some dood

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
Important thing to note from that blog post: Sony advises that you do not use your PS3 Phat for the day or a fix is issued.

Slasher

Suck It
Thanks for keeping me informed mfm

Guess I won't be turning on my PS3 for the time being

Seth

MD Party Room
It appears to be an RTC firmware bug. It will autofix itself @ midnight UTC-0 tonight when the PS3 thinks it is March 1st again. Or you can pull the RTC battery for about 10 minutes right now and fix it. The Slims have newer RTC firmware and in turn weren't affected by this bug

Some guy on digg

Also lol
IG44A.gif

user friendly

I'm going to be salty if I lose trophies over this.

A poster on another board is saying he physically removed the battery for the internal clock and popped it back in ten minutes later and now has access to everything he thought he lost last night. Seem like a firmware may be able to beat it back into place but there may be a need for Sony to service them. I think I'm going out to grab a slim tonight.

Hopefully it fixes itself.

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
I just changed my PS3 HDD back to 250GB so I took this chance not to backup anything besides my saved games and changed the disk faster.

Imma play Ninja Gaiden Sigma until this is fixed. Advanteges of non-trophy enabled games :p

Seth

MD Party Room
I have assassin's creed 1 playing now works fine.

superste2201

Well to be fair guy's this wasn't Sony's fault.

In fact it's a company called Freescale Semiconductor that created the chip with this programming bug.

Personally i think Sony should sue them and use the money to give us something for free. Briad off PSN maybe?

Surely you guy's must know that? Just take out the battery under the mobo.

superste2201

It's still Sony's fault if this wasn't caught in the quality control process.

Well come on, this is simple programming from a reputable company. there would of been no reason to doubt there programming.

EDIT: Here's the code-

year = ORIGINYEAR; /* = 1980 */
while (days > 365)
{
if (IsLeapYear(year))
{
if (days > 366)
{
days -= 366;
year += 1;
}
}
else
{
days -= 365;
year += 1;
}
}

Abe Froeman

Gamer Dad
Enforcer Team
Well considering this is the only major piece of electronics that seems to have stumbled over this February, I still put the blame on the company who's logo is on the unit; not their subcontractors.

El Diablo

What battery is this you need to remove? Do you need to take the whole ps3 apart to get to it?

user friendly

Well they must have known about this as the newer models aren't affected by this so something must have been changed down the line. It's possible that they didn't know it and those responsible didn't want to say anything out of fear. I may open mine up tonight if it doesn't fix itself.

I say we get a $10 voucher or something, just giving a free game isn't going to work for everyone.

What battery is this you need to remove? Do you need to take the whole ps3 apart to get to it?
Yeah, it's the battery that keeps the internal clock ticking. Apparently it can be removed and put back in effectively resetting the clock making it think this all never happened?

Slasher

Suck It
Does this have something to do with leap years?

Now that it's March 1st should it be alright for me to turn it on or do you guys think I should wait it out another day? I wouldn't mind getting some gaming in today...

I would wait for a day just to fix all the bugs

Weird. hell my offline xbox never keep the right time and date. they should of put a battery in it.

El Diablo

I turned my ps3 on today after not having it on for a week and it's still fucked up so no I wouldn't turn it on.

superste2201

Yeah, you gotta remove the syscon battery on the underside of the mobo IIRC.

Slim models have a newer firmware on the chip responsible more than likely or even different chip, obviously they change quite alot.

I was joking about the free game but a free PSN voucher would be appropriate.

Yeah it's to do with the internal clock, in laymen terms some stupid programmer at Freescale made the chip controlling the internal clock count a leap year every 2 years. So when it turned to the 01/03/2010 the internal clock ticked over to 29/02/2010 giving the OS an invalid date and setting it to 1999/2000. Because of this all cert's and file's relating to online content are invalid causing a whole load of problems.

Freescale is the company that made the chips controlling the internal clock for the PS3.

The slim models and CECHL fat models obviously use a different chip or firmware.

---------- Post added at 09:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:19 PM ----------

Does this have something to do with leap years?

Now that it's March 1st should it be alright for me to turn it on or do you guys think I should wait it out another day? I wouldn't mind getting some gaming in today...

The internal clock goes on GMT time not your time zone, so you have about 3 hours left.