• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Multi Western Final Fantasy XIII to feature different theme song

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
Sad but true. Along with the good news of the western release comes a bad one. It was officially announced that Leona Lewis' song "My Hands" as the western FFXIII theme song.

We're not talking doing the voice for the usual cover of the Japanese song in English, but a totally different unrelated to Final Fantasy song. Considering Nobuo Uematsu made a made the theme song for Final Fantasy XIII, it's a damn shame we will never get to enjoy it as we should have.

Again, Square-Enix shows they care little to none about their fans (at least Western ones).

Abe Froeman

Gamer Dad
Enforcer Team
I never understood the following that video game music composers got. I can honestly say that I have never been impressed by video game music in any of the RPG's I've played throughout my life. RPG battle music is 99% going to be awful and repetitive after the third encounter.

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
I never understood the following that video game music composers got. I can honestly say that I have never been impressed by video game music in any of the RPG's I've played throughout my life. RPG battle music is 99% going to be awful and repetitive after the third encounter.

You may not like it Abe, but Nobuo Uematsu music is epic and made up 40% of the experience of any Final Fantasy game up until X. Ever since he quit Square, he made a few appearances to please all his fans (which are a lot) and without a doubt the Final Fantasy games series has lost a lot without his compositions. New western fans to the series would have been able to experience this through one song, had not Square gone corporate on them and putting in a totally unrelated song that will add nothing to the game.

Trigun

That guy, who Records Music.
Video game music IMHO, is absolutely some of the best music ever created. And a lot of RPGs have has so many songs with strong "feeling" that even classical composers failed to create because of how mechanical the songs are.

While it's a surprise that they are changing it, I'm sure the song will be good. Of course i'm looking forward to the weaboo/Elitist Outcries further against Square-Enix. It will be good Lulz.

---------- Post added at 08:19 PM EST ---------- Previous post was at 08:15 PM EST ----------

You may not like it Abe, but Nobuo Uematsu music is epic and made up 40% of the experience of any Final Fantasy game up until X. Ever since he quit Square, he made a few appearances to please all his fans (which are a lot) and without a doubt the Final Fantasy games series has lost a lot without his compositions. New western fans to the series would have been able to experience this through one song, had not Square gone corporate on them and putting in a totally unrelated song that will add nothing to the game.

Square enix has done it before, Star ocean 3 used a theme song that was originally a non-composer piano piece. And there have been others, just don't go crying fowl now.

And, I don't want to assume you are another Uematsu fanboy. I can't stand people who think Everything he makes is so superior to anything else someone else writes.

FFX-2 had a great soundtrack with a large varitey in styles and genre's. I still listen to some of the tracks very often.

And Final Fantasy XII while more atmospheric was still very themeatic and memorable. Not to mention arranged beautifully.

The Only single Final Fantasy game that has any bad music by any means IMHO That I personally dislike is Final Fantasy 3j

If anything the Series has expanded tremendously into new areas that are successful in their own ways. Despite what any fanboy and/or idiot says. It's done what it's always done, change and reinvent itself with each game.

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
Video game music IMHO, is absolutely some of the best music ever created. And a lot of RPGs have has so many songs with strong "feeling" that even classical composers failed to create because of how mechanical the songs are.

While it's a surprise that they are changing it, I'm sure the song will be good. Of course i'm looking forward to the weaboo/Elitist Outcries further against Square-Enix. It will be good Lulz.

Square enix has done it before, Star ocean 3 used a theme song that was originally a non-composer piano piece. And there have been others, just don't go crying fowl now.

And, I don't want to assume you are another Uematsu fanboy. I can't stand people who think Everything he makes is so superior to anything else someone else writes.

FFX-2 had a great soundtrack with a large varitey in styles and genre's. I still listen to some of the tracks very often.

And Final Fantasy XII while more atmospheric was still very themeatic and memorable. Not to mention arranged beautifully.

The Only single Final Fantasy game that has any bad music by any means IMHO That I personally dislike is Final Fantasy 3j

I could care less about Enix IP's, Enix protects their product well inside the company, so there's no need to worry about them.

While I'm not a Uematsu "fanboy", I do look at him with respect. He's music was very solid and he knew always how to compose the right song for the right moment. As anyone inside the industry knows, usually the last stage of development is voice-over and music inserting and Uematsu was a master at that (scratch voice-over in his case).

I just think it's a damned shame new fans to the series won't get to hear a tune composed by him, which hasn't happened since Final Fantasy X.

edit: I checked out the song, just for fairness sake, and I don't like it. I hope it fits with the OST of the game though, otherwise it could ruin the whole experience.

edit 2: Who's composing the OST, Takeharu Ishimoto? (my current fav.)

Sinfulfate

Not really true, he works as a freelancer now which is why he still does some Square-Enix games.

Anyway I dont mind that their not gonna use his theme song for the US release. One song wont make much of a difference plus he suppose to be doing the full score for FF XIV.

Abe Froeman

Gamer Dad
Enforcer Team

I know.

I'm just saying even if the song was in, it wouldn't make a bit of difference for me.

Just my opinion about video game music and the fact that it has never had the effect that other music can have on me. (No emotional response whatsoever except, this song blows, etc.)

Trigun

That guy, who Records Music.
I could care less about Enix IP's, Enix protects their product well inside the company, so there's no need to worry about them.

While I'm not a Uematsu "fanboy", I do look at him with respect. He's music was very solid and he knew always how to compose the right song for the right moment. As anyone inside the industry knows, usually the last stage of development is voice-over and music inserting and Uematsu was a master at that (scratch voice-over in his case).

I just think it's a damned shame new fans to the series won't get to hear a tune composed by him, which hasn't happened since Final Fantasy X.

edit: I checked out the song, just for fairness sake, and I don't like it. I hope it fits with the OST of the game though, otherwise it could ruin the whole experience.

edit 2: Who's composing the OST, Takeharu Ishimoto? (my current fav.)
You don't know who is composing XIII and the information has been out for years?
And you are a fan of FF music?

*Facepalm*

Sad.

It's Masashi hamauzu by the way. Who's music is absolutely wonderful.

Go Listen to the Soundtrack of Unlimited Saga. The music is so easy to enjoy without ever even playing the game.

He's done a lot of other stuff as well.

---------- Post added at 11:19 PM EST ---------- Previous post was at 11:13 PM EST ----------

Here is her song
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9q0_mNC5FQ8

It's not bad at all...That is unless you absolutely have no appreciation of music at all.

It's Different, which is neither bad nor good. I can see this working well as a credits or resolution song, it has some good emotional build-ups , good instrumentation.

Oh well I should just stop talking, People will never be happy unless they pretend to live inbetween 1991-1999 again.

Guess that means i'm off to keep enjoying most things ,while people wil continue complain about "Something"

Colm

when I first saw this thread title, I thought "meh, FF music was never my thing anyway"
But.. Leona Lewis? Seriously?

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
You don't know who is composing XIII and the information has been out for years?
And you are a fan of FF music?

*Facepalm*

Sad.

It's Masashi hamauzu by the way. Who's music is absolutely wonderful.

Go Listen to the Soundtrack of Unlimited Saga. The music is so easy to enjoy without ever even playing the game.

He's done a lot of other stuff as well.

---------- Post added at 11:19 PM EST ---------- Previous post was at 11:13 PM EST ----------

Here is her song
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9q0_mNC5FQ8

It's not bad at all...That is unless you absolutely have no appreciation of music at all.

It's Different, which is neither bad nor good. I can see this working well as a credits or resolution song, it has some good emotional build-ups , good instrumentation.

Oh well I should just stop talking, People will never be happy unless they pretend to live inbetween 1991-1999 again.

Guess that means i'm off to keep enjoying most things ,while people wil continue complain about "Something"

Respect others and you shall get respect. You insult and disrespect constantly others who differ from your opinion. Grow up and learn to respect differences. I'm getting sick of your attitude.

I didn't know who the composer was because I haven't been giving a shit over the FF series since X, because it's clearly lost quality no matter what you mindless sheep say. Kingdom Hearts Saga has become MUCH metter IMO, and Ikaru does pretty solid soundtracks for it. People aren't happy with Square because they suck ass.

And no I don't like Leona Lewis' song. I don't think it fits with the game or the series at all. Lightning's theme song? SERIOUSLY? And stop bashing people over their musical tastes, i's just pathetic and uncalled for you troll.

Meh. Anyway, as I said I'm willing to give the game and song a shot though, since I've liked pretty much all I've seen about the game.

@twelve: Eminem.LOL. I'd like to have seen that.

Adiuvo

The thing unique about video game music is that it's pretty much the only consistently released instrumental variation of music. Now, it's all lyrics lyrics lyrics, with more instrumental genres taking a backseat. Like jazz; Big Bad Voodoo Daddy is pretty much the only big jazz band still touring and writing pieces.

Video game music has come into a genre of itself, since it actually offers something no other brand has tried to apply. That, to me, is why it's special.

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
The thing unique about video game music is that it's pretty much the only consistently released instrumental variation of music. Now, it's all lyrics lyrics lyrics, with more instrumental genres taking a backseat. Like jazz; Big Bad Voodoo Daddy is pretty much the only big jazz band still touring and writing pieces.

Video game music has come into a genre of itself, since it actually offers something no other brand has tried to apply. That, to me, is why it's special.

I couldn't have said it any better.

EvilSeph

Administrator
Out of interest, and to get this into perspective: what are each of your musical backgrounds? If you don't mind me asking, of course.

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
As far as I'm concerned I can listen to all types of music, even though I don't like some.

But my preferences falls on: Classical, Progressive Metal, Symphonic Metal and Japanese videogame music composers such as Nobuo Uematsu, Shiro Meguro and Takeharu Ishimoto.

EvilSeph

Administrator
That's not what I meant by musical background. I know something about Adiuvo that I'd see definitely influencing the way he looks at this issue, but it's up to him to share.

What do you do in your life that has to do with music, if anything? This may or may not be a better question.

Chathurga

Wow, what? Instrumental genres are not taking a backseat at all, one huge genre that has a focus on instrumentals is Post-Rock. Bands like Mogwai and Explosions in the Sky are pretty huge while sparingly using vocals (and they are pretty much always treated like an instrument, never overshadowing the rest of the music).
Then there's electronic music, genres like Electro House, IDM, Downtempo, etc. etc. And these include some pretty big artists, people like Boards Of Canada, Aphex Twin, Squarepusher and pretty much every Electro House artist ever have a massive back catalogue of non-vocal tracks.

You need to either A) Not make blanket statements when you're completely wrong or B) Turn off the radio and listen to contemporary music a little off the beaten track.

I'll go with Abe on this one, by nature Video Game music has to be repetitive so it can be loopable and well, that makes it boring and repetitive usually.

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
That's not what I meant by musical background. I know something about Adiuvo that I'd see definitely influencing the way he looks at this issue, but it's up to him to share.

What do you do in your life that has to do with music, if anything? This may or may not be a better question.

OH! That actually is a better question.

Well in my case I've been surrounded by music my whole life, ever since I was very little. My parents made an habit out of me going to sleep with music on, specially classical. I maintained the habit up till today, tbh.

Also music is a part of my day-to-day life. I always have my PSP on music mode and hearphones on my head everywhere I go. It has become sort of a trademark. When before I had the PSP, I'd spend my life with a discman/walkman with me so I could listen to my favorite songs wherever I might go.

Nero

Mmmm...cookies
I just listened to the leona lewis song and it sucks, it has no feel to it at all compared to the japanese theme.