• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

What did you get for Christmas?

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
An Intensity Pro HD Capture Card :D

Quality = AWESOME! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bSJjc6w1Oo

And will be getting some time soon some Turtle Beach X41s - 7.1 surround sound 360 headset!

Haha, I was thinking about picking one up soon, I've been looking to get one for over a year now, just been putting it off each time (was supposed to get it in the fall but bought the new computer instead). Wise choice and have fun with it!

Seth

MD Party Room
Nothing :(

LocutusEstBorg

I technically didn't get anything. But I bought a 5850 a month ago. We were on a train on the morning of 25th so we didn't do anything at all.

El Xando

"Dam whippersnapper"
Haha, I was thinking about picking one up soon, I've been looking to get one for over a year now, just been putting it off each time (was supposed to get it in the fall but bought the new computer instead). Wise choice and have fun with it!

Yeah but looking at the specs of your computer from your signature I'd say you made a good decision!!!
All I have is an Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 3.0GHz, which I used to be able to overclock to 3.6GHz with no problem, but now my computer blue screens if I attempt that and the highest I've been able to get currently is 3.3GHz :(

MenaceInc

Staff Member

Same here. Ah well.
Suppose some of us can't be scrounging off our parents, eh?

---------- Post added at 12:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:35 PM ----------

Yeah but looking at the specs of your computer from your signature I'd say you made a good decision!!!
All I have is an Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 3.0GHz, which I used to be able to overclock to 3.6GHz with no problem, but now my computer blue screens if I attempt that and the highest I've been able to get currently is 3.3GHz :(

Could be a sign of your PSU dying D:

El Xando

"Dam whippersnapper"
Could be a sign of your PSU dying D:

What?! How is blue screening a sign of my PSU dying? If anything I think it's my RAM because as I increase CPU Clock, RAM clock automatically increases, and if I try running the RAM at what it should run at (1066MHz) my computer always blue screens...

MenaceInc

Staff Member
What?! How is blue screening a sign of my PSU dying? If anything I think it's my RAM because as I increase CPU Clock, RAM clock automatically increases, and if I try running the RAM at what it should run at (1066MHz) my computer always blue screens...

You said that you weren't able to get the OC on the CPU that you used to which to me suggests that your PSU isn't supplying a stable enough supply for that amount of power to the cpu...although I guess it depends how much you overvolted as well to get the OC stable.
The issue with the RAM could be it as well. Are you using CPU-Z to verify the speeds that are set in the BIOS?
Also, a lot of BIOS's put the divider options in as the speeds which gets confusing.

Eg, in my BIOS, it shows...
200 400 instead of 1:1
266 533 instead of 4:3
333 667 instead of 5:3
400 800 instead of 2:1
etc,etc

Suppose it differs from system to system though.
Admittedly, saying it could be the PSU was jumping ahead. Especially considering the way that the voltage difference for it may only be about .2v or even just .1v

El Xando

"Dam whippersnapper"
You said that you weren't able to get the OC on the CPU that you used to which to me suggests that your PSU isn't supplying a stable enough supply for that amount of power to the cpu...although I guess it depends how much you overvolted as well to get the OC stable.
The issue with the RAM could be it as well. Are you using CPU-Z to verify the speeds that are set in the BIOS?
Also, a lot of BIOS's put the divider options in as the speeds which gets confusing.

Eg, in my BIOS, it shows...
200 400 instead of 1:1
266 533 instead of 4:3
333 667 instead of 5:3
400 800 instead of 2:1
etc,etc

Suppose it differs from system to system though.
Admittedly, saying it could be the PSU was jumping ahead. Especially considering the way that the voltage difference for it may only be about .2v or even just .1v

I didn't actually change the voltages at all to be able to get 3.6GHz. I found a tutorial for my CPU on the internet, saying all I had to change was my CPU clock to 400 MHz (9x400) and I could get 3.6GHz stable no problem, which I could for a good while...
When it was on 3.6, the RAM sets to 960MHz, which it should be able to do no problem...
So it's very annoying.
If it's not the hardware causing my blue screens, 2 software changes occured when I could no longer run 3.6GHz. I both put the Intensity Pro capture card into my computer, and installed my motherboards chipset drivers as I had not done this beforehand.

KezraPlanes

Just some dood

Most likely dying... My CPU has been OC'd from 2.53GHz to 3.30GHz for well over one year, thanks to my cooler I've had zero sideffects, but that doesn't mean it won't happen.

El Xando

"Dam whippersnapper"
Most likely dying... My CPU has been OC'd from 2.53GHz to 3.30GHz for well over one year, thanks to my cooler I've had zero sideffects, but that doesn't mean it won't happen.

Which component do you think is dying?

El Xando

"Dam whippersnapper"
Considering the CPU was the only component mentioned in his post ... :huh:

Yeah OK my bad...

When I couldn't run 3.6GHz all of a sudden, I tried 3.5GHz and got into Windows. I then used Prime95 for a stress test and got a fatal error... something about the rounding being 0.5 when it should have been 0.4 or lower, and to check stress.txt which said that I may not have enough voltage to it or something else...

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
Which component do you think is dying?

Do you still use the stock cooler? What temperature does your CPU get in Idle when OC'd?

El Xando

"Dam whippersnapper"
Do you still use the stock cooler? What temperature does your CPU get in Idle when OC'd?

Pretty much I just have a CPU fan which has a shrouding over it which leads the air out of my PC case. And it was getting around 45 degrees idle, when stress testing got up to around 62...

KezraPlanes

Just some dood

El Xando

"Dam whippersnapper"

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
It's running at about 40 degrees at the moment... What do you mean energy setting? I don't go into my BIOS settings much, is that in Voltage settings?

Yes, that. xD I keep forgetting the english name

El Xando

"Dam whippersnapper"
Yes, that. xD I keep forgetting the english name

OK thanks I'll have a look later, at the moment I am uploading something to YouTube and my upload speed is poor...