• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

What's in a name?

EvilSeph

Administrator
Here it is, the cliche what is the reason for using the alias you do thread.

But seriously, I always find it interesting where people got their aliases from. It sometimes gives you an insight to what they like, what kind of person they are, etc.

So, EvilSeph. Although I go by many different names for various reasons, my original alias was Sephiroth back when FF wasn't crazily popular and people still used real names on the internet (crazy people). Over time I found that Sephiroth had become a really popular name and that if you were looking for me, there was a really high chance you may find someone else using the name. Sometimes, this lead to problems because what people saw really wasn't me at all.

When thinking of a new alias, I couldn't really come up with anything (I'm really bad with coming up with names). I decided to stick with Sephiroth and opted to make it more unique by adding "Evil" to the beginning.

However, and this is where you get to learn something about me through the story behind my alias, I am really, really picky and so "EvilSephiroth" is just way too long. Since I really hate long names for multiple reasons, I opted to truncate my alias to EvilSeph and have stuck with it for a while now (unless I'm involved in another project which requires credit, that's when I use a different alias) because the short form of it flows nicely: "ES".

So what's in a name? Or, more specifically, what's the story behind your "name"?

Moose

Meta Moose
Sat down on my PC, stared at the screen for a while trying to think of an alias, but failed. So I went to get a glass of water and saw a stuffed toy moose next to my bro's bed while walking through the hall. So I stuck Island on the end and stuck with it for about a year. Then I went through about 5 other names and then back to Moose_Island/Moose Island. Like you, EvilSeph, I like things to be short and snappy, so I decided to remove the Island

It's a pretty generic name, but I like it. =)

eldiablov

Contributor
Odd name I know. My brother made a runescape account with the name and due to my lack of creativity and I kept it for most things :/

Andy

Champion of the Sun
I made mine around 2 years ago for the original XBOX. I was trying to think of a Gamertag and I just thought of HardlyCapable. I like to think of it as reverse psychology, people thing "Oh he must suck". Then I kick their ass :p

Nah, but I get a lot of the same repeated jokes; "You're Hardly Capable at life" or, "You are Hardly Capable of playing CoD4". As my name for this forum, people just called me Hardly for short, so I decided to use that here.

Vee

My username used to be V, because i really enjoyed the film V For Vendetta and my fav number is 5. Then i thought of doing a phonetical one (sorta like how DFS had his screen name). Now its just stuck.

explosions

It's a long, sad story full of lies, friendships, heartbreaks, and plot twists.

Chathurga

I started using the internet properly (signing up for sites and such) in about '03/04. Back then I used the nick PerfectCell because I was in impressionable youth that liked DBZ ;D
I don't think any of the sites I used that nick on even exist any more.

It was sometime between 2004 and 2005 that I played Eternal Darkness for the Gamecube (seriously bitching game btw). There were four gods in the game which were the embodiment of certain attributes (strength, magic, mind and order/chaos) which I thought was pretty awesome.
And so for reasons I can't recall I started using the strength god's name when I signed up for sites, Chattur'gha. But because I didn't really note the spelling of his name, I spelt it like I heard it: Chathurga (which can be shortened to Chat :D) and so the sexy god you now know was born.
Been using that name ever since and probably always will. I like it because it's completely unique and there's basically no chance it'll be taken when I sign up for sites or services.

That's my story.

Zx30

Beto
I've always loved the Megaman and MegamanX series. Lately though, they've been sucking BIG ASS. They keep releasing EXE games. Don't get me wrong, the first few were awesome. But now they are just getting old. Anyways, here is how my name came about.

Z= Zero from megaman X series
X= Megaman X from Megaman X series.
30 = the number of my birth date. (June 30th).

I first I wanted to make it Xz30 since I like MegamanX more then Zero, but it didn't sound right. Didn't have a nice ring to it or anything.

So then I tried Zx30. It sounds good to me.
It is pronounced "Zee-Ex-30". Sometimes people say Zee-times-30(Which is wrong).It's not a math problem damn it.

Even my real life friends sometimes refer or call me Zx. :D

One more thing. My name was so damn good, Capcom decided to make a game called Megaman ZX a few years ago. They took my idea! T_T

Moose

Meta Moose
I've always loved the Megaman and MegamanX series. Lately though, they've been sucking BIG ASS. They keep releasing EXE games. Don't get me wrong, the first few were awesome. But now they are just getting old. Anyways, here is how my name came about.

Z= Zero from megaman X series
X= Megaman X from Megaman X series.
30 = the number of my birth date. (June 30th).

I first I wanted to make it Xz30 since I like MegamanX more then Zero, but it didn't sound right. Didn't have a nice ring to it or anything.

So then I tried Zx30. It sounds good to me.
It is pronounced "Zee-Ex-30". Sometimes people say Zee-times-30(Which is wrong).It's not a math problem damn it.

Even my real life friends sometimes refer or call me Zx. :D

One more thing. My name was so damn good, Capcom decided to make a game called Megaman ZX a few years ago. They took my idea! T_T

Now to wait for its 30th sequel. ;)

Slasher

Suck It
My friend introduced me to the internet when I was around 8 or 9. We would play Starcraft, Quake and other now-old computer games together all of the time over at his house. I don't really know how I came across the name Slasher, but I know previous to this name I used the alias Blade. My friends name alias was Slappy, so I guess just a play on his alias ended me up with the alias Slasher. So yeah, I've been reppin this name for about 10 years now

Serideth

My friend introduced me to the internet when I was around 8 or 9. We would play Starcraft, Quake and other now-old computer games together all of the time over at his house. I don't really know how I came across the name Slasher, but I know previous to this name I used the alias Blade. My friends name alias was Slappy, so I guess just a play on his alias ended me up with the alias Slasher. So yeah, I've been reppin this name for about 10 years now

Dang I was always convinced you got it from watching bad slasher flicks or something.

Sir_Axxewraith

cant fux widdit
Axxewraith is another name for one of my guitars (Vintage Metalaxxe) and the Sir came from.. I don't know, in the MDPR somewhere.

Seth

MD Party Room
Well umm it my real life name..

Now my other 50 names I had on qj that a whole another story..If you like to know what I was thinking with one of my past names just ask.

MenaceInc

Staff Member
Mine is a joke taken too far really...
Can't remember the exact situation but one of my mates decided to call me Menace since I didn't really have a nick IRL.
Then there was a discussion about who would be most likely to take over the world and we were talking about companies and such.
The progression there is kinda natural...

My other alias though, Shatori Kiriyama...well, that started over a game of Nightfire on the Gamecube...we were thinking of names to use in it and I decided to go for Satoru but when it came to putting it in, Misspelled it and that ended up as Shatori... Then added Kiriyama after watching Battle Royale when it debutted on public television on Channel 4 here in the UK...dam I used to be such an underage weeaboo... :\

Either of those in Google should bring me up though except for a WoW character called MenaceInc...there's a Youtube video of that guy fighting someone called Toilet xD

amrcidiot

MFM Survivor
This was back in the day when I used to like Green Day.
It stuck with me ever since.

I was going to put amrcnidiot.... but i forgot the n, make "idiot" suitable.