• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Your favorite Final Fantasy?

xploren

Contributor
eh tactics. Tactics is failsauce. All tactical rpgs are failsauce.

I love you.

Josey Wales said:
Not many people played IX for some reason. I think when IX came out the PS2 hype so was crazy nobody cared, plus with the redesign of the fantasy RPG that Squaresoft did (characters being more human and having humanly acts and emotions i.e. cussing, looking like adults, being human, giving more geniune attitude) alot of people were thrown of when they added a more magical fantasy edge back into FF along with very childish looking characters.

You're most likely right.

Craig Fairfax

illuminati Vereran
eh tactics. Tactics is failsauce. All tactical rpgs are failsauce.

Not many people played IX for some reason. I think when IX came out the PS2 hype so was crazy nobody cared, plus with the redesign of the fantasy RPG that Squaresoft did (characters being more human and having humanly acts and emotions i.e. cussing, looking like adults, being human, giving more geniune attitude) alot of people were thrown of when they added a more magical fantasy edge back into FF along with very childish looking characters.

You deserve to lose a testicle for that first part. put i can see the second part making sense. I haven't played it since the year it came out so I don't know.

Josey Wales

Evil Poptart
You deserve to lose a testicle for that first part. put i can see the second part making sense. I haven't played it since the year it came out so I don't know.

Dude ive given MORE than ample chances for tactical RPGs to tractor beam me in and every time ive been disappointed, the only game that even came remotely close was Disgaea, but then I got sober and came to my senses

Trigun

That guy, who Records Music.
that doesn't make Trpg's failsauce. You simply don't like them, just like, I for instance don't like God of war. Honestly I think of GoW as a DMC/Beserk ripoff with a different story. But that doesn't make it failsauce. I just don't like it ----.----

as far as IX goes, I love it. The reason why it was largely ignored is because all the Newbie fans that joined around VII time thought it was gonna be some revolutionary rpg set in the future like VII and VIII were. But it wasn't, and also because many were turned off by it's return to the Roots of FF and Super deformed Character style. And i'm pretty sure probably it's because of those people and those opinions why the only games we get like IX anymore are the IV and III remakes on DS.

imported_Blaze

Pending Rating.
Mine, hands-down, FF VII..

I played it when I was around 5 or 6 and couldn't even read, but I got to the 2nd disc, but then I accidentally erased my data =/

-chw42-

Like a Boss
I liked Crisis Core, tbh. It was almost like seeing what happened before 7 and how it all came to be. Was great to play.

Crisis Core is what got me hardcore into Final Fantasy. I've finished FF VII and FF VIII ever since I played it last year.

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
It was pretty good. The ending was one of my favorites as well.

The ending of Crisis Core is nothing short of Epic... If that doesn't make you want to cry, nothing will...

Josey Wales

Evil Poptart
I just didnt like the lack of free roam. The game was very linear and the whole hunting thing got very mundane after a while. The combat was cool and the story was amazing of course, but way too linear for me to love it. I enjoyed it, would play it again if my douche ass friend would give it back to me

Trigun

I just didnt like the lack of free roam. The game was very linear and the whole hunting thing got very mundane after a while. The combat was cool and the story was amazing of course, but way too linear for me to love it. I enjoyed it, would play it again if my douche ass friend would give it back to me

Maybe you should play more WRPG's then. Pretty sure those will satisfy your need to "roam free". Gameplay in WRPG's are excellently known for letting you make choices and have more open worlds. Sure they take a hit in the story and characters (imo) but the gameplay is great.

agentnnc

That Guy I Am
I remember playing one of them as a kid...I can't remember which it was but it was on the PS1 where the opening level was a hospital.

That one was pretty good.

twelve

I'm not dead
I remember playing one of them as a kid...I can't remember which it was but it was on the PS1 where the opening level was a hospital.

That one was pretty good.
It's not a Hospital. It's the infirmary of balamb garden (school).

That's Final Fantasy VIII

Josey Wales

Evil Poptart
Maybe you should play more WRPG's then. Pretty sure those will satisfy your need to "roam free". Gameplay in WRPG's are excellently known for letting you make choices and have more open worlds. Sure they take a hit in the story and characters (imo) but the gameplay is great.

wrpgs?

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
Western RPG's. Everything not from Japan. And I have to disagree, I've played WRPG's with engaging stories and plots. BioWare games would be a great example.

Trigun

Western RPG's. Everything not from Japan. And I have to disagree, I've played JRPG's with engaging stories and plots. BioWare games would be a great example.

you mean Wrpg's right? And of course there are always exceptions to the stereotypes. Personally I've only played a few WRpgs where the story has kept me hooked at all. And some games a plot just seems irrelevant. But that's just me. However though i'm looking forward to finally getting to play KOTOR 1 and 2 and sometime mass effect. Some of the ones i havnen't gotten the chance to play yet.

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
you mean Wrpg's right? And of course there are always exceptions to the stereotypes. Personally I've only played a few WRpgs where the story has kept me hooked at all. And some games a plot just seems irrelevant. But that's just me. However though i'm looking forward to finally getting to play KOTOR 1 and 2 and sometime mass effect. Some of the ones i havnen't gotten the chance to play yet.

Thanks for correcting me :p I've edit my post... But yeah, that's what I meant. As far as what you're gonna play is concerned, KotOR 1 is a total win storywise, KotOR 2 is not as good storywise (it's not a BioWare game, it was made by Obsidian Ent.) but makes up in new features (influence system kick ass). Mass Effect is gi-nourmous and is a must-play when it comes to WRPGs. The upcoming Dragon Agr seems like another win too... If you don't mind outdate graphics I highly recommend Nevewinter Nights 1 and expansions, it's the best they ever made although Baldur's Gate 1 & 2 are pretty solid too.