• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Obama to Seek New Assault Weapons Ban

Joey

Without reading previous posts(This is because I know I will get enraged) - Guns don't kill people, people kill people. More people die from car accidents than guns

Some articles:
Campaign For Liberty Hospitals... Not Guns.
WikiAnswers - How many people die in car crashes each year
How many people are killed every year in the US by guns? - Yahoo! Answers

To do the math for you:
About 30k people die per year from guns
About 311k people die per year from cars

Ban cars!

I'm sure I could find exact statistics from a government website, but I thoroughly do not want to.

When the USA's pathetic army gets taken out by a larger army and we get invaded - without guns, we won't have anything, and that is what scares me about banning guns. It will happen, it's just a matter of time.
Cars have a significant benefit to society... Guns do NOTHING but kill things (people or otherwise)... That's a gun's only use.

There is no reason for a civilian to have an Uzi, or an M16, or anything more obscene than a standard pistol. Create a standard, and make everthing else illegal.

soha

You are obvious very well read on the matter since you only missed the year in which the law was passed by 60 years.

The law also meant certain models of the Ak47 were banned which were classified as.....semi-automatics.

No, I was somewhat right.

I live in northern Minnesota where virtually everyone hunts, and I don't know of anyone who owns a[HIGHLIGHT] fully automatic assault rifle[/HIGHLIGHT].

He mentioned fully auto rifles, and I said:

GOD FUCKING DAMMIT I AM RAGING SO HARD. WE ARE DISCUSSING SEMI AUTO RIFLES. [HIGHLIGHT]Fully auto riles have been banned since like 1934[/HIGHLIGHT]. also notice that i didn't attach my image in that other post

I was wrong, they became heavily regulated (not banned) in 1934
Wikimedia Error
And have only been used in two crimes since 1934, one by a cop.

The AWB didn't ban fully auto rifles, just scary looking semi autos. there is a huge difference between a semi and fully auto rifle in case you didn't know.

---------- Post added at 04:17 PM EST ---------- Previous post was at 04:11 PM EST ----------

Cars have a significant benefit to society... Guns do NOTHING but kill things (people or otherwise)... That's a gun's only use.

There is no reason for a civilian to have an Uzi, or an M16, or anything more obscene than a standard pistol. Create a standard, and make everthing else illegal.

Wow, where to begin... people can only own semi autos, so dont worry, a kid isnt going to burst into a store and spray the room with 100 rounds in 3 seconds (unless he has a fast ass finger). do you feel that people cant own rifles because they are used in crime? well pistols are used 98% of all gun related crime. also try telling people who hunt that they cant own a rifle and have to use a pistol to hunt a deer. or do you feel people cant own an ar-15 because they look scary?

Mister Chief

No, I was somewhat right.

He mentioned fully auto rifles, and I said:

I was wrong, they became heavily regulated (not banned) in 1934
Wikimedia Error
And have only been used in two crimes since 1934, one by a cop.

The AWB didn't ban fully auto rifles, just scary looking semi autos. there is a huge difference between a semi and fully auto rifle in case you didn't know.

---------- Post added at 04:17 PM EST ---------- Previous post was at 04:11 PM EST ----------

Wow, where to begin... people can only own semi autos, so dont worry, a kid isnt going to burst into a store and spray the room with 100 rounds in 3 seconds (unless he has a fast ass finger). do you feel that people cant own rifles because they are used in crime? well pistols are used 98% of all gun related crime. also try telling people who hunt that they cant own a rifle and have to use a pistol to hunt a deer. or do you feel people cant own an ar-15 because they look scary?

Please stop stating shit you made up as fact.

soha

Joey

No, but if you try to take all guns away from a gun nut, they lose their fucking minds, so it's the only comprise I can come up with. You can have your guns, but they have to be strictly for defense of your home. All you need is ONE pistol. Anything bigger, and more numerous, and you're just kidding your self.

No, but if you try to take all guns away from a gun nut, they lose their fucking minds, so it's the only comprise I can come up with. You can have your guns, but they have to be strictly for defense of your home. All you need is ONE pistol. Anything bigger, and more numerous, and you're just kidding your self.

Idk i sort of enjoy sitting on my roof picking of people who walk on my lawn with my 50 cal :p

Darth Budd

Inna-Gadda-Davida

Handguns are responsible for the vast majority of gun crimes. I would much rather handguns be made illegal, while owning one shotgun for home defense. A shotgun cannot be easily concealed without heavy modification, and the shot from low penetration cartridges will not penetrate the beams in someones homes after a few yards. Also, Rifles typically have lower calibers than handguns, a .22 for instance is very unlikely to kill or seriously injure a person unless it hits them in an overly vulnerable spot. 50 cent after all, was shot with this caliber seven times I think. On the other hand, rabbits and squirrels beware.

NoEffex

Seth's On A Boat.
Handguns are responsible for the vast majority of gun crimes. I would much rather handguns be made illegal, while owning one shotgun for home defense. A shotgun cannot be easily concealed without heavy modification, and the shot from low penetration cartridges will not penetrate the beams in someones homes after a few yards. Also, Rifles typically have lower calibers than handguns, a .22 for instance is very unlikely to kill or seriously injure a person unless it hits them in an overly vulnerable spot. 50 cent after all, was shot with this caliber seven times I think. On the other hand, rabbits and squirrels beware.

You do have a point. However, people will still get handguns, as whoever wants a gun will just import it from a neighboring country(I make it sound so easy, it's not naturally, but they end up smuggled, and if they were banned the demand would skyrocket).

You cannot take away the rednecks guns. If you try you'll have riots and such, it won't be pretty.

Slasher

Suck It
You do have a point. However, people will still get handguns, as whoever wants a gun will just import it from a neighboring country(I make it sound so easy, it's not naturally, but they end up smuggled, and if they were banned the demand would skyrocket).

You cannot take away the rednecks guns. If you try you'll have riots and such, it won't be pretty.
It's hard to use that defense considering this practice has never been attempted before. Whose to say getting guns from a 'neighbouring country' is even practical?

I've said it before and I'll say it again... Taking away guns at this stage in a gun-loving countries life isn't going to happen overnight (or possibly even at all). There are already so many guns out there in circulation it would naturally take a lot of work to start getting them removed. Americans love their guns so much for whatever reason and so removing them outright will not work well among the generally right wing attituded people. If there's to be any positive solution to the ridiculously high crime rates, then there's going to have to be many steps involved in slowly removing the amount of guns that are already out there and available. In my opinion, increasing the amount of guns in families homes and allowing a greater variety of "killing machines" to be out there is in no way productive in countering the 30,000+ homicides per year. This Assault Weapons ban I believe might be considered just one of these steps.

Guns are totally unnecessary imo, I'm damn glad that I don't have to deal with them or care about them over here.

Well i just figure if you take away all guns then the only people who will have them are criminals so that really doesnt help at all. Because if a gang member or drug dealer wants a gun they will get a gun it would just make arms dealers more money by banning them ourtright. Also If we took away guns who know maybe you would see people commiting more homocides with chainsaws mideival maces or wors. Here in America we have some pretty fucked up stuff so who knows what crazy people would do without guns, just my 2 cents

NoEffex

Seth's On A Boat.
Well i just figure if you take away all guns then the only people who will have them are criminals so that really doesnt help at all. Because if a gang member or drug dealer wants a gun they will get a gun it would just make arms dealers more money by banning them ourtright. Also If we took away guns who know maybe you would see people commiting more homocides with chainsaws mideival maces or wors. Here in America we have some pretty fucked up stuff so who knows what crazy people would do without guns, just my 2 cents

Exactly. The only thing this would do is take away guns from the responsible people. Anybody who wants a gun will smuggle it from a neighboring country. Disarming a nation is very foolish, and impossible.

Just remember, guns don't kill people, people kill people, and did so before guns ever existed, and will do so after guns are gone.

Robby

Los Doyers!
I think they should ban AP bullets. There is only one use for them and that's to kill a human basically since humans are the only things that wear bullet proof vests.
Those should be ban, I also like the idea of banning handguns and keeping a shotgun for home defense as it is true that one cannot easily hide a shotgun from the public.

Slasher

Suck It
Exactly. The only thing this would do is take away guns from the responsible people. Anybody who wants a gun will smuggle it from a neighboring country. Disarming a nation is very foolish, and impossible.

Just remember, guns don't kill people, people kill people, and did so before guns ever existed, and will do so after guns are gone.
I know I'll never convince you of anything other than your own ultra-conservative views, but maybe the following will get you thinking... even if just a little bit.

Guns make it a hell of a lot easier and even give confidence to those who might otherwise never have the guts to kill someone. They give anyone that extra push they need to commit a crime. If you have a gun, you feel empowered. You're at an equal level with law enforcement, and you can do whatever you want without anybody telling you what to do. It can give even the weakest of people the power that they need to do what they will.

Guns are an easy means to kill people. While the person on the giving end is the one who ultimately pulls the trigger, what gave this person pulling the trigger a means to killing that person he's aiming the gun at? If this person on the giving end didn't have a gun, the person on the receiving end will likely not have met his demise. This is why society focuses on reason and figuring things out diplomatically these days. We shouldn't be solving our problems by killing each other, we should be promoting compromise.

Sure, mankind used to kill each other in the past, and we even today still continue to. Isn't it sad that despite how intelligent we have become, some of us still choose to kill and act against society? Mankind has been killing each other for ages, but now it's as easy as ever. This easiness contributes to even more lives being lost because snap decisions can determine somebody else's fate.

So you say guns don't kill people, people kill people? I say both guns and people kill; guns just make it easier. People are indeed ultimately responsible for pulling the trigger, but the national murder rate would surely fall if widespread gun availability didn't make it so incredibly easy to kill another human being.

Robby

Los Doyers!
Guns are involved in a great deal of killings though. So I think guns do kill people, when someone holds a gun they feel this rush of power, that can lead to the idea of said person doing whatever he wants and thus may result in said person injuring another person.

EDIT: Yea, just read what Slasher said above me, he explains it better.

soha

I don't see why you guys keep saying that guns do kill people, which is an inanimate object given responsibility?

Also slasher don't you agree that we should go after the source of the violence? Like I said before, gun violence is a symptom, banning them or regulating them might the national homicide rate drop, but we might instead see a large increase of stabbings or or beatings like in the UK. IMO that is not a good trade off. Like you said before, our country is saturated with guns, so the only thing banning them will do is take them away from law abiding citizens, criminals wont have a problem getting them nor breaking those stupid laws that prevent carrying them around, because what do you know, they're criminals.