• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Obama passing new law to allow searching of PC's, Laptops, and media devices

Whisper

Logic :(
As Joey said, not a huge deal. Unless you're an r-tard telling some cop you just downloaded 15 GB of shit, he's not going to search your hard drive.

The fact that the right wing people on this forum are even bitching is because Obama is passing it.

If you feel like your privacy is being invaded, don't do illegal shit. That's the risk you take. If you're perfectly clean (which I know some of you are not), you have NOTHING to worry about.

You don't have to be doing anything illegal to be offended your privacy is being infringed. Not to mention that I am a strong Obama supporter, so forgive me for disagreeing with a policy he is passing.

eldiablov

Contributor
They aren't going to break down a gaming forum goer's door and catch him with his trousers down his ankles, if that's what your worried about :/

I never see a problem with something like this. Just don't associate with the wrong people and you'll never become a suspect.

-chw42-

Like a Boss
You don't have to be doing anything illegal to be offended your privacy is being infringed. Not to mention that I am a strong Obama supporter, so forgive me for disagreeing with a policy he is passing.

And you won't ever be in trouble if you're not doing something wrong.

If you have something illegal and you are caught, you should go to jail, period. That's the way it should work. The fact that the American public is protected by the bill of rights and the 4th amendment is a privilege. It almost doesn't make sense. If you are caught with cocaine without a warrant or the officer searched without your consent, you technically aren't guilty? What?

I've lived in a country where if you are caught, in any way, warrant or not, you are fucking done. You will go to jail and you won't have a fair trial. I must say, I'm pretty damn glad to be living here after knowing that that's what happened in the place that I was once an inhabitant in.

soha

If you have something illegal and you are caught, you should go to jail, period. That's the way it should work. The fact that the American public is protected by the bill of rights and the 4th amendment is a privilege. It almost doesn't make sense. If you are caught with cocaine without a warrant or the officer searched without your consent, you technically aren't guilty? What?

I've lived in a country where if you are caught, in any way, warrant or not, you are fucking done. You will go to jail and you won't have a fair trial. I must say, I'm pretty damn glad to be living here after knowing that that's what happened in the place that I was once an inhabitant in.

This is what idiots actually believe.

Whisper

Violating privacy may catch people who do illegal things. But you're also infringing on the innocent. You can't assume everyone is guilty. Everyone has a right to privacy... not a privilege.

A warrant is very easy to get. A judge will fax one directly to a cop in a matter of minutes. Not only does this protect the rights of the people but it keeps the cops judgment in check. Why would you want to get rid of that? If the cop has a reason to suspect you beyond personal racism or bias then he will get a warrant guaranteed.

This law is just open for abuse. It has no checks or balances.

eighty4

When's the last time the police knocked down your door, just to see if you or your mom were smoking a joint?

Whisper

When's the last time the police knocked down your door, just to see if you or your mom were smoking a joint?

So they have a warrant in this situation? I'd invite them in and give them a cup of joe.

If they didn't I'd be within the law to deny them access inside my home. I'd let them in but legally they have no right to be in my house.

Cops can't search your home without a reason to. Same should go for the internet. Especially since it is a easier task. What you are missing is cops can already do these things legally, why should we bend over? If cops aren't going to search your computer without reason why should they be given the opportunity?

Tommi

We have the same law in the UK, the government can access your computer without you knowing.

Show me that Law?

As far as I was aware, no-one can just enter my house and search my computer, and if they tried to enter via the internet, it would show up in my hardware firewall logs.

Also, even if they did have a warrant to do such a thing, they still need your password, which the courts cannot order you to submit to anyone.

Also, In my case, I have TPM (Trusted Platform Module) built into my motherboard, and a USB authenticator which locks my PC if it is not inserted.... I pray I never loose that.

NoEffex

Seth's On A Boat.
Show me that Law?

As far as I was aware, no-one can just enter my house and search my computer, and if they tried to enter via the internet, it would show up in my hardware firewall logs.

Also, even if they did have a warrant to do such a thing, they still need your password, which the courts cannot order you to submit to anyone.

Also, In my case, I have TPM (Trusted Platform Module) built into my motherboard, and a USB authenticator which locks my PC if it is not inserted.... I pray I never loose that.

If they got a subpoena then you would have to disclose the demanded information.

-chw42-

Like a Boss
This is what idiots actually believe.

That is what ignorant people believe. The truth of the matter is, a majority of the people on this planet do not have that privilege. China, which holds more than 1/6 of the world's population, don't give their citizens privacy. A majority of the nations in South America and Africa don't give their citizens privacy. India, which has a bill of rights and holds another 1/6 of the world's population, does not have privacy listed as one of their fundamental rights.

Consider yourself lucky that you're living in a developed country that protects its citizens. The rest of the world isn't so lucky.